Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5: Single player inside!

Eh, clans. But more Battletech is always good, I suppose.

Yeah I am in favor of more Battletech.

Clans can be interesting, but, Smoke Jaguars? The clan that infamously nuked civilians? Along with other atrocities my old brain is undoubtedly forgetting at the moment.

Not a clan I would want to role play.

But it is early yet so maybe they’ll address that.

I hope it truly is more than an expansion pack with a full price tag.

I loved MW5 to pieces, so will be happy for anything new, DLC, expansion or full game.

I hate space fascists of any flavor

#FreebirthScum

Latest DLC is out. Anyone tried it?

This just dropped on nexus. Why oh why did I sell my joystick thinking I wouldn’t be playing mechwarrior anytime in the near future.

Woof! I’m a big fan of Vox Machinae for VR mech warrioring, but I’ve been tempted by Steam sales on MW5 and held off due to the previous VR mod sounding so buggy. I haven’t looked into the Universal VR injector yet… seems pretty holy grail-ish… reading through those instructions, I’m kinda hoping they can wrap these up in a single executable, like they did for the Xwing Alliance Project. Looks like they’re still chugging on the cockpits, too.

I wonder if you’ll need the joysticks, @Tim_N ? The Vr injector should allow them to tie motion controls, or else the head look for aiming works really well in VR, and the rest on a game pad would be fine.

UEVR worked just about perfect with the Gamepass version right out of the box. The only odd thing was I felt like a big head on tiny body when I looked down at my legs, but that should be just a simple view adjustment. Process is simple. Launch UEVR, launch MW5, select the game from the dropdown in UEVR and click inject.

I never did put any time into this game but I’m interested now. I’m also a big fan of Vox Machinae, saw this thread and figured I’d test it right quick.

Guess who’s back…

…yep, Duncan Fisher, the voice of Solaris, with the original voice actor. Also, more mechs, more guns, more toys, and a new campaign centered around Solaris VII. Bonus: There’s now a fast variety of everyone’s favorite trashcan, the Urbanmech.

AWESOME! Wish my VR setup still worked. HP - you suck :(

Loved, loved, LOVED Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5, but gotta say the gameshow announcing and arena entertainment venue in that trailer is really offputting for me.

I can just imagine the same cheesy lines repeated over dozens of hours of gameplay. Ugh.

MW5 is a game I really wanted to like, but I’ve never gotten very far. I’ve hit a point relatively early on in every attempt, whether campaign or career or whatever, where I have no money, all my 'Mechs are trashed, and I just am dead in the water.

Also, the gameplay relies too much (for me) on overly fast encounters with too many enemies and not enough of the sort of tactical leisure of MW4. But the game is really cool for sure.

Man this hits me in the nostalgia bone. Solaris was my favourite part of Mech 4: mercs. Spectre was unstoppable!

Oh man, this looks great.

This. MW5 is so shooty and has such ridiculous TTK times. I gave it up on the mission that introduced real-time repair bays. That’s not Battletech to me.

This was me when I tried MW5. I never felt like I was controlling a giant robot, but that I was controlling something more like man sized power-armor. Just too fast and frantic for what I think MW should be.

I think you guys must have quit early when tanks and helicopters are a major threat. MW5 does slow tactics beautifully with the heavier mechs, which you get later, but more importantly, fast tactics with the smaller mechs. That is the whole point of those smaller variants and I don’t remember the earlier games having much use for them at all.

Later in the game, it’s a riot running circles around giant Atlas’s in a Flea or Firestarter specc’d out with jump jets and jamming equipment. On the flipside, nothing more satisfying than swatting those fuckers down with a giant blast from your slow ass bohemeth monster.

Now that I think of that to @scharmers having both fast and slow mechs be relevant is way more Battletech than earlier Mechwarror titles, instant repair bays aside. In any case, I remember those bays showing up in a total of two missions out of hundreds. Definitely the rare exception.

I wonder how much of the people wanting a slower, more deliberate pace are old tabletop players, scratching out armor hit points on paper, laser by laser, missile by missile. I also would enjoy a more deliberate pace, rationing out your fire to pick hit locations, rather than spamming fire to get instant knockouts (always hated alpha strike in the games, felt overpowered even with heat effects).

If you guys have VR, do check out Vox Machinae… the mechs are overall quite slow, even the lighter ones, with jump jets being the main way of escaping firing arcs. I actually think I’d prefer slightly higher walking speed at times, but the inability to unload all your weapons for a quick kill is the main draw, forcing a slower deliberate defanging of your opponent, or getting behind them and desperately hoping you can core their torso before they can turn onto you. But yeah, feels more Battletech than the mechwarrior games I’ve played (1-4).

I’ve been thinking of picking MW5:M up since the UEVR finally seems to allow a good VR experience.

Never played the tabletop game myself. I just recall the first MWM’s pace as being more deliberate (at lot of this due to technology probably). And MWM2 or 3 as well. I don’t recall if it was 2 or 3, but I was in a clan for a while and played sorta regularly for a year or so. Now that was 20 years ago, so my memory of the speed of the game may be totally faulty but even so MW5 just feels far too fast at least during the brief time I played. Maybe I’ll give it another shot though. It should be good for giant space pew pew, stomp stomp pron at the very least.