McCain easily beating Clinton and Obama in Rasmussen poll

If Obama’s opponent didn’t have the last name of Clinton this would be all over.

If Obama’s opponent was a woman who’s last name wasn’t Clinton, then he might have had a much tougher fight. ;)

McCain or Baghdad Bob?

“They think that by killing civilians and trying to distort the feelings of the people they will win.”

“I blame Al-Jazeera.”

“These cowards have no morals. They have no shame about lying.”

“Rumsfeld, he needed to be hit on the head.”

Jesus, when I first read that, I skipped down to the quotes and thought they didn’t do a very good job picking them, because it was pretty easy to tell which ones were from Comical Ali (about two-thirds). It was only after that that I looked back up and saw that they were all his. Sigh.

Someone like John Edwards?

If you guys really want to see what polls are good for, go look at the polls conducted a day, a week, a month before major events (Texas primary, Super Tuesday, the last major general election, and so on). They’re shit. They’re almost entirely meaningless.

They can really only tell you if someone is basically out of the race (polling at single-digit numbers, or losing like 80/20 consistently in numerous polls from different organizations).

Half of these polls are conducted poorly, and most of them are basically push-polls, with leading questions.

And all that is true no matter who you support.

If you ever want to know what is going to happen in an American election, take what the most vocal people on QT3 are saying and the opposite will be true.

Unfortunately the democratic candidates are so busy making themselves unelectable that the republicans are going to waltz into office.

Bookmark this post for future reference.

This entire presidential campaign can be summarized in one word:

Yojimbo.

Definitions of Yojimbo on the Web:

A paid bodyguard who is not the sworn retainer of the one hiring him
[COLOR=#008000]www.corrieweb.nl/japan/glossary.htmYojimbo (Japanese: 用心棒, Yōjinbō) is a 1961 jidaigeki (period drama) film by Akira Kurosawa. It tells the story of a ronin (masterless samurai), portrayed by Toshiro Mifune, who arrives in a small town where competing crime lords make their money from gambling. …
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yojimbo (film)Yojimbo is a shareware personal information manager for Mac OS X by Bare Bones Software. It can store notes, images/media, URLs, web pages. Yojimbo can also encrypt any of its contents and store the password in the Keychain.
[COLOR=#008000]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yojimbo (software)

That’s just it, though, I doubt that you will any time soon find a Democratic presidential candidate who doesn’t “make *self unelectable”. Why? I’m not sure, but the standards that Democrats are held to are about ten times higher than for Republicans. And they’re not good standards, they’re utterly absurd.

Yeah, there’s some truth to that. Both Obama and Hillary have recently been taking flak because people they have associated with have said things that people find offensive. Meanwhile, McCain apparently takes no flak from associating himself with the likes of Jerry Falwell, who has said things about 9/11 that make Obama’s pastor’s quotes seem ridiculously tame by comparison.

Personally, I think it’s dumb to hold a candidate accountable for things that other people say, but if you are going to do it, then at least do it for everyone.

I think McCain would be taking a lot more flak were the Democrats and the nation in general not completely distracted at the moment.

Nice little article a friend whose dad used to coach with the author just posted that kind of touches on why I hope, at the very least that Obama gets further along than just winning the Democratic nod.

Gallup confirming the Rasmussen numbers on many Clinton supporters going for McCain over Obama and vice versa:

God bless Hillary Clinton, and here’s hoping she can keep this thing going all the way to the convention and make it even more divisive than it is already.

Hey, look what happened in 2000.

In March of that year, the Pew Center for the People & the Press released a report titled “Bush Pays Price for Primary Victory.” Following Bush’s victory in the 2000 primaries and McCain’s exit from the race, the Pew survey found that 51% of those who backed McCain during the primary campaign would vote for Gore in the general election. Only 44% of his supporters said that they would be casting their votes for Bush. Furthermore, a significant share of Bradley supporters also said that they would be supporting Bush in the general election, including 39% of his independent backers.

That comparison only goes so far. The nomination was sewn up by March, not by summer or August like we’re looking at in this situation. Time heals all wounds, etc.