Metro Exodus may ruin the bullet economy

Same here. I think that’s why I played and finished all of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games but only got part way through the first Metro game. Love the setting, the lore and the aesthetic but never felt comfortable while playing. I’m hoping this new Metro game works for me.

Ranger hardcore has been a sublime experience so far. Ammo and crafting materials are a real concern and because the quick save is disabled you pretty much have to roll with the events as they unfold. Messed up a stealth section? Guns blazing it is.

I really like the fact that enemies surrender when they see you’ve knocked out or killed a few of their buddies, makes me feel less like a mindless wasteland murderer and more like a guy who’s just doing what he has to to survive.

Binoculars mechanic is also pretty great.

Can anyone tell me how to beat the 2nd bear fight? I have googled this and I can’t seem to pull it off.

I position myself near the cliff where the crank and zip line is. Then the bear charges me and just starts to beat me down. He never goes over the cliff and the cutscene never triggers. I have tried this like 20 times. I have tried different spots near the cliff edge and I have tried shooting the bear and setting it on fire, and nothing works.

I am about to simply uninstall the game if I can’t make it past this.

I used Moltov Cocktails and incendiary arrows and kept thinking I was fucking up and hitting escape and reloading to avoids seeing the death animation, until I gave up and watched it only to realize I’d been seeing a cut scene that was unavoidable. LOL. Are you doing the same thing, I wonder?

No. I am seeing the screen to load my game again. Are you standing generally where I was standing? I do not think I used incendiary arrows him though. He is supposed to be immune to everything anyway.

Cocktails definitively stun him, then I unloaded on him with an 8-cylinder modified pistol (I remember using this because it fires a lot faster and he couldn’t catch me while I was reloading the arrows). When he made to run at me, I’d run laterally of his way, turn and repeat, refreshing the cocktail when he stopped being on fire. It really worked pretty well, until suddenly he’d lunge before I had a chance to react and I think that’s the start of the cut scene. I wasn’t consciously aware of where I was standing either time, it may not matter, but rather might be a factor of him hitting a damaged threshold?

Maybe it is a damage threshold thing. I do not have a lot of ammo left because the first time I fought him i unloaded on him. I guess ill try again and spend all my remaining ammo and hope it is enough.

Good luck! If you are stuck, I’d drop the difficulty down in the main menu before I just uninstalled and gave up, there is a lot of awesome stuff yet ahead of you.

The damage threshold must have been it. I threw everything I had at it, and this time I got the cut scene.

The coolest of beans, congrats!

I wrapped this up early this morning and found it entirely amazing and satisfying. I was surprised the open world feeling sort of evaporates half way through, with the third act having some open elements but feeling a bit more like the open levels in Half-Life 2 - just enough to explore, but really one “right” path. I liked it though, it was a much stronger story being told and the finale was fan-fucking-tastic. Then you have the final act, which I won’t spoil except to say this felt like the most Metro part of the entire game, and it was excellent and … lots of positive adjectives, let’s say. So good.

I managed to get the “good” ending by sheer accident, just exploring well and making good choices I guess, and as far as I can find EPIC doesn’t track my time played, so I have no idea how long it was. I would imagine about 15 hours or so, it didn’t feel like I played it enough for it to be much more than that, as I was also playing Civ VI and AoW 3 between sessions (and the odd Slay the Spire game while watching The Umbrella Academy). I definitely feel like I got my money’s worth though, for sure. Just a gorgeous game, it ran like butter on my system throughout, and everything from the upgrade and mod mechanics to the sound design was just exactly what I was hoping for or, in many ways, exceeded expectations. Best game in a great series.

Glad to hear that Scott, news / word of mouth sorta petered out with the latest wave of new releases and I was wondering if it ended up being a good game from beginning to end.

The zeitgeist moved from complaining about the Epic store to complaing about load times in Anthem. Want to bet on next week’s topic of internet doom?

In a few weeks is Division 2, right? Something with that would be my guess. It’s strange how many of these big multiplayer shooters are all dropping one right after the other. I guess the last one to drop will have the best chance of gathering a long lasting audience?

Well I’ll tell you right now, it would have been Anno 1800 and one of their quests to find 10 farmers dog’s in the extremely detailed wheat fields. ;)

But that game got moved to April.

Dear god do npcs in this game ever shut up? I’ve been listening to Anna go on and on and on and on for solid 5 minutes already (train ride after Volga).

Brevity, what the hell happened to it in modern AAA writing?

It’s Russian. Long novels too :)

Yeah, thanks for reminding me of Punishment and Punishment. Not only did I have to read the book, I also had to suffer through a theatre performance. It was almost 5 hours long.

One thing so far I didn’t love, was that people on the train seemed to literally freeze their dialog when you wander off and then pick up right there when you come back like nothing happened in between.

I haven’t had the time to play in a bit, so maybe they patched it or something, but it was very jarring.

I have asked that question a few times. There are ways to escape though. In one of the in-between train scenes, there was all this story telling, and a sing along and whatnot. It would never fucking end. I then realised I could get to the map on the train and just go to the next area. Toward the end of the game, it became a lot more cinematic / scripted scenes that went on forever it seemed.

I finished the game and got the good ending. I liked it, but I do not love it. Toward the end I was feeling the sameness of all the encounters a lot. Oh look, I am in a cave and its dark, I wonder of those spiders will be here. Oh yes… Oh, this is a one way jump down into a room / arena, I guess once I do, the now peaceful area will be flooded with monsters, and then it was…

I also didn’t like the busy work mechanics like gun cleaning, dealing with spider webs, and stuff like that.

Ill probably buy the next game if they make one, but it will be more like, “I am bored and have nothing else to play at the moment” rather than it being something I really want to play.