Metro 2033 - is it Stalker: Shadows of the Subway or Hellgate: Moscow?

robc04 I have pretty much the exact same issue. There is so much great stuff in the game, but I just don’t find it engaging to play for some reason.

I respect the story writing, but it is so relentlessly depressing that it’s hard to keep playing sometimes.

I just finished reading the book Metro 2033. It’s a great dystopian sci-fi read. I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. There are sections that are deeply philosophical and others that convey more of a terrifying horror vibe than anything else I’ve read. Overall, there’s not a ton of direct fighting action in the book. It’s a bit more of a psychological thriller with some action thrown in.

Since Metro 2033 Redux was on sale on PSN, I picked it up a week or two ago. I just put 30 minutes into it last night and was pleasantly surprised how closely it tracked to the book. There’s more action, obviously. It does a better job of conveying the alone-in-a-dark-tunnel vibe than I expected, but so far cuts out much of the journey of the game for action. Nevertheless, I’m excited to continue playing to see how it continues to track the book. One part that was off putting is that the tutorial – the first scene in the game – is the penultimate scene in the book. Wasn’t expecting that, but I guess it works well. It remains to be seen how well the story plays out in game format. So far, they’re over-exaggerating the story elements.

I kinda started learning Russian just so I could read all the Dmitry Glukhovsky Metro books in their original language (then branching out). (+ the IT security angle that kinda requires you to know Russian).

I really felt that the game/book complemented each other. I wonder, did the store-bought version of Metro 2033 include the Book? Remember Colditz back on the AMiGA included the book Colditz.

The second Metro game included a PDF copy of the first book. I keep meaning to get around to reading it. The first few pages seemed pretty good.

I bought a paper copy and haven’t seen the PDF. The book is a great read, though.

Metro Exodus E3 trailer

STALKERish open world Metro, dream come true.

Plus nice 28 days later music in the trailer.

Then TEW2, Wolfenstein 2 and Dishonored: Daud 2 looking fantastic. Pretty cool E3 so far.

It doesn’t exactly look open world to me. Description says “non-linear” levels and then adds “spans an entire year through spring, summer and autumn to the depths of nuclear winter”. My guess would be small-ish game world (Prey sized, except in the open), with multiple set-piece ridden paths to the objective, with lots of backtracking through different seasons. This developer likes their pre-designed immersive animations a little too much for that to not be the case.

I did say STALKERish, Stalker also isn’t quite openworld in the GTA-like definition…I am fine with just having some large open zones to explore. CoP was great in that regard and seeing the map in this Metro, it seems the structure could be similar.

Yeah that’s very possible. Hopefully they’ll keep most of the mechanics, they’re pretty solid and immersive. I wouldn’t mind if they dial down the set pieces though, easily my least favorite part of the Metro games. I handled them fine on my first run but literally ragequit 2033 when I got to the trolley section again the last time I played (not because I couldn’t beat it, I just have a strong dislike for that type of game design).

Oh god, yes. That trolley section was so hard too. I don’t mind that type of thing if it’s just there to provide a bit of variety, but to actually make it super hard? It just meant that I had to do it over and over and couldn’t wait to get through it and get that section over with.

Cant wait! Just finished the second book :)

That was a nice trailer. I own the two previous games but haven’t played them yet - looks like I need to find a place for them in my schedule!

Do find the time, they are both excellent and really atmospheric games.

To add to the confusion, they call it sandbox survival for some strange reason.

I bet it will fall between Metro and Stalker. Mostly Metro directed events, then interludes in large maps to walk around. Explore a little, collect supplies, then proceed to the designated exit.

This is exactly what I want. :)

The game picks up where Metro: Last Light left off with the good ending. Artyom is back and now he needs to join together with a small group of survivors and board a train and escape Moscow. He goes on an epic journey that spans the continent and goes across post-apocalyptic Russia. The whole journey takes about a year and we get to see all the seasons in the year and we get to see that journey and how the time and everything that happens along the way affects the characters and how the characters change.

I guess we should give the game its own thread, if anyone has time this weekend.

Bummer. I would be stoked for a straight up Russian version of this.