Metal Gear Survive - Co-op zombie shooter

#FuckKonami

So, um, here’s the first actual gameplay in TGS 2016

(Seriously, this would be a better idea if Konami didn’t strap the “Metal Gear” brand mindlessly)

I’m interested but I wonder if solo will be viable since that is how I often play. Maybe group with randoms?

I would like this a lot better if the zombies didn’t have gems for heads.

-Tom

Waiiiit… were bits of the Afghanistan map from MGSV copy-pasted almost as-is? That looks like the village with the spetznaz commander mission with a bit of rubble added in. Ew, that’s low. Not a big fan of the extreme browness, either.

Having watched the whole thing… the game could still be cool, right guys? Right? I mean, the MGSV engine is really great so that’s one thing going for it. That bit with the zombies overwhelming the fence looked really cool too.

On the other hand, if Payday 2 taught me anything, it’s that coop stealth is dodgy at best. It’s three extra idiots to mess things up OR that one guy always restarting the mission because he doesn’t get that total stealth just won’t work with the current team.

According to the backstory, you’re in an alternate dimension consisting of bits of the real world that have been teleported in. So it’s totally like that for story reasons, not because they’re too cheap to make new levels!

-Tom

Wasn’t it only MSF Mother Base from (cue dramatic voice) NINE YEARS AGO that got magically warped? Those look like bits of Diamond Dog’s mother base and I guess Afghanistan somehow got wormholed in too? I DEMAND A THOROUGH LORE EXPLANATION! Oh who am I kidding, I’ll buy this. I loved MGSV so much.

Anyway, I always thought asset recycling was an important part of making a game, it’s just that getting players to swallow it and not going overboard is a delicate art. Making bespoke assets for everything severely limits the scope of a game. Some other poster somewhere also pointed out that it’s a shame to make big open worlds for every AAA game, then chuck it out and make another one for the sequel. He’s got a point.

First E3 playtests are positive, but the game is delayed until early 2018. I had a feeling that would happen, since there were no news for a long time and they probably had to find some new staff and re-learn the ropes.

Two ways to play – Single Play and CO-OP Play. These modes are linked via Base Camp. Character progress and gear carries between the two modes.

Build and develop your Base Camp. This offers access to weapon and gear crafting. As well as offering you a command centre for planning missions in Single Play and CO-OP Play.

Gather resources for use in crafting including blue prints and raw materials. These can be gathered in Single play by exploring the environment or won in successful CO-OP missions

Develop Base camp with new facilities to aid survival – including crop growing, animal rearing, food and water storage. As your camp develops you’ll gain access to high grade crafting items.

Manage resources, including human essentials such as food and water as well as raw materials used for weapons, defences and expendables.

New gameplay trailer:

So there’s a single player survival sim aspect. Where, for example, Longest Dark has warmth to manage, this has oxygen. I guess it’s going to be mostly coop, though, and it’s going to be a Fortnite/Monster Hunter mashup from what I saw. I don’t think it’ll be too bad. It’s not an ambitious title, but it does have a kickass engine.

Public beta starting January 18th

That’s actually looking pretty damn cool.

The public Beta is going on right now. It’s ok, I guess? It’s ugly, but it plays well enough. The traps seem to have lots of potential, but I haven’t seen much of it pan out in practice yet. That VR empty lobby room you get to mess around in is really cool. You don’t get to play in it while using Quick Match, which is dumb.

The Beta does throw you into it head first, though. There’s lots I still don’t understand. Where does the stuff you loot during missions go? Where are the rewards for sub-missions? Why isn’t my end mission grade any better?

Played the beta a few hours… was very surprised at how ‘different’ this game feels compared to the usual tower defense shooter games. I really like that ammo can be sparse and has to be crafted to replenish, it forces players to think before they shoot. As well am surprised at how well the animations are in this game. When zombies start busting down a metal fence it actually bends! Its kind of cool to see the zombie lumber over and fall around the fence.

Game looks fun as coop solo but 40 bux seems like alot for a usually cheaper priced game with dlc (Dungeon Defenders/Orcs Must Die/Sanctum) genre. If the game has more depth (weapons/char development/maps) it could be worth it… but 40 bux new seems too much. maybe 30 as an MGSV DLC.

I guess I’m the only one who got this? Game is decent, a mix between RE Revelation meets 7 Days to Die… very lite camp building compared to 7 Days imo. Its definitely worth it for under 30, which I got it for on GMG. I like how the tower defense seems to be balance within the solo / coop modes early on… the last waves always seem to be a nailbiter for me. As well the combat has a meaty feel to it. As well the time system also has a little bit of Dead Rising 1 and 2… having to save people and open up portals mechanic.

Oh well, I thought it would be average… its actually really addicting and fun! Survival and tower defense works well. Does use too much of same assets from MGSV though. likely will be DLC’d to death.

I picked this up too, but haven’t had a chance to try it yet. Hoping to dive in in the next couple of days.

Glad to hear of your positive first impressions!

I’ll try it this evening. In the meantime, some people found this in the EULA:

Is this a new thing? How do you define “relationship”? Hm. I can quickly see this turning into a P&R trap.

Can love bloom on the battlefield?

Not if Konami has anything to say about it.

So it think the game is a lot of fun, in a recycled, slightly underwhelming kind of way. You progressively extend your area of influence with new items, quest rewards, home base buildings and team members, so the feeling of going just a little bit farther to get one more thing is always there. You can never go very far into the mist, though, because the threat of running out of oxygen or getting mobbed to death is always there too.

I even liked the opening cinematic. It’s all about the aftermath of the battle. While others run off to other adventures, for you it’s funerals. It does make you feel like the underdog.

So yeah, I’m enjoying this game so much more than expected. I’m probably going to stream some more in a bit. If anyone in this thread wants to play, I’m McMaster on steam - image - feel free to add me. I have Discord or whatever for comms, if we need it.