Mayor of Toronto on the Way Out

My statement doesn’t really depend on where the poster’is from. Certainly, if you think I was implying that Canadians (or other nationalities) can’t construct inane, drive-by Internet arguments, you are mistaken. I was hyping up my love affair with what I consider unicorns in Canada.

Canada is pretty great, and it is that way because of combination of liberal values and responsible government.

We have a genuine left wing in politics which does not exist at all in the US, and although they have never formed a federal government they capture enough votes to pull the government more towards the true political center. the conservatives are badly outnumbered but because of the center-left split they do occasionally gain power, but it’s tenuous enough that they can’t go too crazy.

Somehow it all works.

Narrator: it’s not a thing.

You don’t understand what that word means.

Things that think they are unique and special (edit but only in private), but are 99.9999% white?

Sometimes people pee on them.

Forgot what a sewer this sub-forum was. O.k., enjoy yourselves.

I’d actually be interested in learning more about Steven Harper from both sides. I about 6 to not really knowing much at all about Canada’s government.

Lucille: Well, I may not have been a perfect mother, but you know kids don’t come with a handbook.

Narrator: In fact, there are thousands of books written on child rearing. But Lucille was in denial.

. . .

“It’s official — the Harper government muzzled scientists. Some say it’s still happening” CBC, March 22, 2018.

“Harper government broke its own rules by muzzling scientists, investigation finds” National Observer, March 15, 2018.

“When Canadian Scientists Were Muzzled By Their Government”, The New York Times, February 14, 2017 (Op-Ed)

Canadian Scientists Explain Exactly How Their Government Silenced Science Smithsonian, January 30, 2017.

Harper’s attack on science: No science, no evidence, no truth, no democracy Academic Matters, March 2013.

Harper’s Humiliating Muzzle on Scientists, The Tyee, March 25, 2010.

(All from the first page of a single Google search…)

And they still feel muzzled to this day!

Imagine that Stephen Harper – muzzling scientists without even being in office for the past three years.

Note your NYT article is an opinion piece. This seems like an issue of government scientists having to follow guidelines to avoid misstating facts in general, not just with climate science.

In fairness, his policies would not have just disintegrated.

Don’t know why people are jumping on Desslock, that’s a pretty accurate characterization of how Ontarians felt. Even my progressive family members and co-workers thought all 3 candidates were awful. Ford might actually be the least economically harmful choice.

Yes. The choices facing the voters in Ontario of which I am one was not a good one. Wynn and the Liberal government went on a spending spree on their last budget essentially to buy votes for this election. Horvath and the NDP put out a platform that had a 1.4 billion dollar math error which they initially denied. Ford and the Conservatives promised a fully costed platform and then refused to explain how they were going to pay for it.

I am far more familiar with the issue than anything you can derive from reading the absurd narrative repeated by the media. It’s a completely manufactured false issue - every company you know, and every government in the western world, has similar restrictions on communication with media and discussions of policy.

If anything, this provincial election is consistent with recent trends such as the 2016 US election, the recent German and UK elections, etc. showing that the western electoral systems (although all 3 of those examples are under systems that are different in fundamental ways) are badly broken.

Western democracies/republics may be better than anything else we’ve created, but they have driven out all of our best, capable leaders - we routinely have a selection or candidates are badly unqualified both in experience and abilities, are venal and beholden to interests, need to be absurdly rich (and/or more beholden to “investors”), are unable to be intellectual honest or even coherent and non-hypocritical even if they desired to be, routinely create deliberately false narratives for political gain – I would never follow any of these “leaders” in any pursuit, for any purpose, ever.

We have so many far superior potential candidates and genuinely capable leaders, but they are all in other pursuits such as business, tech, the military, financial services.

Perhaps it is a vicious cycle. The more good capable people avoid running for office, the more degraded our politics becomes, driving out more people.

I probably disagree with Desslock on virtually every political position - but not this. 👍

It appears American conservative idiocy is wafting over the border (no surprise, they have the same puppet masters.)

I doubt this has anything really to do with American conservative idiocy, and more of politics as usual in Ontario. the previous liberal government cancelled a gas plant project that ended up being a 1 billion dollar tab to buy votes.

Oh. :/
Thanks for the correction.