Médecine Politique: A Qt3 Empires in Arms PBF Game

Médecine Politique:

A Qt3 Empires in Arms Play By Forum Game

Medecine%20Politique

La saignée fait partie des ingrédients de la médecine politique.

“Bloodletting is among the ingredients of political medicine.”

Napoleon Bonaparte

The End of the Year of our Lord, 1804.

“Statesmen have long memories, however, and they make decisions in the context of not only their own experiences but what they understand of the history of the international system decades before their rise to power. Napoleon was no exception to this principle. He had imbibed not only the Enlightenment principles championed by the French revolutionaries but also the visceral hatred the French held for the British. But Napoleon was also an upstart. He rose to national prominence in France in 1796, and three years later he took power with no formal training or practice in the tasks of governing and functioning as a state leader. His continental adversaries, however, had at least a decade of such training and experience behind them. Neither did they adhere to the French revolutionary conviction that a new era had dawned with the proclamation of the republic, a conviction epitomized by the adoption of a new revolutionary calendar. In France, and for many students and readers of Napoleonic history, the past was dead. For the crowned heads of Europe, their statesmen, and their generals, however, it was alive. This was only one difficulty the new French monarch faced in trying to communicate with his enemies. Thus it would be easy to see the Napoleonic Wars as resulting from failures to communicate; certainly the gap between Napoleon’s worldview and his opponents’ played a prominent role in causing and protracting hostilities. But perfect communication would not have led to perfect peace. As Napoleon solidified his power in France and his enemies sought to recover from the damage of the eighteenth century in various ways, all of these efforts interacted to bring about a series of devastating conflicts.”

Kagan, Frederick. The End of the Old Order: v. 1 (Napoleon And Europe)

"Any plan conceived in moderation must fail when the circumstances are set in extremes."

Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar, Prince von Metternich-Winneburg zu Beilstein

"C’est pire qu’un crime, c’est une faute"

"It was worse than a crime; it was a blunder."

Talleyrand or Fouché, regarding the Affaire d’Enghien

“When Napoleon lay at Boulogne for a year with his flat-bottom boats and his Grande Army, he was told, ‘There are bitter weeds in England.’”

­­– Winston Churchill

Our Links to salient events below:

Pre-Game States of War

January 1805 Begins

The Battle of el Arīsh

The Battle of Fehrbellin

February 1805 Begins

March 1805 Begins

Our Heads of Government:

Great Britain (William Pitt the Younger) is…@Kolbex

France (Napoleon I, Emperor of the French) is…@Juan_Raigada

Russia (Alexander I, Tsar and Autocrat of All the Russias, Moscow, Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod &etc.) is…@MiquelRamirez

Austria (Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor, Hereditary Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary and Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, Galicia, Lodomeria and Illyria; King of Jerusalem, etc.; Archduke of Austria; Grand Duke of Tuscany; Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola and Bukovina; Grand Prince of Transylvania, Margrave of Moravia; Duke of Upper and Lower Silesia, of Modena, Piacenza and Guastalla, of Auschwitz and Zator, of Teschen, Friaul, Ragusa and Zara; Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca; Prince of Trent and Brixen; Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia and in Istria; Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg etc.; Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro and on the Windic March; Grand Voivode of the Voivodeship of Serbia) is…@Matt_W

Prussia (Friedrich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia: Margrave of Brandenburg: Burgrave of Nuremberg: Count of Hohenzollern: Sovereign and Supreme Duke of Silesia, as well as the County of Glatz: Duke of Engers, of Pomerania, of Magdeburg, Geldern, Cleves, Jülich and Berg, as well as of the Wends and Kashubians, of Crossen, Mecklenburg: Prince of Orange: Prince of Rügen, of Paderborn, of Halberstadt, Münster, Kammin: Count of the Mark and of Ravensberg, of Hohenstein, Sigmaringen and Veringen) is…@Cuthbert

Spain (Manuel Godoy y Álvarez de Faria, Prince of Peace, 1st Duke of Alcudia, 1st Duke of Sueca, 1st Baron of Mascalbó) is…@Mark_Weston

Turkey (Kör Yusuf Ziyaüddin Pasha – Yusuf Ziyaüddin Pasha the Blind ) is…@Panzeh

K%C3%B6r%20Yusuf%20Ziya%C3%BCddin%20Pasha

Our Victory Point Bids:

Final%20Numbers

Our Rules and Aids:

Rules:

Charts:

Moderated Pre-Ruling List:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uocxq0nhh0kpsm/A%20Moderated%20Pre-Ruling%20list%20for%20Médecine%20Politique.docx?dl=0

An Evocative Review of the Game:

Administrative and Economic Forms for the Countries:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxpwspt8l9f7r8r/Administrative%20Forms.7z?dl=0

Military Information Forms for the Countries:

Our Gorgeous New Map from our Spécial Cartographe (Juan_Raigada):

https://imgur.com/wBBugju

Our Vassal Module and Extension:

Module:

Extension:

Our Vassal Chief of Staff Extraordinaire:

@cannedwombat

Our Pre-Game Discussion Thread:

Our Reading List (so far):

Fiction:

https://www.amazon.com/War-Peace-Unabridged-Leo-Tolstoy-ebook/dp/B075CR5WXS/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546104828&sr=1-2&keywords="War+and+Peace"&refinements=p_lbr_one_browse-bin%3ALeo+Tolstoy

https://www.amazon.com/Bernard-Cornwell-Collection-Slipcase-Specially/dp/9123503580/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546104885&sr=1-4&keywords=The+Sharpe+Series

https://www.amazon.com/Hornblower-1-11-Volumes-Complete-Collection/dp/B002WPDJFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546104915&sr=1-1&keywords=hornblower+series

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Aubrey-Maturin-Novels-volumes/dp/039306011X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546104982&sr=1-1&keywords=Aubrey-Maturin

Non-Fiction:

https://www.amazon.com/Campaigns-Napoleon-Historys-Greatest-Soldier-ebook/dp/B002YPOS4S/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546105172&sr=1-1&keywords=david+chandler+napoleon

https://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-Life-Andrew-Roberts-ebook/dp/B00INIXLPW/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546105197&sr=1-2&keywords=napoleon+roberts

https://www.amazon.com/End-Old-Order-Napoleon-1801-1805-ebook/dp/B009SAV04I/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546105219&sr=1-1&keywords=napoleon+kagan

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-British-Power-Revolution-Napoleon-ebook/dp/B01GFA6BIS/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546105319&sr=1-9&keywords=napoleon+international

https://www.amazon.com/Maxims-War-Napoleon-Bonaparte-ebook/dp/B0115C9RB4/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546105244&sr=1-2&keywords=napoleon's+maxims

https://www.amazon.com/Military-History-Atlas-Napoleonic-Wars/dp/1853673463/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546105366&sr=1-6&keywords=napoleon+atlas

Our Official Lurkers:

scottagibson

Spaced_Cowboy

strategy

Perky_Goth

tomchick

Let us glimpse at the end (?)…and then we shall begin…

Pre-Game Diplomatic Phase and States of War

Premiere-legion-dhonneur

Gentlemen,

Diplomacy should have reached a point where Pre-Existing States of War can be submitted by 10 January 2019. Please have them submitted by that date.

Gratias Tibi,

Et Historicus, Moderator est DIsceptator,

Hm why is nobody else awake and willing to conduct midnight diplomacy with me, extremely vexing.

France is in he middle of festivities and won’t be able to engage in preliminary diplomacy until January 7th. I have not answered preliminary private openings due to unavailability, not purposeful indifference,

We ask for a delay in the deadline of January 10th.

I support this request. The 10th feels a bit close to me too.

Ok, we’ll move it.

Pius%20VII%20Small

What I am looking at is:

January 15 - Pre-Existing States of War Due.
January 22 - Begin Setups.
January 27 - End Setups.
February 1 - Begin January 1805 Political Phase.

This gives everyone two weeks of diplomacy before States of War submission a solid month of diplomacy before the Political Phase begins. With Setups occurring as we go.

Our vassal module should be completed in less than a week.

A solid month should be plenty of time for everyone to get over the holidays before actual play begins.

That schedule works for me. Austria concurs.

The schedule works for me too, I will be away most of next week.

The Sublime Porte would be well-served with this schedule.

Fine with me, I’m jealous that I’m not going on the fabulous vacations you all clearly are

A vacation into the rules, more like.

*Britannia waves the rules*

Hah, i’m headed to Florida for a few days next week but I should be able to stay in contact.

Greetings and Salutations to all Lurkers, Observers and Passers By

I am L’ambassadeur de l’exposition (The Ambassador of Exposition) and I humbly welcome you to this Contest of Nations, also called Médecine Politique: A Qt3 Empires in Arms Play By Forum Game.

I may appear from time to time, to relate to you, the observers and ultimate judges of these events (which, collected may be called a “History” ) the import, conduct and significance of what is occurring in this crucible of nations and ideas, regarding political, economic and diplomatic activities.

I have a colleague, Le général de l’exposition (The General of Exposition, aka General Exposition) who may also appear at times to expound similarly on issues of a military nature.

In any case, you may have seen above where the moderator has requested that the Heads of Government must submit “Pre-Existing States of War” to him by January 15, 2019. As this contest begins at the conclusion of a most tumultuous year for Europe and it’s nations, Anno Domini 1804, all nations may, if they desire, opt to begin our saga as Anno Domini 1805 begins At War with any of the other Players on the Stage that is Europe. This will ultimately save that nation precious Political Point and Stability Position loss which would be incurred by a declaration of war after the events officially begin in an upcoming monthly Political Phase. This occurs before military dispositions are made (which my aforementioned colleague will expound upon later, with his narrow military mind working at a high pitch, no doubt). These will be submitted to the Moderator in secret and blind to each others’ choices and revealed simultaneously. I am sure we are all in for a few surprises and dramatic twists and turns!

This also, however, has the sometimes uncomfortable side-effect of causing one’s nation to be at War with another (or many others). A note; Great Britain and France begin our tale At War. Neither may make peace with the other, barring an Unconditional Surrender after the game begins, an heinous prospect; difficult for both Nations to achieve as events unfurl.

I bid all of you lurkers, announced (@scottagibson, @Spaced_Cowboy, @strategy, @rho21, @Perky_Goth, @tomchick) and unannounced a fond adieu, and invite, nay encourage you to ask any questions regarding the import, conduct and significance of these events and records, as either I or my colleague will be most happy to oblige.

Post script: The First Post (the title post) in these records is dynamic and may be expounded upon to relate future materials or overarching information regarding our tale. I highly encourage you to peruse it, and the visit again after a time to see what other bon mots may be placed there.

Just to be helpful, here (near as I can tell) is the political situation of minor nations in central Europe at the start of the game. I’ve placed free or conquered flags for countries on minor nations they control. You can especially see French encroachment to the Rhine and across northern Italy.

Minor free states at game start (which all start with forces):

• Cisalpine Republic = Lombardy + Romagna (French)
  • Holland (French)
  • Saxony (Prussian)
  • Syria (Turkish)

Multi district minors in existence at game start (primary district listed first):

• Denmark (Denmark+Norway)
  • Sweden (Sweden+Finland)
  • Libya (Tripolitania+Cyrenaica)
  • Cisalpine Republic (Lombardy+Romagna)
  • Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (Naples+Sicily)

Please let me know if I’ve missed anything or made a mistake.

L’ambassadeur de l’exposition approves, head-noddingly.

L'ambassadeur%20de%20l'exposition%20small

To the Heads of State and Government of the Concert of Europe

I am Der Berater (The Advisor) .

Ever wonder what a Declaration of War on Baden could do for you? Ever gotten confused regarding the pros and cons of a proposed Baltic Naval Compact with another Major Power? Do you ever just generally feel at a loss strategically, diplomatically or militarily?

Fear Not!

You may always send a private letter to me and I am happy to give you general advice. I will not confirm or guarantee the results of any advice, nor will I guide you down specific courses of action, but I am always here to help make sense of your potentialities and options. All services confidential.

Der Berater is a Metternich Services Affiliate

That berater is German for advisor or consultant explains so much.

Berater%20Small

Common side effects of Der Berater are Nausea, Indigestion, and Ennui. Use Der Berater only with a Sovereign’s prescription. Cease using Der Berater immediately and call your Sovereign if you experience Dizziness, Euphoria or Feelings of Megalomania.

Klemens! I had assumed you’d continue to act as my Botschafter to the Hohenzollerns in Prussia and your informal correspondence with the young Tsar. Now I find you’ll advise all of the powers? Wie kann man sich bloß so schrecklich benehmen!

Es ist sinnlos, die Tore gegen Ideen zu schließen; sie überlappen sie.