McAfee Wanted In Murder Investigation

Yes, that McAfee.

Antivirus pioneer John McAfee is on the run from murder charges, Belize police say. According to Marco Vidal, head of the national police force’s Gang Suppression Unit, McAfee is a prime suspect in the murder of American expatriate Gregory Faull, who was gunned down Saturday night at his home in San Pedro Town on the island of Ambergris Caye.

I remember reading a story that he was under pressure from local government for failure to “donate” to political campaign fund.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was continuation of the same.

If you read the accompanying article from a week ago, McAfee apparently went off the deep end.

As someone with first-hand third-world business experience, no he did not go off the deep end. Not so much more than wanting to live there in the first place.

So, just to get this straight… You’re saying that his postings to various drug enthusiast sites, his claims of being in cahoots with known gangsters, his attempts to inflitrate the police, his con artistry, and everything else we know about him that are either public knowledge, verified by many witnesses, or even verified by himself are what? Part of some master plan?

He was pretty active in the Silicon Valley and Seattle tech areas. There are numerous accounts of how nutty and dishonest McAfee could be.

I had no idea mcafee was an actual person-I just thought it was a horrible, horrible anti-virus program that tries to install itself on my computer when I try to install other programs.

No, I was speaking about his paranoia, guards, guns, armored cars and gated compounds.

Rest are his hobbies, and were done behind closed doors.

I thought a lot of people like to live there because it’s cheap and a pleasant place to live. I’ve read of retired Americans living in Costa Rica for $1200 a month, for example.

Big long article in NYTimes on the whole McAfee situation.

Captured, according to his own blog.

That Times article reads like a Carl Hiassen novel.

He’s just throwing them off the trail.

It’s always taxes that get them.

I think about this man (and his almost certain murder spree) every time I remove his companies’ malware from an elderly neighbor’s computer.

I was thinking of putting this in the WTF 2020 thread but then decided this was about the most predicable thing ever.

Looks like he committed suicide in a Spanish prison: John McAfee found dead in prison after Spanish court allows extradition | Reuters

Oh wow. I can’t wait to read the book about this guy’s life.

There was a documentary, it seems he got increasingly unhinged over time. Crazy, crazy stuff but also very sad.

He’s like the previous generation’s My Pillow Guy.

I know he left in the 90s and basically had nothing to do with the company since then, but it is a bit weird that McAfee is totally quiet about the death of its founder and namesake. Then again, the dude was known for all sorts of weird shit, and that’s something they probably don’t want to be associated with.