Mayor of Toronto on the Way Out

Some people should die.

That’s just unconscious knowledge.

This is a little late, but I’m sorry that the man’s gone. I mean, it’s another life lost, no matter what.

I was in Toronto back in end-2013 when his admission to using crack broke, and there was so much negative coverage in the media. It’s sad that public memory of him may be all negative, and whilst I don’t know enough about it all, I feel bad for him that it all ended this way.

The infamous crack video has now been released.

Holy smokes the electorate is dumber than I thought rob Ford’s drug dealer older brother Doug won the conservative leadership in Ontario

I figured the PCs were a lock for winning this coming election, what with so long a stretch with the Liberals in charge. No way in hell I am voting for Dough Ford though. Which probably means he will cruise to an overwhelming victory.

All the other candidates must have split the “not crazy” and “pro thug” vote

Apparently they had some kind of instant runoff voting, which should have avoided the split scenario. Though they also had a complex vote weighting scheme based on what riding the voter was in. Of course, many votes were mistakenly assigned to the wrong riding…

Part of me always wondered whether Rob Ford wasn’t a Russian (and Mercer et al) dry run for Trump, an attempt to see if they could elect the unelectable.

Someone should see what the bots are up to in the wake of this.

What is wrong with people???

Drug dealers learn important business skills that are in high demand in government. You really couldn’t pick a better candidate.

You are pro-business, aren’t you?

He’s basically Canada’s Trump.

He speaks truth to power!! (Or retarded to power. Or something…)

And the liberals responded to him becoming the PC leader by going on a spending spree. In a province that is up to its neck in debt. It’s like they are daring me not to vote for them. “You know you can’t vote for that guy, so we’ve got you right where we want you!”

Just compare it to US debt and you’ll feel a trillion times better.

I’m all for it. Free daycare for my daughter? Fantastic! Dental coverage? Awesome! They’ve basically made Ford go on record saying, “Think of the poor people who make $130,000 who will have to pay an extra $200 taxes per year!”

Are these poor people sleeping with Trump perhaps?

Damn, that sounds pretty good.

Yes, in isolation they are all nice things.

I would respect them more if the government was proposing paying for the new services with increased taxes. Then people could have a reasonable discussion about whether these services are worth the increased burden.

Instead, they decide to plunge back into deficits when the economy is going like gangbusters and promise to return to balance in five or six years (assuming everything continues to go well). Except that a recession is almost guaranteed to happen between now and then, which will blow the deficit sky-high.

6a00d83451688169e201bb09fc70ae970d-750wi

The pattern has been have a recession, add another 15-30% GDP to the debt load. Right now, we could pay for all these new services and more out of the existing taxes if we hadn’t already accumulated so much debt (debt payments are on track to hit $20 billion per year in a few years under reasonable interest rate assumptions). As we pile on more debt, the we can expect the quality of services we get per tax dollar to go down.

Ontario already has the largest provincial or state debt in North America. If we continue to pile on the debt we will continue to get fewer services per tax dollar (as debt payments eat more of the budget). At some point the province becomes less attractive and people and businesses decide to move out, not move in or lower investment.

A vicious cycle where economic growth is severely outpaced by debt growth is a real possibility. Unlike national governments, provincial governments can actually go bankrupt. At the future point where the debt forces the services to be drastically cut back, the disruption to everyone’s lives would be severe.

Hollywood still hasn’t learned: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/10/in-movie-about-crack-mayor-rob.html