Metal Gear Revengeance: Parry or Die

It’s not really about pulling off complicated combos. As the thread title implies, parrying is the most important part of the game (using your slomo well is probably a close second). Parrying takes a while to get used to because the controls are initially very unintuitive and it requires fairly precise timing. I don’t know if it requires ultra fast timing, probably nothing more then DmC, but being able to get past the lower difficulty levels requires mastering when to parry on each of the enemy types and bosses and that requires lots of practice.

I think it’s easier to get a feeling of mastery in Revengeance then DmC. The game is very short (just 4ish hours for your first playthrough) so you’ll want to replay it, and when you do the skills you learned from the first playthrough will make you feel like a god on your second playthrough. My second time through took me just over 2 hours and felt amazing the entire time.

Also if you do pick it up, some in this thread have suggested skipping the cutscenes but I’d argue the opposite: watch all of them. But understand that Revengeance is a self-aware comedy that’s ridiculing american culture and Metal Gear silliness. I think if you go in with the right mindset, the story is really enjoyable and hilarious (the last boss in particular… I don’t know how you could get through that without laughing).

I periodically go rewatch that final boss cutscene sequence on a semi-regular basis. Love every second of it even though it’s completely absurd.

If you are skipping the cut scenes why the heck are you playing this game?

I think it’s easier to get a feeling of mastery in Revengeance then DmC.

That’s because it’s much more simple than DmC. Then again, i’ve played MGR 5 times now, and have no desire to replay DmC ever again, mostly because of the completely horrible soundtrack.

being able to get past the lower difficulty levels requires mastering when to parry on each of the enemy types and bosses

Well, no, no it doesnt, as the game is VERY generous with medkits, you constantly get more of them even during boss fights, and they are even used automatically. Monsoon battle would be extremely hard for unskilled player, if he didnt chuck you 1-3 medkits every minute or so. As it is, only the final boss hits hard enough to negate the medkit advantage the player has. Pre-Revengeance difficulty, of course.

parrying is the most important part of the game

The problem i had initially, was that you cant parry glowing yellow attacks. Except you can ! Some of them ! You totally can ! Except that some of THEM also damage you even if you parry, but some dont. It’s a lot to memorize and recall in a hurry. They really should have made unparry-able attacks more distinct, instead of throwing them all together.

Thanks. I’ll pick this up, but I might wait. I just bought Wolfenstein which will probably be my next action game. I know they’re not the same genre, but I usually only have 1 action game going at a time. Right now my time has been sucked up by Dragon Age anyways.

Off topic but Wolfenstein was good too.

Makes me wish I could parry!

Still one of the greatest QT3 thread titles. Bravo!

This is a neat quote because it makes me think about other action games that have built systems to allow/require the player to stay on the offensive permanently in order to survive:

• Revengeance: parry
  • Ninja Gaiden II: iframes
  • Doom 2016: push forward
  • Bayonetta: dodge offset

I think there is a gaping chasm between “allow” and “require”
Require makes for amazing games.
Allow makes for sleep inducers like Bayonetta.

I was all excited about my post and then realized Bayonetta doesn’t really work there. It’s kind of necessary for NSIC difficulty I guess.

I never bothered revisiting it in harder difficulty, let alone unlock NSIC, but I suspect I didn’t understand the combat at all (I was basically mashing buttons, just focusing on the dodge, and it was not an exhilarating experience).
Now I’m quite curious about Doom. I had a virtual friend who got very into it in its harder difficulty, trying to clear it deathless, and, indeed, a single instant of pause was usually enough for him to be killed on the spot.