Maxis gains an edge

What’s with the new, “edgy and profane” Maxis? I saw this today in an online ad for that most edgy of all computer games, SimCity 4:

“Mayoral Tip #7: Build a big friggin statue of yourself.”

Whoa, now that’s edgy for sure, Wright. Dude, you’re edgin’ out. Xtreme Edge. Still, it’s not completely edgy. Going all the way and using the actual f-word would have been offensive, I guess…

Which brings to mind those recent ads for Emperor: Rise of the Middle Finger. Probably the biggest reason I didn’t buy that game was that I feel like if the marketing suits are so stupid that they don’t understand I don’t like being flipped off in an ad, they don’t deserve my money.

Anyway, just wanted to rant. I think this stuff is friggin ridiculous (ooh, the edge! I can’t stand it…)

Hm, you didn’t like the Emperor ad? Everyone we showed it to thought it was hillarious, and different. Guess you can’t please everyone.

I loved it.

Ugh, I thought it was frigging horrible. And worse, I don’t even know what game its for, I just turn the page quickly.

Count me in…it might have been appropriate for another game, but I didn’t think the Chinese-history-RTS market was into that kind of “edgy” humor.

Hm, you didn’t like the Emperor ad? Everyone we showed it to thought it was hillarious, and different. Guess you can’t please everyone.

Who was “everyone” that you showed it to? Other people in marketing perhaps?

I thought it was incredibly stupid and ugly, and didn’t capture what the game was about at all. I feel bad for the guys who actually made the game.

Yeah, I thought that ad was pretty awful myself. I don’t see how it could appeal to fans of that kind of game, for one thing, and the demographic it might appeal to… well, are they the historical Chinese God-Game type?

EDIT: Sparky beat me to the line.

That was an awful ad. When looking for a good geek game like that, I wanna see that the developers RESPECT the source material, not treat it irreverently.

When, exactly, did good graphic design work get overruled by ostentatious MTV sight gags?

I haven’t seen the ad but I don’t like the sound of it, so put me down as against it.

Too many games trying to make me their bitch…

At least those little white cartons weren’t involved.

Good thread starting here guys… 8)

FWIW, I agree about the Emperor ad. Bad, bad, bad.

That said, what have been – in your opinions – successful ads? And why? And by successful, I mean ads that have made enough of an impact on you to drive you to seek out more info about a game or even go right out and buy it.

Earthbound. You don’t forget an ad that stinks up your magazine. You do, however, rip it out.

You know I can honestly say that an ad has NEVER influenced me to buy anything, the only thing they’ve ever done is drive me away. If I don’t like the ad then I avoid the product as well.
Hmm, reverse marketing. Maybe Coke paid for all those ‘Pepsi girl’ ads that stopped sales in their tracks!!

Box art is more important than ads, I avoided ‘Advance Wars’ cause the box art looked stupid, it turns out it’s one of the best games for the GBA.

On the topic of bad game box art, amusing article recently on gamespy :

Top Ten Worst Covers

Although I can’t say ads ever make me want to buy any games, I did like a Simcity 4 ad (not the friggin statue one) that was a mayoral election flier filled with patriotic imagery and campaign promises checked off with a hearty YES. “Housing on active volcanoes? YES!”

I find it very difficult to believe those are the worst box covers they could come up with. And “Phalanx”, that space shooter with a hillbilly on the cover: pure genious. (Can’t figure out why they never sent me any royalty checks for that photo, either…)

“…what have been – in your opinions – successful ads? And why? And by successful, I mean ads that have made enough of an impact on you to drive you to seek out more info about a game or even go right out and buy it.”

I thought the Dungeon Siege ad with basically just the box cover design of that elvish woman holding a flaming sword was very, very good. That single image communicated everything the game was about in an attractive, inviting way without insulting anyone’s intelligence (or just plain insulting them, as the Empire ad does). I think Microsoft owes a huge bonus to whoever did that marketing plan for them, as I think it alone probably doubled or tripled DS’s sales.

The Rise of the Middle Finger ad was probably there because that game had a terminally low profile, so marketing figured something that bold could only help and not hurt a game nobody was talking about anyway. They were probably right, but really, it was a bad idea I think.

Age of Empires, and more recently, Age of Mythology, had great ads that showed units in formation and laying siege to cities. The fact that you actually couldn’t gather that big an army, and that the game really didn’t encourage that sort of city building was inconsequential to the fact that this ads showed in game graphics and looked very cool.

My vote for worst ad goes to Battlecruiser 3000AD. Sorry Derek, I know you didn’t have anything to do with that. It was a 2-pager, and featured the game’s title and half a underwear clad model running off the page flinging her bra behind her (the potential good part of this photo was the running off the page part). Derek, if you have a scan of this ad, please share and describe how you felt when your baby got marketed thus.

[size=2]EDIT to add the parenthetical[/size]

As we all know, sex sells. It even sells Battlecruiser 3000AD. Apparently.

In that case change the name to Battlebabes 40DD.

In that case change the name to Battlebabes 40DD.[/quote]

I’m so ashamed that I would actually buy that…