McCoy Tyner, Jazz Pianist, RIP

Tyner received much acclaim during his time as the pianist in the John Coltrane Quartet. Here’s a performance from 1975, with my all-time fave (and still alive!) Sonny Rollins.

McCoy’s piano solo kicks in around the 3 minute mark, but the entire song is beautiful, and worth the listen.

One of my favorites. I was already thinking about listening to some McCoy Tyner this afternoon, because Nubya Garcia’s version of Contemplation came up on a playlist.

Ah, that’s a great piece by Garcia. Glad you referred to it, so I could listen. :)

It doesn’t get much popular recognition, but there are some amazing contemporary musicians carrying the torch.

My “new London jazz” playlist, a bit misnamed, as I’ve added other UK artists, also includes Theon Cross, Moses Boyd, Ezra Collective, Shabaka Hutchings (with and without Sons of Kemet), Kokoroko, Vels Trio, Tenderlonious, Robert Mitchel 3io, Mathew Halsall, among others.

RIP, sir.

I had the privilege of seeing him in concert years ago (late 90s, early 2000s maybe?) in a small venue in Scottsdale, AZ. It remains one of the most intense musical experiences of my life. The sheer joy pouring out of him as he played his magic was shining out for everyone there to participate in. Wondrous.