Maybe we don’t want to eat Sushi anymore...

“Well done, please.”

*”But sir, the chef…”

“Tell the chef i’m an uncivilized barbarian. Then cook it till it’s burned.”

Well that’s it. Well done hamburgers from now on.

You should be doing that anyway, meat grinders are a bacteriological nightmare. If you want something less-than-done, stick to steak.

Dude, preaching to the choir. If it’s a whole slice, cook it nice. If it’s ground meat, turn up the heat. :)

It is, for large commercial fishermen. However, some smaller fishermen don’t always freeze their fish.

Good point.

I ate lots of sushi while living in Japan and never had a problem. Of course that was sushi from Japan. They would never even think of freezing it either. Heresy! Plus each piece was generally only 50c so it was cheap as Hell too.

I ate a meatball in the interior of China once. It was bloody. I ask what type of meat it was. Pig. I spat that shit out. I saw a huge intestinal parasite in a jar once, I don’t want one of those. I am already too thin.

A doctor was with me at the time, he was like, “sure it tastes good, but one day, 20 years later…” and starts saying the symptoms of trichinosis. Jerk!

Nah, about half of all the sushi in Japan is also frozen.

Turns out, the Japanese market actually cares less about this than Americans do.

I actually went and found this old article i read years ago about this, which was interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/nyregion/sushi-fresh-from-the-deep-the-deep-freeze.html#:~:text=Most%20would%20be%20even%20more,frozen%20first%2C%20to%20kill%20parasites.

Lots of interesting stuff. They talk about how it’s not always frozen, because people assume someone else already froze it. They also point out that the main reason it’s frozen is because people want to eat sushi that’s not in season.

They also point out that despite what some Americans think, they probably couldn’t tell the difference between the frozen product and the fresh.

I actually assumed that someone could, but like I said initially, my palette isn’t refined enough to. But if the sushi chef at nobu can’t tell, I’m skeptical many could.

You can tell if a fish has been frozen if you steam it. It’s mushy.

For those that don’t already know, there’s a big difference between regular freezing and flash freezing. In flash freezing you cool down the thing so fast that large crystals don’t have time to form in the freezing water inside the thing you’re freezing. Ice crystals are the thing that destroys texture and makes things mushy, not the temperature. The water inside cells expands and tears the cell membranes, but if you can keep those crystals small then more cell membranes can remain intact. Ever freeze a strawberry and then let it thaw on the counter? It’s a mushy, wet mess, unless you’ve gotten the ones frozen in an industrial flash freezer, which come out like fresh. Ice cream straight from the store is soft because it has small ice crystals, but every time you bring it out and put it back it refreezes slowly and the ice crystals reform bigger.

Flash frozen sushi that hasn’t been allowed to thaw out and been refrozen is going to be super duper fresh, especially if you compare it to a piece of fish you take out of your freezer at home, which thawed on the way home from the grocer, or that thawed in the refrigerated box at the grocery store.

All sushi grade seafood in the UK is frozen. Until at least, the Brexiters scrap UK food regulations and start importing US rubbish. At least this issue won’t be the case as I imagine seafood imports will be frozen anyway. Stuff like pork parasites are a different matter. The US meat industry is corrupt and not to be trusted.

Mr Giordano outlined some of the US pig sector’s key demands, which include:

• Ending tariff rate quotas, allowing imports of pork produced using ractopamine – a muscle-boosting feed additive banned in many countries
  • Dropping the requirement for trichinae (parasitic roundworm) tests or freezing
  • Permitting “pathogen reduction treatments” such as chlorine washing or meat dosed with antimicrobials
  • Allowing pork imports from USDA-approved plants without equivocation

I have a question. For those giant trawlers than bring in tens of thousands of fish at a time (not necessarily tuna), how can they possibly “flash freeze” them all at a time. With that much bio-density, it seems like, sure, the stuff at the sides of the freezer would get flash frozen, but the stuff in the middle would take so much longer to chill and finally freeze.

it’s just some kind of conveyor belt machine isn’t it

Large, sophisticated factory ships and all that