Master of Magic remake, created by Thea devs, published by Slitherine

Just speaking for myself, but I find that in Caster, overly powerful strategies have an expiration date. Seems to me you can do things in the early game that steamroller anyone nearby, but then you run into rivals that have the next era of spells (uncommons) and now that great strategy will barely keep you even, so you need something new. And this repeats itself again in the rare and very rare spell eras.

For me, this is more fun. I can go to town on a rival or two, but no sense of “game already over.” There’s pressure to gain all the advantage I can quickly, because I may need all that advantage to maintain upper hand in the next era.

I’d also add that especially for the later eras, Caster prevents my planning ahead what my next strategy is going to be. Depends on what spells I find, and what my next circle of rivals turns out to have.

However, I recognize that lots of gamers get a lot of fun out of dealing with a dangerous game world with crushing strategies – broken ones, in the current parlance. And I have no desire to deny those gamers their entertainment.

(I also think that one reason for differing reactions to Caster is how death magic oriented you are. Many incredibly powerful death magic strategies in the original, but in Caster the AI is particularly good at countering death magic, and most of the best strategies I know of do not use it.)

Honestly while I’m jazzed as hell for this remastered MoM - having played/looked into CoM quite a bit since it dropped on Steam last year, I’m really hoping that we can make that work in MoM (officially and eventually, or unofficially).

i enjoy both games for different reasons. com requires knowing all of the insidious strategies and making plans on how to deal with them during game set up. if you dont have a plan for ranged cockatrices stoning your troops your playthrough will be brief. this can be fun for me, the planning ahead of time, but it also severely restricts my options. i can’t play high men and life magic because despite being great fighters, their units will die in heaps against said ranged cockatrices.

mom is not tuned to fight fire with fire. rather it throws huge amounts of less discriminate resource advantages at you, and you can possibly overcome that with smarts. or a thousand combinations of units, heroes, spells, and items. but you arent going to face with your own tactics, and thats a type of fun i like more.

its great to have both options, and mom on impossible still beats most of the things i try. i can guarantee that i win in a dozen ways, but thats not the fun part. the fun is seeing if i can do it just with longbows and no heroes and razing any cities that i take that arent high elf. or whatever crazy thing i can think of.

Coming back to this, I think what people really want to say when they mention how they liked how it was unbalanced/broken, I think what the really mean is “I like how impactful or meaningful each thing felt’, and not 'I sincerely hope the AI is dumb as rocks!”.

In other games you enchant an unit for +1 attack, and it’s a buff that barely can be noticed. In MoM an early buff in an unit could double its value.
In another games summoning a pair of of magical units could be the equivalent of just two more units, that didn’t have to go through the recruit pool/your treasure, in MoM rushing a decent summon spell and summoning a pair of units could change how the midgame evolved by themselves allowing to conquer cities that would be out of reach otherwise.
In the late game the same, you could feel the ever increasing scale of power or how definitive some global enchantment were, while in other games it seems they try to not to do anything too drastic.

That’s what people like, for your spells and units to be impactful, without needing to do 40 of them.

Exactly right! There’s too many +1 damage level-ups in this world.

Tentative optimism!

TLDW: Das Tactics had concerns it would hew too closely to the original, but after playing it he is very impressed with the game

OMG yea!!!

So MoM is my second-favorite game of all time (Wing Commander). I am super excited about this re-release. I’m also a bit fearful that its appeal will be a quick jolt of nostalgia, then fade. Gonna find out!

I hope a modding community develops for it, too, as that would give it more legs.

I was given access to this as well, so put up a bit of a quick look. For whatever reason, my copy let’s me customize a wizard and play with everything though, so maybe that’s changed since last week when Das was recording?

removed

Explanation:

Thanks Scott, I enjoy your previews and will watch tonight.

We appear to have two threads for this game. I guess this is our main thread?

Yeah, I wasn’t sure where to post my video - it seems somewhat random. I’ll let the mods take action ikf they want to, most of the time duplicate threads like this get merged. I’ll flag @tomchick in case he wasn’t aware. This one is older, but the other one has a more relevant title. Could go either way.

Thanks Scott for posting this up. Every time I watch gameplay of this one I get more excited about it. This is probably the game I’m most excited about releasing in the remainder of this year.

And if you decide to keep this one going or start a new one I’m in!

The titles of the two threads is pretty self explanatory. This thread is about the IP being acquired by Slitherine (according to the title of the thread). The other thread is about the new game that’s coming out next month (again, going by the title of the thread).

Sure. But kind of irrelevant if folks are using the two threads interchangeably to talk about the game that’s due to come out soon.

Cheers, thanks for the heads-up, Scott! I’ll get this sorted.

Looks like the makers of Thea 1/2 have announced their new project, a Master of Magic remake. Steam lists it as 2022 and Slitherine as the publisher (purchased IP from Atari 2 years ago).

ABOUT THIS GAME

Master of Magic is a combination of an RPG and a strategy game, a remake of a classic from the 90s.

In Master of Magic you take up the role of one of 14 unique and diverse great wizards who compete with each other to dominate the worlds of Arcanus and Myrror.
Choose from different schools of magic and fantasy races to command, then lead your minions and expand your influence and power across the land.

Recruit and command mighty armies of elves, dragons, dwarves, orcs and many more. Support them with powerful spells. Fight tactical turn-based battles and affect the outcome with your magic.

Research new spells, engage in alchemy, perform rituals and use your arcane powers to change the world around you.
Always beware of the machinations of your rival wizards, who seek to reach your same goals. But in the end, remember: there can be only one Master of Magic.

Features:

• 14 unique playable powerful wizards

• 5 schools of magic and 18 traits to customize your wizard

• Over 60 special abilities

• Over 200 spells to research

• 14 fantasy races to command, including elves, dwarves, trolls, draconians, orcs, klackons, gnolls and many more

• 196 unique unit types

• Over 250 unique magical items, as well as custom crafting

• Two parallel dimensional planes, Arcanus and Myrror

Old thread: Master of Magic remake, created by Thea devs, published by Slitherine

Probably should just keep this new one as well since it’s a cleaner start? Or is this genuinely new and I’m being dumb? Moreso than normal, I mean.

Well, that thread was about the IP being acquired by Slytherine. This one is about the actual game being published by them. (Edit: And after reading through it, apparently that thread is mostly about the new Casters of Magic version of Master of Magic at this point).

Has anyone here played Thea? Is it good?

I’m really looking forward to this. I didn’t even know about the existence of games like Master of Magic or Master of Orion back when they came out. I might have seen a magazine advertisement or something and just glanced past it. My roommate in Seattle told me about them both in 2000, and then we played a TON of hotseat MOO2 together with another friend, and it became one of my all time favorites. He also tried to show me to MOM, but it was just too low resolution for me to understand what I was looking at. MOO2 was still high enough resolution that I can still enjoy it today.