Medical experts? Question on fasting before blood test

Where did all that come from?

There’s a difference between “I can’t control myself so I must compulsively drink” and “if it’s an option, I’d certainly enjoy a drink.”

Yeah what Nick said. Someone’s got a serious lack of perspective here.

There is a third option, which is “the doctor told me not to drink, is it ok if I still drink?”

Theoretical person could do anything they wanted, and is harming no one but their own blood test, and who cares. My point was theoretical, I didn’t want jeff lackey to print out my “Maybe she needs to control herself” post and bring it to her and make her break down in tears. If someone I knew asked me this same question I’d give them the same irreverent answer. “Do you really want to chance compromising your test? That seems weird.” But its irrelevant to me what this person does in the long run.

But dogpile some more, I can take it. Do you guys lobby for the alchohol industry?

Yes, and?

It’s not like the scenario was an alcoholic with serious liver problems looking for help rationalizing away a doctors earnest advice to quit drinking immediately. It was a routine blood test, and I’m sure the “don’t drink, don’t eat, blah blah blah” spiel was routine boilerplate instruction delivered in a routine fashion by some drone LPN. So it’s hardly the sign of a society slipping into collapse to ask for a clarification (from someone she thought might be professionally qualified to comment).

I still dont see why the fourth option of getting it rescheduled wasn’t there. If it wasn’t because the test was that important then it makes the person seem even more retarded.

Oh yeah and I agree with ElGuapo.

I’m leaning in El Guapo’s direction on this as well. Nobody is suggesting the person in question has an alchohol problem but if you are taking a blood test and are given some instructions you should be able to either a) adjust your life to follow those instructions or b) arrange to take the test at a time when you can follow those instructions. Instead we have someone who seems to either not be taking the test very seriously or who is looking for someone to back them up on ignoring the instructions. If it is a simple matter of the person not understanding why those instructions are there, why didn’t she simply call the doctor or nurse for clarification?

It is interesting how what I thought would be a pretty simple question turned into a fairly judgmental thread. Her blood test was pretty routine, she thought about rescheduling but figured she’d go ahead and get it done, and the gal at the desk told her “12 hour fast and water.” She simply asked me how important the 12 hours was, and she assumed it wasn’t some perfectly measured out time but was 12 hours to provide some level of buffer in case someone forgot and drank a coke or milk or a glass of wine. She was hosting a superbowl party, and just wondered if she needed to be super careful about when she finished her last drink. She drinks about 1 per hour at parties, she’s hardly a lush.

Anyway, I did tell her to simply call her doctor and ask, he told her for the test she was having 9 - 10 hours was plenty safe.

Little fucken harsh for blessing us with your advice and all.

Amen, some of these replies are pathetic and harsh. Someone’s opening up a thread to ask for advice anyone else who chimes in with criticism in their own pathetic judgments should really just stick to like Facebook or something. I agree with you 100%

Um, you do realize this is a 10 year old thread, right?

I wonder if the lady in question realized she can just reschedule her appointment for another, more convenient day?

Yea this is quite confusing.

Maybe it’s because we now have likes?

Now I miss Bill D, :(

Usually when I have to fast for blood tests, I have a bag of mcdonalds hamburgers, a bottle of bourbon, and a pack of reds waiting for me in the car. I don’t know how I ever could survive those 12 hours, but I like to give myself a little treat for being good.

@JonRowe You’re kidding I think? I have lost my filter so I think you are cause anybofbthise for me after 12 or 24 fast would make me puke my guts out. Reds, is that movie theatre candy?

Marlburo reds. Taking a trek to flavor country.

When you try to bump an old thread, Discourse will warn you and try to talk you out of it.