Mechanical switch keyboards: Worth it?

Just accept it, habibi. There is something not quite right with us.

Thanks, Armando. :) Yeah these new keys look and feel so much better than the OEM caps. The heights are fine, so it’s probably the lighting and angle as you said. I didn’t have enough light when taking that picture. :)

Just use and enjoy it. :) You can always buy another one later on just for show. That wouldn’t be crazy at all, no sir.

In fact there is no need to worry about keeping it in good condition, antistarshadow, because the point of a mechanical keyboard is to replace the key caps when they are worn, well, some even replace the stock caps before they are even used. And the caps are cheap, really, just the same price as your keyboards… that’s a steal in this time and day, that’s right… take a look at this Skull Squadron aka Macross themed key set. Don’t tell me you are not attracted to it and wonder how your Code would look like! It’s beautiful… and it cost $42 when the group-buy was running just a few months ago.

This thread convinced me that I want to at least try a mechanical keyboard. I am in germany though and most sources here seem to be US or UK. I was wondering where I should go to get my feet wet?

Oh, I’m using it. And I’ll use it more once I have dedicated space for it. :)

I have a couple of pics to put up, but they’re on my phone which means that they are terrible quality. Also, I need to put them on an imagehost and I’ve been too lazy to do it. I’ll get around to it though.

ImaTarget:

Here’s a list of German online vendors :) http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/germany_shopping_guide

Bought my first skull. This is a milestone for me. I haven’t been dabbling on the secondary market for these caps, so this is a first as well. And secondary market means it’s costly. Sometimes I can’t believe what I just did.

I believe it. :) Just think about what I’ve gotten so far, and you’ll feel better. :)

And Orangesicle is a great color.

The Macross set I mentioned a couple of post back will be available for a limited time next Monday. Look at this!! Don’t tell me it didn’t scream at the child in you!!

(Not my board but I’m tempted to get it myself)

Thank you! I will have a look.

And the Granite keyset group buy posted earlier uses the same DSA profile as the Macross set, except these will be in PBT and with different font and colorway. 4 days left. The costs are much lower now that the lower tiers have been met.

It’s time for some novelty key cap pr0n. I have been hunting awhile for the multi-colored ones and finally found them. :)

Messing around with keycaps for my HHKB:

HHKB white caps on black case is really out of this world! I love that look!

I’m really, really choked that I missed this. I absolutely love the look of that granite set; here’s hoping they bring it back or a similar set sometime in the near future!

The after market is pretty vibrant over in geekhack.org. I am sure you can find this later, if the price is right.

I just received an email that another batch of Code Clear has arrived.

Misguided, I’ve PMed you.

Thanks, Habibi. I went out to eat with my wife and saw the PM as soon as I got home. Had one in the cart, then decided to go for two. I’ve enjoyed my DAS with the blues, so this should be awesome. The second one can replace my ancient IBM Trackpoint, since I haven’t used the pointer in years.

Cool. I hope you enjoy the Code. It’s one fine keyboard. Did you go for full size or the ten keyless?

Full size for both.

Hope you write a short impression about them on them :)

I prefer a tenkeyless myself. It’s more compact and I can keep my mouse hand near me, without having to stretch it.

I just noticed that Monoprice is selling some mechanical keyboards too. ~$60 for a full-size one with Cherry blues.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140102&p_id=9433&seq=1&format=2