Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5: Single player inside!

Yep go for the Mods! Plus not sure how it plays on gamepads? Big screen could be fun but than it looks pretty great in Ultrawide.

Thanks! I think I’ll get it while it’s on the cheap.

I just have to post my baby! I’m so proud!

Machine guns, medium lasers, short range missiles, even an AMS for a bit of missile defense. Could probably tweak her a bit…hmmm…

Some mods will require certain DLC’s. I think mostly just the first 2 which are on sale right now!

wait, i thought rasalhague was free. It’s just regular DLC? Wasn’t there a free update though?

So I just did a couple of career mode missions and my goodness they were more fun than the campaign bits I did.

Also imagine my surprise when I heard a very familiar voice over comms in the game:

I’m to play as wingman to anyone not running mods (since I’m on Xbox)

My God…it’s full of mods!

I might have gone overboard but there seems to be so many good mods. Hope this actually runs and I don’t have to go remove a few. Time to saddle up.

There are so many that I forced myself to only start with two: Yet Another Mech Lab and Coyote’s Mission mod. So far so great.

I’m terrible at infiltration missions though.

All the YAMLs are pretty good. The others are more about points that you want to emphasize. The coop ones are great, there’s some shader/illumination ones that are good. I was using an advanced zoom one for a while. oh oh oh -remove jump ship animation! Oh, also TRRulez_AIMod2.

sad that even with almost full crossplay mods get in the way

I think a lot of the mods require the DLCs. Been playing this for a few months and loving it. It’s becoming my go to game.

Day two of thralldom.

I am starting to gain some skills, and more importantly, some money.

I just hit reputation 7 and am able to steamroll most of the missions handed to me. Who knew how freaking awesome rifles were in this game. ACs have always been my goto, but rifles seem to be a sniper’s dream. I’m not sure how I feel about LRMs yet and have been using SRM6s in their place. I’ll need to do more experimenting, so just picked up an Archer with 2 LRM15s and 2 Large Chemical Lasers. See how that one rolls.

Overall extremely happy with my 50% off purchase. My son is excited as well and will be picking it up in the next few days so that we can play coop. He’s 13.

Now to figure out how to keep the wife happy…

Wine and chocolates work for me. Just leave both open on the table and quietly back out of the room. Should buy you a couple of hours of uninterrupted game time.

I’d say the majority don’t - but there’s a few that do (ie, like the coyote mission packs). I played through about rep 8 before i loaded mods, then finished the game on mods before picking up my first DLC, then i went through most of that :)

If anyone does do it that way, note that the DLC will likely kick off before the time that you’re currently in, and that generally the only way to play it is to start a new career(you’ll get to keep your mechs, parts, pilots and money) and then your rep and the galaxy will be reset in the DLC you choose. This can actually have some fun side-effects - like i think in mine I time travelled back to before a bunch of parts on my mechs were available - i had some spares though, but I was managing them carefully as attrition was a real thing. Also, i’ll say some of the DLC is really tough (particularly kestral iirc), and you’ll want some pretty tricked out mechs (and some spares)…i really recommend finishing off the base game before you do the kestral missions.

Damn, this plays fast. A bit too fast for me to even try the smaller Mechs. It’s not FPS fast, but it’s not earlier Mech games slow either. The fact I objectively suck isn’t helping.

On PC I do like that I can swap between controller and M/KB at will. Once I learn the keys better that’s probably the better scheme for me, especially with the speed issues mentioned above.

I did the tutorial to reacquaint myself with the game. Then I tried a new Career and the first mission I got toasted bad. What kinds and levels of jobs should I be taking early on? Other than getting gud which I need to to as well.

I believe the mechs move at their canonical speeds, so yes light mech combat is quite zippy and you’ll be doing a lot of that at the start. I think the game has an auto aim function you can turn on if your twitch skills are rusty.

Fighting light mechs and the lighter faster mediums, taking out the legs is a very good strategy. The exception is the urbanmech, if you see one of those peel its arms off and the pilot will eject, which is nice for salvage.

tanks are mostly popcorn early on and you can even save by just stepping on them. Beware SRM carriers though. best to destroy those at range, fortunately they have paper thin armour.

Keep moving yourself. Movement is life!

Some of my favorite moments in this are the zipping around in first person cockpit in a locust at max speed through a city while dodging shots and taking out an objective. good times.

Use the zoom feature to help with aim and locking on missiles, the first couple of missions were tricky until I figured out how to kite and missile from distance.