Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5: Single player inside!

I need to check it out again. Got it at launch and was underwhelmed but it might be worth a shot now.

I tried this recently when it came to gamepass, but as a huge Marie fan who played MW4 for the better part of a decade, and also played a ton of MWO, I found this game to be unplayable.

I tried to play on a series x and it made me motion sick in about 90 seconds.

Unplayable as in technically, or just unpalatable? I found it as I said totally underwhelming, little of the compelling feel of MW4. But it “worked” ok.

Just unpalatable. It wasn’t fun or interesting, with a bunch of useless garbo like running around inside the ship/base or whatever.

From a technical perspective, it ran fine, but didn’t really look good. The intro stuff looked like a cut scene from the 1990’s.

Did I read that right in that there’s VR support now?

You did not. It’s just that they walked back on some changes to VR mods they had made in a previous patch.

Still no VR on the horizon for this one, unfortunately. Unless it comes in the from of a mod, that is.

New DLC coming out Thursday. Legend of the Kestrel Lancers.

Supposed to have a linear campaign to play through, along with adding some new biomes (including megacity), new ‘battle’ scenarios and new questlines.

The free update that comes with it is supposed to add melee combat and mech switching.

Releasing on playstation as well.

https://mw5mercs.com/news/2021/09/62-legend-of-the-kestrel-lancers

I believe that as with the prior DLC only the host has to own it if playing coop.

Interested to see if they can produce a linear campaign worth playing. The campaign that came with the game really was quite underwhelming, like someone knocked out the plot in an afternoon and then they half heartedly built some custom missions for it (ok there were one or two interesting missions near the end)

There is a VR mod, if anyone wants to try

Going to replay this with all the DLC and VR at some point. I really want them to make a Solaris DLC like in MW4: Mercs. That would be so cool and they don’t even need to program complex mission scripts or new mechs so GIMME.

Extra points if they get the same commentator from back in the day.

Agreed. The vanilla campaign was pretty lacking. I’ve spent almost all of my time doing the career mode, especially modded.

The first DLC added some quests in that rewarded some hero mechs. Some of the scenarios and maps in those were pretty solid.

I think the biggest problem that Piranha has at the moment is that modders have made massive improvements, including adding new mechs, not just variants, along with entire mechanics like opening up the mechbay to full modifications, that they are behind the curve.

Also the ever present question of when/if they are going to add in the clans, or if they are thinking a separate game for that.

For me personally this is still one of the few games that I come back to again and again. With the mods changing and adding a ton of features (merctech being the biggest that I know of currently) like charging/DFA damage, switching between ammo types (that MWO still does not have), new mission types, etc, it continues to grab my attention for hours here and there.

Installed it a third time and this time it clicked but it is very much a diamond in the rough. Finally got a handle on disabling mechs - I do like the limpy animation once they’re down a leg and the main draw is collecting new mechs and trying new loadouts, but talking about “behind the curve” - wow very little has changed in the decades past. It’s like they updated the graphics but they haven’t even caught up to last decade of FPS evolution (let alone anything close to 1000 years of hypothetical progress…) - I would have expected bullet/missile trajectory estimation, scopes/laser sights, vision modes, “backup camera” movement prediction, sensors that remember “last seen positions”… There’s even a little hint of “drone camera” but it’s just the third person view - but it linked it all back to the Ghost Recon games that I’d also just been playing which are also super lazy minimally evolving FPS… but those look like lightyears of advancement in mechanics ahead of MW5.

Hello friends. I’m eyeing this one, and as far as I can recall I’ve never played a Mechwarrior game before. This thread’s a bit too long to read entirely so I’ve skimmed it. Can anyone kindly tell me whether the issues I saw mentioned a while back - like infinitely respawning enemies for example - are fixed now? What’s the general state of the game, has it been polished up since 1.0?

Also please mention whether mods are a must; I really don’t like to mod games if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance!

I have it but haven’t played as I wanted to go the VR route with mods. I’d heard things were improving but I don’t know to what extent. Sorry I can’t be of more help, but I am really looking forward to digging in sometime soon when I’m well enough.

I bounced off of it when it first came out, despite (or because?) playing every other MechWarrior game since Crescent Hawks Inception and MW 1. Picked it up again a few months ago to give it a whirl with the latest DLC…and bounced again.

The game is not bad, by any means. It looks good, runs well enough, and I didn’t experience any of the early bugs in the latest version. But the handling of the 'Mechs for me just feels off, too fast-paced, not stompy enough. The combat can be ok, but doesn’t have the gravitas of the older MW games. Too many little enemies, coming too fast, is one issue. Another is the lack of any sense of fighting another unit or organized group of MechWarriors; it all feels like, well, a game where they dump bad guys in front of you every so often.

Again, a lot of this is just my own personal vibe from the game. I do think it’s in a decent shape and worth checking out with an unbiased eye if you like the subject matter.

I wonder if it has mods to add Stompy McRobboty feel to it. Mechwarrior 2 and 4 were my fave.

Once you get to heavier mechs the robots become proper stompy imo.

Possibly. I don’t recall how far I got in my first play through. But in the second, with the mercenaries DLC, I could never keep my finances intact long enough to get through two missions, much less get to heavy 'mechs.

I happen to enjoy the game up until a certain point in the game. On many missions types you have to fight 50 tanks, a dozen lighter mechs, and a dozen heavier and that can be a chore. On the higher mission difficulty levels like say 12-15 I don’t find the game worth playing. There are just so many enemies that your mechs get junked after each mission. I also go out of my way to drive the fast assault mechs like the hero Atlas and Banshee because the Annihilator is painful on maps where you have to walk 5k.