Metro Exodus may ruin the bullet economy

Heh, no need for that. I bought both remasters in 2014 for $60. I thought it was a good deal back then. I didn’t know I wouldn’t get around to playing it yet in 2021.

Stupid question:
I didn’t enjoy the first game as I hated the forced stealth sections. Are there any more stealth sections in the second and third games?

A few, yes, from what I remember… Not sure it’s enforced in any of them, but certainly presented as the starting approach.

is the upgrade a paid upgrade or free?

It’s free.

When I installed the game from the latest Humble Bundle, it started installing the Enhanced edition, but also had the original Metro Exodus in the queue, which I cancelled.

I’m still playing Metro: Last Light, so I haven’t fired it up yet to see if the Enhanced Edition works without also installing the original. I’m hoping so, because they’re both huge.

Mine is from the Epic Store and I don’t recall seeing a big upgrade from the launcher recently so I will have to look into it. Not like I would benefit (or do I?) since I don’t have a RTX GPU.

From the website:

Please note – the Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition requires Ray Tracing capable hardware as the minimum spec

Thanks. I see it now. Boo min spec requiring RTX.

Yeah, they really should have made it clear in all the prerelease marketing that this new version required ray-tracing. By completely failing to ever mention that, they have slapped all gamers right in the face. In the face, I say!

PS5 version sounding pretty good,they are claiming rock solid 60fps with RT lighting. I assume Series X will be similar

Arg. Trying to actually get back to a save in the DLC is so awkward I seem to have over-written autosaves, manual saves, quicksaves… and been thrown back to the beginning of it. And this game has so many scenes where you’re trapped while dialog happens around you, like a cutscene but unskippable. Grr.

This is interesting.

So even though I don’t plan to buy the PS5 any time soon, I could potentially get the PS5 controller to see what the implementation is like in Metro Exodus. And hopefully other games if other developers do the same.

(Also it’s kind of funny that the PS5/Xbox Series version of Exodus isn’t out yet, so the PC is getting this PS5 specific support before the actual PS5).

Late reply, but I also didn’t like the early Metros. But after a lot of boredom and a lot of research I reluctantly picked this up and… It was pretty good. Not great, but worth the $30 or so bucks I spent on it.

Yes, there are in the third, can’t speak to the second.

Worthwhile.

Gamepass!

Enhanced Edition seems to be fairly well optimized, or the RT impact is minimal, I honestly can’t tell since you can’t turn it off anyway - but I’m getting ~80-90 fps on a 3060 RTX (!) at 1440p on Ultra settings and Quality DLSS (still my favorite computer tech advancement in the last 20 years, easily).

But man the way this game wants you to stand around and listen to convos riles me up like few other things, it’s so asinine that it’s hard to comprehend. Someone in the dev department really wanted to justify the VO budget I guess…

It was really hard to find some gameplay to check out the enhancements!

I don’t know who started the trend (I kind of think it may have been Infinity Ward), but so many modern game developers think of themselves as film producers it seems. And they actually think when people pay $60 for a game that what they’re really looking for is a movie to watch.

The opening of Metro Exodus is one of the worst examples I’ve run into with this. Never even fucking mind the dialog sequences; the actual “gameplay” involves you walking down a corridor, pressing a button to open a door whereupon the game takes control of your character while you watch a protracted door-opening sequence, followed by you walking further and pressing a button to descend a ladder, whereupon the game takes control of your character while you watch a protracted ladder-descension sequence, walking to a room whereupon the game takes control of your character while he gets attacked by enemies, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera…

It’s not fun. It’s not immersive. It’s not impressive. It’s stupid. I’m not interested in watching the developers play my game for me. When the game takes control of my character and runs hurriedly through a door while a big toothy monster is in pursuit I’m not thinking to myself “Wow this is so exciting and scary!”; I’m thinking “Wow I wish I could actually fucking play this game myself.” And no, putting a QTE in the middle of the cutscene so the player can mash the E button a hundred times is not “gameplay”; it’s “lazy”.

That’s why I laugh when I hear people comparing these games to Stalker, which is the polar opposite of Metro as far as design philosophy is concerned. Stalker was designed to be a game. Half the time Metro feels like it was designed to be a tech demo. Like their core goal was to make something that looked impressive on YouTube.