Mattress Firm going away. 500 stores closing

There are videos of people driving past 3 or 4 Mattresses Firms on the same block. Ridiculous didn’t even begin to desribe the situation. Starbucks would be embarassed to have that many cafes that close together.

In Bothell myself. House owners have it much easier than us condo owners/renters. We have a huge problem with people coming by and unloading all their garbage in front of our dumpsters. We get charged for that.

Come to Seattle. I can go to the Starbucks in the grocery store, the one in the parking lot, or the one across the street. If I want to walk, the one a block away as well. Then throw in a couple of local places. I am not exaggerating.

There is an intersection near my house where I can stand on a corner and see two Mattress Firm’s across the street from one another. Just one street, not even cater-cornered or anything.

Not just Seattle. You can find the same here in Tucson. Every time a new commercial building is going up the betting is on if it will be a Starbucks, Walgreens, or MF.

THE STARBUCKS COMMENT WAS HYPERBOLE

Mine has only 4" or so clearance above the ground, so I have to move the whole thing to vacuum. I should look for a replacement sometime soon. 12" above the ground would be awesome, though with the box spring that would be very tall to climb up on.

Moving the bed to vacuum is for suckers. Roomba baby.

People vacuum under the bed? Madness!

When we moved my daughter to the LA area years ago for school, I was amazed how many mattresses were just laying in the streets, I probably saw a dozen or more. Apparently some cities there (she was going to Cal State Northridge) allow you to just put them out and they will pick them up. You can’t do that here.

I have a long haired cat who likes to hang out under the bed. Tons of fur and tons of hairballs.

Good times.

Reminds me of “Allston Christmas” in Boston.

Boston’s obviously a big college town. The Allston neighborhood is very convenient to Boston U and Boston College, and not too tough of a trip for several more like MIT and Northeastern. So, TONS of college kids packing in 6-to-a-2-bedroom every single year. Lots of 9-month leases, to match.

Thus, every June, Allston Christmas as slacker kids dump their collected college life onto the street corners in a race to beat mandatory key dropoff times en route to the airplane home. It was a hell of a sight, year after year. Whole wardrobes, a family’s worth of beds, stacks of kitchen appliances. . . heh. If you didn’t mind secondhand goods from a sidewalk, it was a great time to restock your own place, if your rent went through the summer :)

My daughter had a friend who lived near UCLA and at the end of a semester he was able to get a new TV and couch because students there do the same thing.

My sister used to live in an area where they had a couple days a year where you could put big items out and they would just take them. It was a very wealthy area so on those days apparently it was even common for people from other places to come look at the stuff, and take, what is being thrown away.

Here, if you have a truck it’s pretty common to just go to the dump and the cost is pretty small. I just wanted people to know if you call your local service, they might have some options. Because it was one truck, it seemed silly to ask a family member to drive out to the dump for one thing so I called and asked.

it’s not something anyone ever suggested to me. I thought it would not hurt to ask, and it didn’t!

That is actually done by most cities here now. Twice a year you can put out almost anything and the city will take the items away. You can’t put out paints or other possible pollutants but large appliances and furniture is fine.