Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

The box does roXor, I agree. It’s hefty but slim, “slick as owl shit” as my old man would say.

Why he said that I don’t know, because to my knowledge he never saw a live owl, but whatever…

Wombat, fuck whatever you do for a living now. You’re a noir writer!

Annnnndd…GO!

Oh, but this time, you gotta throw in something about a guy losing his virginity as a metaphor for peeling the wrapper off the box or something. That’s like a staple.

Rock! So this game might have some population control bonuses. Go developers!

My girlfriends father says this. He’s a tobacco farmer, and apparently, owls get into the barns and shit all over the upper rafters, and apparently, its very slippery.

In games.

– Xaroc[/quote]
So, if some game character looks at the control panel of a machine and yells, “SHE’S GONNA BLOW!” then it’s hunky-dory because it hasn’t been done in a game? Come on.

When I get old, I’m going to say this.

Is anyone else bothered by the utter lack of reviews showing up even on the day this game is released? Usually there are several reviews floating around Gamerankings.com leading up to game releases, especially for major titles like this one. Hopefully this isn’t a bad sign.

I never bothered to replay the original Max Payne; I was quite satisified with my first run through the game. That’s probably why I don’t see a lack of replay value with this game as a negative. Some games you play once and that’s enough for them to leave a satisfying memory.

Dude, you’re really stretching here and you know it. Guns had been used in movies for years before first person shooters. Guns, rocket launchers, machine guns. All been done, so maybe this whole genre was a bad idea. Also punching. I believe there were several movies with punching. So screw Double Dragon. Hell, we can really wipe out all but maybe three or four games now. Glad I didn’t waste a lot of time playing these things, I could have watched them all in movies!

Bullet time is a gameplay mechanic, “she’s gonna blow” is a crappy line. It’s not even the same thing.

OK, fine, two whole games. Besides, I thought most of us were smart enough to pass on the Matrix game so I wasn’t counting it. My main point here is that originality is not nearly as important to video games as it is to, uh, let’s say, art. OK, flame on.

Dude, you’re really stretching here and you know it. Guns had been used in movies for years before first person shooters. Guns, rocket launchers, machine guns. All been done, so maybe this whole genre was a bad idea. Also punching. I believe there were several movies with punching. So screw Double Dragon. Hell, we can really wipe out all but maybe three or four games now. Glad I didn’t waste a lot of time playing these things, I could have watched them all in movies!

Bullet time is a gameplay mechanic, “she’s gonna blow” is a crappy line. It’s not even the same thing.

OK, fine, two whole games. Besides, I thought most of us were smart enough to pass on the Matrix game so I wasn’t counting it. My main point here is that originality is not nearly as important to video games as it is to, uh, let’s say, art. OK, flame on.[/quote]

Cathcart is all over it I don’t think I could say it any better. The fact that we agree on something is pretty scary though.

– Xaroc

You’re the one stretching. Action in general is not as unique as a special effect like bullet time. For instance, fighting game, OK. Karate game, OK. Karate game where all the finishing moves look just like the crane kick from Karate Kid, derivative and also cliché.

I don’t think the lack of reviews is a portent or anything, though it does seem they did not ship golds to the press, and that the press is getting it pretty much at the same time we are, more or less. In this case I think it’s just a sort of guerilla marketing tactic to have the game show up on the shelves and bam! there it is. Or something.

TheWombat,

As Petri of Remedy said on another board, the reason no one has reviewed it is the same as why it wasn’t showing up in the warez channels until today:

They didn’t give out any copies at all.

Just played for about two hours, and I’m really enjoying it. I really enjoyed the first one though. Basically, the sequel feels like a slicker version of the first game (so far anyway) so you probably know what you’re getting into.

The graphics are good, but kind of a mixed bag - for example, the models have great faces now, but the bodies look about the same as in the first game. The level architecture thus far is about the same as the first one as well. Everything is super high res though, and the game runs like a fucking champ with everything turned up on my machine. The physics are really neat, and don’t seem quite as goofy as the movies I saw lead me to believe they’d be. Bodies slump nicely, etc.

Special note goes to the audio as noted above. The music quality really surprised me. The sound effects are really nice. The first level is a warehouse (I know, supress the yawn). The sound of rain on the rooftop in this cavernous environment really impressed me. Anyway, maybe it’s my soundcard (onboard nforce 2 audio) but most games sound pretty fucked up with EAX turned on (see PC Halo) - the dialog will drop out like it was recorded in the next apartment over or something and be impossible to hear, with the EAX effects really sounding messed up. None of that in this game for me. For once I kept EAX on instead of immediately unchecking the option.

Combat is the same as before with a couple of welcome improvements. First, you can use grenades and molotovs while your gun is equipped, Halo style. Second, normal bullet time seems a lot more useful this time out. In the first game, I used shootdodges almost exclusively, as regular bullet time really only helped you aim, since you moved as slowly as the enemies. Now, as you kill enemies, your bullet time meter gets yellow. The yellower it gets, the faster you move in relation to enemies. You also reload very quickly in bullet time now, and the effect seems to last a lot longer, so you can really clean out a mess of enemies in one pass with a lot of style.

BTW - the in-game “Dick Justice” bits poke fun at the game’s writing style better than just about any of the parodies I’ve seen. A nice touch.

take a picture of it and post it here!!!

On the one hand, bullet-time has definitely become an overused cliché. That said, there really aren’t that many games that allow you to play in any sort of bullet-time mode. I would be more concerned that Max Payne is a bit of a one-trick pony. Okay, so two tricks, with the over-the-top noir-esque characterization. Then again, most gamers are happy with more-of-the-same, so who am I to complain.

• Alan

Sounds like it should be an expansion pack rather than a sequel.

Post your damn pics will you!?!?!?! WE WANT SCREENSHOTS!!!

interview from Computer and Geek Friends with Sam Lake from Remedy:

"In the sequel [Max Payne 2], the psychological aspect is even more important, so you can expect more nightmare sequences - this time with gameplay that has been better thought out and polished. "

better thought out and polished?! 0_o isn’t that weird for a dev to say about the first title?

isn’t he basically saying that the gameplay in MP1 was shit???

In fact “Dick Justice” itself seems to be a parody of Paine’s life, at least in the first bit of it that I listened to.

I think that Pink Flamingo thing is back too.

Yeah, I found myself using shootdodge almost exclusively.

— Alan

Apparently the second dream sequence in Max Payne 2 replaces the crying baby on infinite loop with Mona having an orgasm on inifinite loop. I suppose that’s a step up. Maybe half a step. Still, if I wanted repetitive sounds, I’d put on a Philip Glass album.

So in other words it made no difference?