Mattress advice

Just don’t get your wife on any of that RLS medication.

Apparently it turns you into James Bond.

No problems with that at all. One of the things we looked into was heat build-up and sweating, actually. I hate waking up in a puddle of sweat.

Why does it say “last activity” was 18 minutes ago, when it was 10 years ago?

Restless Thread Syndrome.

A spammer bumped the thread and got their post deleted, but the activity nonetheless holds the thread in the recently updated area of Discourse

Well, I’ll get us back on track: we have a wool mattress that has lasted us a good eight years, but we’ve both been feeling creaky in our lower backs when we wake up lately, even after rotating and flipping it.

What is a good educational ressource to understand the science behind the mattress these days, or better yet, understand what’s good value for money and what’s BS? JeffL’s blog doesn’t seem available anymore.

Not that the childish ads (that seem to be on every YouTube video) for Purple mattresses starring Sasquatches and eggs shouldn’t warn you away anyway, but Buyer Beware for online mattress reviews right now.

I’m thinking about sending one of our interns to buy me a used Trump hotel mattress. I don’t think anything could go wrong with that.

Wife and I have been sleeping on a Casper for the past 3 years. Best mattress I’ve ever slept on. We love it. Not too hot, not too cold, very supportive, hasn’t developed any slump or body pattern in that time. Latexy sort of top, memory foamy below. All in all we really sleep well on it.

Seconded. My wife is the “Princess and the Pea” and swears by Casper.

Start here:

Drill down on mattresses. Scroll down to mattress types and look at the user rating report cards for each type. You’ll learn a little about what you might have and how it might compare, type-wise, to another mattress. Know what you are looking for, and dial that in per type, then you can look at brands and whatnot, or go in your own direction from there.

And even if you don’t buy one there, go try laying on a few different -types- in a store somewhere.

We went from a innerspring to a memory foam mattress a few years ago. There was good and bad in that change, but for the most part, I’m happy with the purchase. They aren’t for everyone. If I had it to do over again, I’d go memory foam again, but I’d try one of the tops that dissipates heat.

We did too. We had a Tempurpedic Rhapsody for a dozen years I think, before we replaced it. Initially we went with an inner spring mattress, and I loved it, but my wife loathed it. So, it was back to a newer Tempurpedic. The memory foam mattresses can be very good for sleeping, but my issues are with other things. One, I like to read in bed, and sitting up on these things is not optimal. You just sort of sink in and slide. Two, no matter how often you rotate it, they tend to develop depressions where you sleep/sit, and while when the mattress is new the depressions go away fairly soon, they last longer and longer as the mattress ages. Three, as noted, in the summer they can be warmer than desired (not a problem in Vermont winters at least).

OTOH, because I tend to flop around while I sleep, they make it great for my wife who doesn’t have to feel like she’s sleeping on a raft at sea.

That’s fantastic! Thank you. Much research ahead.

A good friend linked it to me when we were looking, it provided a LOT of answers for us. I did not go with one of the reviewed brands, but I at least knew what to look for.

Buying a new mattress has become one of my least favorite things to do in life.

My wife and I are not obese, I weigh (currently) 175, she weighs less. But for the last 30 years in buying mattresses we have struggled with body impressions in every mattress, no matter how much we spend, We always buy a King, and within a year, sometimes within months, we end up with a high spot in the middle of the mattress and two permanent indents where we sleep on each side. Of course, the support in that middle “rise” is higher and better than the indents. We spent about $1800 on a name brand mattress about 8 years ago and within 3 months had very noticeable indents. Of course the person who came out and measured the indents said they were normal and did not meet the x inches required by the warranty.

It’s good to try a mattress at the store, of course, but almost every new mattress feels wonderful.

It’s time for us to buy a new mattress, we will go with some form of memory foam, but I hate the process. I read every review site, Amazon reviews, https://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/ , etc. I read reviews of Tempurpedic, Casper, the purple one, https://www.leesa.com/products/leesa-mattress (Wirecutter’s choice and from the Saatva people who have high reviews for their inner spring mattresses) Loom and Leaf, etc. I am convinced reviews are filled with schills, Review sites (“The ten best mattresses!”) seem to contradict each other and several seems fairly shallow on their methods. And of course, the only way to REALLY know what’s the best mattress is not initial feel, but how is it a year from now? 3 years from now? 7 years from now?

It seems like almost all mattresses now have the problem with permanent depressions where you sleep, that develop seemingly after only a few months. Even innerspring mattresses now are designed so you can’t flip them to even it out/extend their life. I blame the memory foam craze; it gets inserted as a layer even in other mattress types.

After researching on the sleeplikethedead website, we got the Innomax mattress we found there with the air support system. It’s like a Sleep Number bed, but 1/2 - 2/3 of the price. We’ve had it for a few months now and really like it, still as flat as the day we bought it, although I was initially put off by the way it was packaged and shipped-- it seemed a little amateurish? Innomax seems to be a really tiny and somewhat old-fashioned company.

Memory foam completely changed my life for the better. Greatly helped me get deeper sleep, helps me avoid compression injuries due to my degenerative nerve disease, and makes sleeping next to someone (in a king) much less disruptive if you have different sleep habits/schedules.

I don’t think the brand matters that much provided it is 100% memory foam (not just a partial layer). They are expensive, but so worth it. How can you not trust astronauts?

I went from a mattress on a platform base bed (single guy) and had to switch after my girlfriend moved in, as she couldn’t sleep on it at all. In fact, she slept in the box spring twin bed in the other bedroom. So we bought a Tempur-pedic Rhapsody, which lasted us more than a decade. She loved it, and it helped greatly with my back pain. But after 2 pregnancies, she grew a massive imprint on her side that nothing could get rid of. Switched to a Beautyrest Black mattress on the same platform base bed, and it’s been awesome for both of us.

Tuft & Needle, a leader in the online “bed-in-a-box” foam mattress industry, has a partnership with Amazon. For Prime Day today they have 20% off all sizes. A King is only $560.

That’s a great deal. I purchased a T&N King for myself recently after doing a lot of research online and in stores as my wife and I desperately needed a new mattress. We’ve been waking up with back pain and tingling arms/hands and have spent numerous uncomfortable nights tossing and turning on our old coil spring mattress (was going on 18 years old!). T&N received a Consumer Reports Best Buy rating, and is highly rated in reviews from owners across several websites. Mattress research online is a cesspool of paid-for-positive reviews, misleading rankings and comparisons, and outright deceit (like some review sites being fronts for the actual company whose products they claim are the best). I combed through a ton of content before making my decision, and it helps that T&N has a 100-day trial where supposedly you can get a full refund if you aren’t satisfied.

I will update this thread with our experiences with the new T&N foam mattress.