Metro Exodus may ruin the bullet economy

There’s a Digital Foundry interview today that dives into some of the graphics technology. I found it incomprehensable :)

Yeah, this seems to be completely true - I just played for about an hour on Extreme and my actual FPS hasn’t changed/felt any different over Ultra. I don’t have an FPS counter running (EPIC doesn’t seem to have one built in like Steam does, and FRAPS doesn’t work) but I’m not finding any functional difference so far. Then again, it also doesn’t look any different than on Ultra so far, either, like I said - I doubt the differences are super vast.

Well, I guess people who have it have been playing this weekend. Anyone want to write impressions?

So far this is exactly what I was hoping for. The more open spaces are giving me serious Stalker flashbacks (in a good way) and it’s absolutely gorgeous.

Haven’t run across any more buggy humutants, but twice I’ve watched bandits in combat literally walking around in the sky. One that I shot, zorped back comically to the roof of the structure I was fighting next to. Not sure what is going on there, but in general the bugs have seemed only occasional and really goofy.

This happened to me, but only once so far.

Here is my hot take.

To sum up, this is also what I was hoping for, it’s a really fun shooter with shades of Doom and Wolfenstein as well as a bit of the exploration, side quests, and interactive bits that something like a Far Cry has, all while being in a much richer world space.

I mentioned before but I really like the gameplay loop - in that, you get to a new area, and have a big map to explore. But while it’s not crazy big, it’s big enough to feel right and it’s packed full of stuff to reward exploration, from materials to weapon mods and upgrades to your armor/suit such as motion detectors, night vision goggles, and the like.

It’s a pretty game, with a really nice day and night cycle that combines well with the world. At night, human enemies are sleeping for the most part, save a few sentries, but the mutants and creature populations are more prominent, and in at least the early area, lightning balls can form randomly and wreak havoc at night. During the day, it’s a bit safer to travel, except for bandits and such. There are, peppered through the first map at least, safe houses where you can work shop and craft more ammo and rest to change the time of day, as well.

The reactivity of the game hasn’t been talked about much but it’s blowing my damned mind. Walking up to some villagers that believe electricity is a sin at night, and they complimented me for not having a “demon flash light” turned on, and thanked me for having my weapon holstered. I’ve been complimented on things I’ve done elsewhere, optional stuff even, from not killing my enemies to how I completed a quest, or if I talked to a specific person. It’s really impressing the hell out of me, and it seems to happen fairly often.

Only the one bug (above) so far, visuals have been out-freaking-standing while the tech runs like butter even on my “aging” hardware (I’m glad I didn’t invest in upgrading my PC last year like I was thinking, there was literally no need if I can run Exodus at Extreme 1440p @60fps, in my book), and every time I sit down to play something, I find I am launching this one more and more often than any other game I’m into.

On a side note, I read that playing with the native Russian voice work and English subtitles is a really immersive experience. I’m not finding that option anywhere, so if anyone knows how to pull that off I’d be up for trying it.

At the bottom of the Game Options section there’s settings for Text Language and Voice Language.

I’ll also add that the first person animations are some of the best in any fps game ever, if not THE best. The immersion is through the roof.

Nitpick time. I absolutely hate the accurate, but irritating foot shuffling noises when you walk slowly. It is a bit grating to my ears.

I think you’re struggling by with a 1080Ti right? If you’re not ok the rest of us would be in trouble.

LOL well, the upgrade would have had me retain the card, it was a CPU upgrade to get an i9 from the new generation everyone was drooling over when they came out last year, myself included. And then you see the requirements for “Extreme” call for that same i9 in Metro Exodus, and one gets a little worries. Thankfully, no worry was needed. :)

If I ever go 4K I’ll look at upgrading the card first, I think, but honestly I really adore 1440p for everything, from general PC use to gaming, and don’t suspect I’ll ever go 4K. At least not in the foreseeable future.

Same here. I’m sticking with ultrawide. If I changed monitor it would be for HDR and presumably VRR and or high refresh rates, but I don’t feel any need. Assuming there is another console generation step-up of the kind we’re used to, it can all be reassessed then :)

Ultrawide and 3400x 1440 is so awesome, I much prefer it to even 4k on a 65" OLED. Ultra-wide is just a game changer, not only for open world, games (but them especially), but also for first person game (the original Crysis is awesome in ultra-wide), and isometric RPGs like Pillars and Divinity are amazing too. It’s remarkable really. HDR is not important for games.

Will probably upgrade to an 80" OLED this year and then maybe I’ll reconsider which should be my gaming monitor.

Apparently slightly less than 200,000 copies were sold on steam in preorders 2 weeks before launch before they yanked it away.
https://www.gry-online.pl/S013.asp?ID=113505

Between the warning on Steam and its removal there was maybe a 5 hour window max.

If they would have let it open until that evening when people were getting home from work I can imagine that number would be higher.

I managed to get it but only because I was already home from work :)

I dislike you! :D

Don’t, it’s not like I can play it, what with the BSODs and fucked up controller sensitivity… :)

True, at least a year from now it should be bug free on Steam.

Plus the DLCs will be out so you will get to play complete experience. Frankly I am kinda hesitating if I should just wait for those as well or start playing when they fix it. Because I do not like going back to play new content if the content is added to a game I already finished. Unless it is a post-ending expansion, then it is ok, but no idea what the DLCs for Metro are gonna be like.

True, what is in the season pass? I haven’t found much info.

Also this fantastic cinematic was not posted here yet.

I just got done building my first gaming pc in a few years, and this was the first thing I installed. About 10 minutes into the game and I got a hard lock that forced me to reboot my computer. WTH? I’ve had no other issues in other apps/games. Playing on a Ryzen 2700 with a EVGA 1070. Game looks fantastic, but I will switch to DX 11 since playing in 12 may be the issue.

Between you and @Paul_cze I’m wondering if there isn’t an issue with AMD CPUs.