Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5: Single player inside!

So far that’s what’s happening to us, chewed up mechs that cost more to fix than we made taking the mission. We’ve parked the coop to see if we can make progress in SP and get a lance together that’s not just lights because that’s clearly not working.

It puzzles me why a game designer doesn’t include difficulty levels in a game like this. Even just two would have been nice. It’s no more complicated than reducing the enemy numbers because it’s pretty apparent even from my limited time with it the devs only way of making the AI function as an adversary is spamming superior numbers at you.

But then maybe that’s just a thing with mech games, because Battletech routinely even in the earliest stages of the campaign threw 3 to 1 odds at you. And that was just the first wave on a mission.

You should have more than enough money to repair, though failing missions outright can be pretty dire early on. I usually put my negotiation points toward salvage rather than payment, but a thing you can also do is put negotiation points into damage coverage which should help with repair costs.

Make sure you are in a conflict zone with mission appropriate to your rep level and mechs. Try to hit planets with several missions so you aren’t wasting a lot of money on travel early on.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll be diving back in to figure it out for sure. It’s fun to stomp around in mechs FPS style.

The initial shock was from jumping into a coop game and getting utterly destroyed because the mission choices we had were both way too difficult for what we were fielding.

Apparently new DLC called Call to Arms came out for this today.

I should try this game out while it’s on game pass. I think it was the Mech4 campaign that completely killed my interest in their universe because it was aggressively uninteresting. It kind of reminded me of what little I’ve seen of the Warhammer 40K universe. Ugh.

If you thought the Mech 4 campaign was meh, this one may not do much for you either. It didn’t for me, and I liked Mech 4.

Does anyone have any information on Epic vs Steam for this game? I was initially turned off by it, but I understand mod support has done a lot for it. I’m also looking co-op and maybe a VR mod for my Reverb G2. Is either client better or worse for this game?

It was Epics first game to use their version of Steams workshop for mods. It works fine for me with about 6 or so mods running. Yes mods make it much better imo. Especially the AI ones.

I played a lot of MWO and I still didn’t find this game super-easy. The difficulty seems more aimed at people with at least some MWO experience than complete beginners.

Is this true today or recently? The (low sample size) version I’m seeing in videos and forums is that it was great, but with the release of each DLC, it breaks the mods. This is true in most games. However, apparently the hassle of fixing them via the Epic workshop is not worth it. Thus more and more mods migrate to the Nexus mod site as mod makers just update their mods there such that very few still are maintained on Epic. I can’t tell if the Steam workshop is the same or similar. Apparently nothing is currently work due to the release of Call to Arms DLC.

But I admit, I’m on the outside looking in. I can only find an opinion here or there with most content/ opinions being a few months or more old, which was before Call to Arms broke everything with the melee overhaul, saying mod X is awesome.

Not sure haven’t played in 6 months or so. They worked then. The new DLC is the first one I’m not interested in. Imo a big part of the difficulty is all the obnoxious vehicles. Mods helped with that while also upping the AI behavior of your lancemates and enemies. I might fire it up later today. I still play MWO every few weeks for a few rounds

No idea, but that’s usually on the games themselves. I did a few mods for Dead Cells on steam, and every update broke them.

The hassle on Epic workshop surely is the same as any other system? you upload a zip, put a description, categories, etc
What happened is, most probably, only owners of the game on EGS can use the mods uploaded on EGS, and modders didn’t want to bother having to upload them in several places, so they chose a ‘neutral’ one that serves both from the Steam and the EGS versions: Nexus mod.

New game?

Also one more DLC coming. Nice. MW5 is my current favourite xbox time waster.

I was wondering if mods had helped this game and it seems they have.

I’ve been wondering about that, thinking about playing. So you’re pretty happy with how it plays on Xbox?

Oh yeah. Running rings around some poor sap in his 85 ton charger piece of shit while little raven’s machineguns go dakkadakkadakka at his feet. Yeah that’s a fun time. Looks good too on the BFS.

Or taking the king crab out for a walk, zoom in, aim the two big cannon at his face and go BOOM headshot bitch.

I’m half sold on this post alone, that sounds like proper MW gameplay. Forgive me for not reading the the thread, is this MP only or is there a campaign? And if so, is it burdened by protection and timed missions, or can I build and alpha and run and jet and whatnot?

I’m almost sold… But dang his archer seems to have unlimited ammo

There are in fact two single player options:

Story campaign - I don’t recall there being timed stuff, outside of the universe sort of advancing as you play (advancing = more tech showing up). Note that you can still do side missions and stuff. There might be multi-part story missions you have to do consecutively, I can’t recall.

Career Mode - ditch the “story mode” and just do missions to taste.

IMO, the game needs mods to shine because it’s a bit too stripped down in vanilla. with mods - you don’t need many - you can add back in more detail to components (engines, gyros, etc) and I think it brings out more in the game. Yet Another Mech Lab is fire, as mods go (there are a lot of additional things you can add if you run YAML, adding mechs and specialized tech and such, but you can skip that stuff too).

I bought this game on PC a while ago, played a few hours, then had to refund it. It seems like as I’ve gotten older, I’ve become more sensitive to motion in first-person games, and boy did this game make me sick! I was really disappointed, because I used to play a lot of Mechwarrior Online a decade ago without any problem.

However, I recently loaded it up on Xbox Game Pass and played a quick mission without too many problems. Anyone have any idea why? I was thinking it may have something to do with the distance between my sofa and tv compared to my pc monitor at my desk, but I have no idea.