Masters of Doom

Anyone read it?

I haven’t read it, but I did get to read the excerpt that will run on Gamespy next week. I talked to the author, David Kushner, for about an hour for an interview. He really seems to know his subject matter, although he’s clearly a mainstream writer (he kept calling Doom a “videogame”).

Based on the excerpt, it seems like he has a knack for tying a lot of research into a snappy readable narrative with a nice flair for the dramatic.

-Tom

I call videogames videogames. What’s the correct term? Is it just “game”?

I’ve been calling them ‘books’. Apparently that’s been taken, though.

What I call 'em depends on how bad they are.

I call them art. Is that ok?

I don’t care what he calls them as long as they’re fun :P

That was beret Tom posting, I think, therefore the correct term would be “jeux des ordinateurs”.

I’ve just finished it. It’s a quick, easy read and actually a pretty interesting book. My only criticism is Kushner comes off as a huge fan of Romero (and acknowledges in the credits that he stayed with JR and Stevie at their house) and draws a very harsh picture of Carmack.

I’ll give it credit, though, for not pulling too many punches. If you’ve ever had any dreams of how fun it would be to work at id, you might rethink those after reading it.

I’m guessing Tom meant it should have been called a computer game.

Of course, Doom’s appeared on enough consoles that it is, in fact, also a video game. :)

Peter

He stayed at their houses?

He stayed at their houses?

Yep. Of course, I don’t have my copy handy, but he mentions it in his closing remarks. Somewhere around the place where he talks about going through Romero’s Burger King receipts.

I swear to God I’m not making any of this up.

Like, a sleepover? That’s… curious.

He told me he ‘moved’ to Dallas to write the book. I didn’t know that was shorthand for ‘stayed at John and Stevie’s’. Interesting observation, hehutalks, on the portrayals of Carmack and Romero. I’ve talked to both of them. Carmack can certainly come across as arrogant and distant. Romero, on the other hand, is a really easy-going personable guy.

And as for calling Doom a videogame, you’re all a bunch of lightweights. Those of us who know Zelda from a Zerg rush know the difference between a videogame and a computer game. :)

-Tom

I only know Half-Life from Halo.
Oh, and Conker from Command & Conquer.
Do those count?

Your Power Pill

Imagine, for a second, Jesse Jackson reading Andrew Mayer’s post. ^

I agree with Tom. There are computer games and videogames and they deserve separate classification.

What is this, co-op trolling? You guys can’t be serious. Where do you make the distinction? Please don’t say the platform.

Also, if you are kidding, I knew that.

Where do you make the distinction?

Doom is not a videogame. The word ‘video’ implies television. Videogames are played on televisions (console systems) and computer games are played on computers.

Personally, I’m all about bridging the artificial distinctions between console and PC games, but the fact remains that the former are played on televisions and the latter aren’t. Calling Doom a videogame is a sure sign of a layman.

-Tom

Since VGA stands for “Video Graphics Array”, that distinction sounds silly to me.