Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5: Single player inside!

Yeah there’s nothing quite like coming under RAC fire it’s quite distracting. TBH the RAC/2 is a decent weapon if used correctly; 3xRAC/2 shadowhawks can really wreak havoc.

Sure, you could do a parallel system of morale and morale damage, but that’s atypical to say the least outside of strategy games, and nearly unheard-of in shooters, be they on-foot or in-mech.

It would be super-cool, though. One of my dream game projects is an open world (open sky?) Crimson Skies-alike which leans hard into pilot skill and morale. Bad pilots don’t know their planes’ envelopes well and fly them either to less than the airframe’s full potential or beyond it. Outnumbered pilots or pilots with damaged planes attempt to flee a furball. Any history of air combat in the age of gun primacy is at least as much about that as performance numbers.

The only problem with fleeing enemies, which is realistic, is that chasing them down is not super fun.

Are any of you getting this on release day?

I think that’s a problem that can be solved with design, though. In Battle of Britain 2, making an He-111 turn back or fighting a Bf-109 to a standstill for fifteen minutes is still a win—in the former case, you’ve made your own campaign easier. In the latter case, you might not get credit for the kill, but the 109 is probably out of gas and not going to make it home.

Measurable successes and failures outside of kill tally make the difference.

Gamers are alike Westy in the 'Nam: they got body count fixation.

Plus “mission kill” is not a rough binary state, which is Harder to Program. It’s that old, old syndrome we saw in older sims where you managed to drop your Rockeyes over the target, but one truck managed to escape == total failure, play mission again.

Certainly. I can’t wait!

Assuming the first reviews aren’t terrible I will be hitting the buy button on release day!

Anyone know if there will be VR or TrackIR support? Can’t find an answer one way or the other, which probably means no, but MWO supported TrackIR so I’m hoping for at least that much.

I know I am always that “person” that asks this --but – controller or mouse/kb? Is there a solid opinon? I bet Marq will play this soon I’ll just ask him I guess.

I’m a mouse and keyboard guy but I would think a controller would work pretty well

Neither, HOTAS.

Years back, they said the game was being built with VR in mind. Native VR support was also apparently one of the reasons they went Unreal Engine.

I hope it does.

Wheel or bust.

I think you mean dancepad.

HOTAS and VR for me. Is VR in on day one?

According to reddit, VR will be patched in later.

Dancepad would be the best, indeed. Get a work out, too.

I want to try dual joysticks if I can get my old X52 to behave (probably need to clean the pots). Otherwise HOTAS, or maybe even mouse and stick.

That would be an interesting set up, using the stick to maneuver the machine and the mouse to aim within the view. Just wondering though, would you use the joystick with your non-dominant hand? I think it would feel a little weird, at least at first.