McDonald's kiosks and mobile ordering in 2017

This has been known for a while now. It’s why the demand for $15/hr for these kinds of jobs was as nonsensical as saying we’re gonna bring back coal miner jobs.

Not at all. If you’re employing an human, he or she should be paid a living wage. Ultimately replacing these lower-end jobs will result in a higher quality of life for everybody. The tricky bit is what to do to help out all those unskilled unemployed people, and nobody really has an answer to that.

I tend to favor basic income, but that will never happen in the US.

Liberals might be for that, which means the poor on the right will watch their own children starve before they support it also.

Yes, uneducated people are easily led to act against their own best interest. Story at 11.

God, I hope they wipe down the kiosks with some serious germ-killing action a lot. I’ve seen the hygiene habits of some of my coworkers (they seriously walk out of the stall and out the door without even glancing at the sink). People suck. Now go order your food by touching the same thing that they just touched.

I would treat those kiosks the same way as I treat subway poles. Once I touch them I do not touch my face for any reason until I can wash my hands. That would include not eating.

You guys have weak immune systems. I don’t even get vaccines any more, I just lick public touchscreens.

Not sure if “IQ” is the issue; there are significant problems with using a fixed measure of intelligence, not the least of which is how it is measured and, in fact, what is being measured, which is a hugely contested area. The social issue, though–large numbers of people no longer able to make a living with their current skill sets–is real. There’s very little reason though why most of these folks couldn’t be brought up to speed through technical training programs. A vast array of STEM jobs are really pretty basic, and rely not on any sort of super intelligence but on training and procedure.

Are you by any chance a Neanderthal?

Sounds like someone wants to get autism!

Have you ever been struck by a car and been uninjured, while damaging said vehicle?

This is nothing new! In the cool olden days, they had these futurey cool things called automats.

Now that we’re in the future, the future is finally catching up.

-Tom

Not just in the olden days. I was in Amsterdam a few years back and they still had plenty of automats.

I remember watching a really old movie that had an automat. The whole movie was kinda dark and creepy.

Yeah, but did it take place in a city?

-Tom

That guy looks like he could do with a beach vacation.

My grandmother used to take me to the Horn and Hardart Automat on 42nd St in Manhattan. To a kid it was like a food based amusement park. I loved it.

I go to McDonald’s now, and I’m studying the menu screen, and every 3 fucking seconds, the screen changes. This drives me up the wall.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of these dynamic menus either. Just let me figure out what I want to order and GTFO.