Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5: Single player inside!

Rep 11 now. Still not seeing my AIs take too much damage even though it’s all heavies and assaults now.

I am almost always the most heavily damaged lance member.

That said putting your highest quality weapons in arm mounts on any mech is a risk.

I am around rep 10 (9?) now, playing at about 270 tonnage and I see the AI get wrecked from time to time still but it certainly feels less common now. Maybe they’ve adjusted things in the recent 2 hotfix patches? It’s never been mentioned in the notes but who knows.

What happens is I’d have 2-3 missions with expected level of damage and then all of a sudden, in a simple mission, one AI pilot goes berserk and receives TONS of damage. As an example, the entire team would get lie 50-70K credits damage and one AI would get like 950K. Completely disproportionate.

No idea what is happening, but probably looks like some kind of a glitch in the AI script - either the AI pilot messes up weapon ranges, gets too aggressive and too close to enemies, gets surrounded or maybe other AIs stop seeing him as an ally and it’s a case of friendly fire. No idea but it does happen every 4-5 missions.

BTW, I wish there was a “watch replay” functionality, that would be very cool to just watch some fights.

On the topic of LRM boats. IMO, due to the way the game spawns enemies right next to you, the only type of mission where it makes sense to take LRM boats is Assassination. And LRMs REALLY shine there because the game doesn’t seem to spawn enemies in that type, you get what’s on the map and you can control the approach and the distance. Raid type is a bit like that but you can get fucked up with close spawns. For everything else - Defense, Demolition, Warzone - you better compose your team for med/close distance because the game will spawn shit right on top of you sometimes.

BTW, according to reddit, the devs said they are looking into spawning issues and hope to have a fix released this week.

Still though, even with all the deficiencies, the game is still addicting as hell - I start the game planning to play a couple of missions and end up playing for an hour or 2 too long. :)

I know, right? This game is definitely not a good game in its current state. The missions don’t have interesting objectives, the way enemies spawn is ludicrous, and the AI is not great. Despite all that, I’m happy enough stomping around in a giant robot that I keep playing it.

The mercenary company game mechanic is great too.

Just a theory, but maybe it’s when a dropship lands on one?

Finally got back to this–was occupied with other stuff–and finished the first “real” mission. Just paused when I knew the spawns were incoming, kept my AC/10 alive, and survived with a lot of armor damage but otherwise intact. The second mission was pretty cool, though I have to echo those who find the wave upon wave of non-'Mech enemies sort of annoying. Fighting other 'Mechs is where it’s at.

First patch is here, here are the notes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechwarrior5/comments/ebnma6/mw5_mercs_patch_1_december_17_at_12pm_pdt/

A christmas pressy for @schurem :

A christmas pressy for everyone:

We shall see what “improved” means!

I am searching around for 100 tonners now that i have some 400 ton drop weight missions. Got a King Crab, which has some potential, but have to work out a good weapon mix. I sorely want to give it dual gauss + erppc but I have this problem that I can’t find gauss ammo anywhere…

What’s that? The game doesn’t automatically recognize controllers that are plugged in?

At first it crashed when I left my HOTAS on.

Oh wow, I see what you mean. Looks like setting up my HOTAS will be a major PITA.

Silly spawns : Fixed.

What HOTAS do you have? A bunch have official bindings and are a breeze to use. For instance, my Thrustmaster 16000m joystick.

Tip for others: If you find joystick aiming hard, look in the rebinding file and check the deadzone. My and my friend’s settings defaulted to a huge deadzone on the y-axis, dropping it down to -0.05 to 0.05 made aiming much much better.

As soon as I feel the energy to put on my PC masterrace pants again, imma get my HOTAS sorted (warthog + pedals). I bet MECH’ing it up with full metal controllers is at least as good as doing barrel rolls with 'em.

So what do you guys think of todays’ patch? We getting there? Game still ‘a bit shit’?

I can confirm that spawns are much more rational now. All the missions since the patch I haven’t seen anything spawn within my line of sight.

Makes it much easier to reach the extraction zone after some missions!

New bug though: my minimap is often broken; units show up but not terrain it’s just a blank white background.

Deep in the endgame now. Looking for one more 100 tonner to round out my endgame lance.

Edit: in game date January 3026

Ok, I may have to restart, or something. Are the starting setups and early starmap stuff randomized, or always the same? Because after winning I think three fights, the only contracts I can see available all require more tonnage than I actually have. I tried one, underweight, and got slaughtered. I have the Centurion, a Javelin, a Jenner, and a Locust. Totals 135 tons, and all the missions are minimum 145.

Isnt that maximum 145? I dont remember a minimum tonnage.

My setup is a mix-and-match from different vendors. The stick is a VKB Gunfighter with the space combat grip. The throttle is an early Saitek X52 throttle, because I haven’t found anything I like better yet. Extremely unlikely that I can find preconfigured settings for my kit, and even then I’ll probably want to play with the settings. Every other game recognizes the devices with no problem though, even indie games, so it’s baffling that MW5 has such a convoluted process.

That’s my lance too. You need to take it slow. Make them come to you in favourable terrain. I’m almost rich enough to buy a new mech. I want cicadas for the wing people and a hunchback for me.

So, I can only take defend missions? Because I doubt the assassination targets are going to walk up to me, are they?