Mattress advice

To help combat sleep issues I picked up one of these foam toppers based on a Wirecutter recommendation. Loving it so far.

Purchased, many thanks! Beats shelling out for a new mattress.

Damn, those are so nice and such a good price I’m thinking I could throw one in a tent for car camping.

Tuft & Needle mattress arrived Wednesday. Two mornings in a row now waking up without tingling in my arms or soreness in my back. The support is fantastic, it’s a very firm mattress while at the same time being “soft” in that it doesn’t put pressure on any one area, but sort of feels like floating in a weird (but good) way.

Unboxing was a breeze too. You do need two people to carry the box (it’s awkward and heavy) to your bedroom. Then just open one end and pull out the plastic wrapped rolled mattress. It has two layers of plastic, you remove the thicker outer layer first, then place the still rolled mattress on your bed frame/box springs/whatever, and puncture the second thin layer of wrap. It instantly starts expanding, and you can peel off the remaining plastic easily. It was ready to sleep on in minutes, and there is ZERO chemical or plastic smell.

I’d say my only complaint is the sides. Because of the way the adaptive foam works, it’s meant to support you firmly while you lie flat across a good portion of the surface. If you just sit on the side of the bed, you sink into the mattress. It doesn’t hurt the mattress (it bounces back when you stand up), but it makes sitting on the side of your bed very awkward. Not a real issue for us though considering we have a nook in our bedroom with a couch, chair and table where we watch TV, read and whatnot, so we aren’t usually sitting on or in bed.

Say what you will about Amazon but they can be damn fast. The mattress topper was supposed to get here around July 25th. It just arrived.

I’ll open it up and give it a day to expand and outgas. I also need to get fitted sheet garters to keep the sheet in place. Review soon.

Reminds me of this:

Well, thank you @barstein for the recommendation. The topper, quilted cover over that and extra deep pocket fitted sheet and wow. Like a new mattress. Just so damn comfy. Night and day, so to speak.

I’m obviously in the minority w/r/t mattresses. We bought our house in late 1996. We bought a new mattress to fit our new bed. We splurged … it was some designer-type, but basic mattress that cost $700 at the time.

It’s still there. We’re still on it.

We’ve taken care of it. It’s always been in a plastic sheath that we don’t even notice with the pad and sheets we’ve put over it. We rotate and/or flip it about twice per year.

Granted, both my wife and I are fine with sleeping like cats many nights, on the floor with a blanket or in a chair.

My one-sided mattress sits on wooden slats that tend to slide around and gradually fall down over time, which has always been a huge pain. I finally picked up this low profile box spring for $97 and just finished assembling it and sticking it under the mattress.

Despite the word “spring”, there are no springs. It’s just a very sturdy 5" steel frame, and it got a lot of good reviews.

I’m so relieved that it actually fit on top of the slats, wasn’t 100% sure that it would, and it was a huge job getting it in place without help. Looking forward to finding out how much of an improvement it is tonight!

Hrm … my GF’s mother could use this. She has a shady slat based bed that just does not work really well, for the same reasons as yours.

Thanks for linking this, man.

I bought it too! Took our new “medium-firm” (but actually way-too-firm) mattress to just right. I’m a hot sleeper and haven’t noticed any increase in temperature even on these hot summer nights.

Yeah, that mattress topper is heavenly.

The low profile box spring is also working out pretty well so far. Great build quality and the installation kit was super impressive. The instructions are adequate but, being strictly visual, might require a little experimentation before you get the gist.

We just bought a Tuft & Needle Mint mattress to replace a four year old Dreamfoam mattress. That Dreamfoam mattress has been dead for years, we finally decided to put it out of it’s misery.

After two nights, the Mint is fantastic. We’ll see how it is down the line, but right now it has made such a positive impact on my sleep.

I’m so hyped about mattress we ordered recently. We decided to give Winkbeds (second one here) a try. I felt nervous about on-line purchase at first, but since it has a trial period, I think it’s OK.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but my wife has really been on me about getting a new mattress. Unfortunately, there’s the freakin’ Covid and I’m not going to a store to lay on something. How did your online purchase work out for you 2+ years later?

Coincidentally we had a mattress delivered yesterday in the snow and slush of February. Hard to say how it’s held up after a day, but we did need a new mattress. There are…tons of online mattress vendors these days and 9/10ths of the online reviews are topped by one of the new companies. We went with Saatva and the price was enough that it made me gulp.

Delivery was painless. They took away the old mattress. There were two of them. They were in our home for less than 5 minutes. They stayed masked.

I am a flopper that changes position several times each evening. My wife says the new mattress minimized her discomfort as I changed position.

We’ve had our Casper for many years now and are still happy with it. To the point that we bought one for our guest room bed.

2.5 years after purchase and both my wife and I are still very pleased with the Tuft & Needle king size mattress we bought online. We placed it on top of our old existing box springs and it’s worked perfectly ever since. Still very comfortable 2.5 years in.

This is good to hear. Do you have any other comments on it? Firmness? Edge Support? The edge support is one that concerns me. We share the bed with our two dogs and yours truly always seems to get pushed towards the edge of the world. It’s also good to hear that you’re using this on top of your existing box springs. I didn’t want to spring for a platform bedframe right now. I think it might be too low to the ground.

@dfs, thanks for the info. The Saatva is just too much for us at the moment. Especially since we don’t know if our purchase will get relegated to the guest room after 6 months.

@BennyProfane, can you give some more detail on your experience with the Casper?

We purchased the T&N Original, which is the two-layer mattress. At first my wife was a little worried because it was firmer than a regular mattress, but after a few nights she was sold as her morning soreness was gone and she was sleeping more soundly. Like @dfs mentioned, lateral movement with these mattresses is nearly non-existent, so I can come to bed an hour or two after my wife and she doesn’t wake up when I crawl into bed.

When we bought our mattress I was wary because some people online complained that memory foam made them “sleep hot”, I guess body heat would get trapped between the mattress and the sheets or something and make them all hot and sweaty at night. We have never had this problem, in fact I think I slept hotter with the old school mattress than I do with the T&N.

My only complaint, and it’s a small one, is that memory foam is really at it’s best when you lay across the surface. Sitting on the edge of the bed causes a dip, which while it springs back when you stand up, does make it uncomfortable to sit there longer than it takes to say slip on and tie your shoes. I don’t think that would bother you in the two dog scenario you mention though, as you’re still lying flat and distributing your weight along the surface of the mattress, even if you are close to the edge.