Mechanical Keyboards - Filco, Das Keyboard, Model M - get in here!

I ordered a Filco with brown Cherry switches a few months ago, and I’m of mixed feelings about it. It’s undoubtedly a solid, tank-like keyboard. But–

The blue status LEDs have a laser-like intensity that will momentarily blind you if you look straight into them.

The key travel isn’t silent as with a rubber-dome keyboard. There’s a subtle chalky scraping noise as keys move up and down.

The tactile resistance point in the key travel doesn’t precisely match the activation point, instead preceding it by a small but detectable amount. This, combined with the relatively low activation force required, has resulted in an increased amount of accidental inputs from my WASD hand.

Keyboards with clicking keys are only viable if you have your own office. If you share with someone, that person hates you.

Cool story, bro. The RealForce isn’t loud at all, that’s why I have that one at work. The Filco browns are little louder than normal keyboards but nothing like the old IBM model M. Filco blues are practically typewriters.

Zylon, I think that subtle scraping on the Filco is actually one of the reasons I like it so much. Hard to say why, but I love the feel of that thing. Have you tried the RealForce keyboards? Sounds like they might be more your style.

Yeah, I’m too used to a split keyboard. I’d pay serious bucks for the equivalent of a Natural Keyboard 4000 with Northgate/IBM-style keys.

if you like the game,sing it loud,sing it proud,search "platypus priapism"on google

Reported!

As much as the Filco keyboard cost, I’m going to give myself an extended chance to adapt to it.

Okay, it looks like “serious bucks” is $259…

Could this be my dream keyboard? With Blue switches…

It would take me a long time to get used to the enter key being in the middle.

I thought that too, but there’s another Enter key over where it’s supposed to be. So you can go either way.

So you guys. You guys. I am so excited. I just bought this keyboard:

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/40L5A

It’s got SIDE function keys y’all!

Why do I need side function keys? Well…it’s how Star Fleet II was designed, and I wanna play it as designed.

It’ll also be my first keyboard ever with a Windows key! I’ve been rocking this Model M I’m typing this on since like, 2002, so it’s time. :)

It arrives next week and I CANNOT WAIT Y’ALL.

I was about to ask “What Windows key?” until I saw them up top. Also, that cursor layout would drive me batty. Otherwise I’m envious!

It does look wacky but I’m excited to try it!

You won’t be lacking for macros, lol.

Wow. It’s like 1980-something in here suddenly!

Bad news - Looks like it’s 1980-something in here too (but without the awesome hair and shoulder pads)
Good news - I bet those long-throw clicky mechanical switches feel GREAT to use!

Diego

It’s here and it feels SO different you guys, from the vertical enter key to the side function keys. I’ll definitely get used to it though!

Getting a little worried because for the last few days, I’ve missed a few copies leading into pastes of wrong stuff, and monkeying around with it, I seem to have much better “luck” getting the copies to take if I use the right-side Ctrl key instead of the lefthand one when Ctrl-C’ing.

The Filco’s only 8 years old and cost me $150 or so at purchase; I’d be pretty depressed if a key was going out.

Then again, it still seems to work fine for stuff like word-by-word scrolling through text and for the actual pastes themselves, so it may just be Windows being fucky today (there’s other weird shit going on in the OS atm). Fingers very crossed :(

I think I finally found my last keyboard: The Cloud 9 C989. It’s a split mechanical keyboard. You can actually move the two pieces apart, but put together (where they’re held by magnets) it’s basically the same form factor as a Microsoft Ergo 4000, but with wonderful, clicky Cherry MX Blue keys. (They also offer Red and Brown for those who like a quieter tactile experience.)

The volume dial in the center is actually really convenient and doesn’t get in the way. Really, the only gripe I had was that the Fn key is where I’m used to the Windows key being, but they have a firmware version on their site that swaps Fn and Windows.

It’s a bit expensive, but still cheaper than the Kinesis. I never liked Kinesis as an option as I want a numeric keypad, and their keyboard doesn’t actually allow a connected configuration.

Plus, it has RGB backlighting, so you type faster.

My wife broke the keyboard tray on my desk again and this time messed up my keyboard. I grabbed a newer version of what I had previously the Hyper X alloy elite 2. It’s quite a mouthful.

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Alloy-Elite-Software-Controlled-Customization/dp/B088KRFVBK

They upgraded this years with these things called pudding keys. They let RGB light shine through better but are more subdued if that makes sense. They also “feel” unlike other keys. Hard to describe but I think I love them. I went with linear red caps this time which is a bit of a switch as well. Really solid keyboard.