Metroid confirmed as a launch title? wow

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707486p1.html

Apparently retro studios has confirmed metroid prime 3 as a launch title for the Wii. I think its pretty amazing that 2 nintendo’s 3 main franchises have confirmed launch titles (Zelda and Metriod). Will Mario be next?

I guess that is one benefit of having only a marginal bump in hardware over the current gen.

That basically means I have to buy this on release day.

I think it’s pretty amazing that people think a late-development bump from old hardware to new to make a launch title out of Zelda is a good thing. It’s not the end of the world, I’m sure it will still be a fine game, but how is it at all amazing?

Does it matter?

No, it just makes you look stupid when you buy into their marketing spin that went something to the effect of “For the first time ever, we’ve got a Zelda game as a launch title!” I don’t know if the Metroid game was planned on the Revolution from the get-go, so maybe they still get credit for that, but in the E3 press conference they really did make a point of having a Zelda game at launch, which was really weasely. Of course no one else is calling them on it because they’re excited about the Revolution, and rightly so.

And I’m amazed how you could consider it a bad thing. Bumping a title means it will be widescreen and support the Wiimote. Yeah, if Nintendo could make a Cube Zelda and then a totally different Wii Zelda at launch that would be awesome but of course that’s not in the cards. Given the choice I’d rather they just push back the release and exploit the new features.

Mario will not be a launch game. According to IGN they plan to release it within 6 months of launch.

And for the zelda thing: kamea, PD0 and numerous other games were originally developed for the xbox.

I understand what you are saying. But given the fact that the Wii is on par numbers wise with the original Xbox, its tech is firmly last gen. Graphically every Wii game could have been done as a slightly trimmed down Cube game. What makes the Wii games special is the way they take advantage of the controller, which zelda will do.

Just from the videos of Mario Galaxy though, it appears to me there’s an appreciable, if not revolutionary (ha) leap in the visuals from the GC to the Wii. Any other time games have been ported from last gen consoles to the Next Big Thing, it’s at least a slight disappointment. No one’s saying you can’t have fun with Gun or Tony Hawk on your 360–for example–but anyone would agree it would’ve been nicer to have games built for the 360 from the start instead of a last gen port. Now people are giving the exact opposite reaction to the announcement of Zelda’s bump to the Wii, and that’s a double standard. I understand Zelda’s one of the most high profile cases of this sort of thing, and it’s a franchise with tons of good will behind it. I understand it will probably still be a great game. But don’t tell me Nintendo’s made some brilliant move by up-porting a GC game. It’s making the best of the situation they’re in, which is fine, but don’t try to tell me it’s any more than that.

Edit: I’m not really sure who I’m talking to there, and I sorta just repeated my earlier points. I guess Angrycoder and Chris Nahr have both already acknowledged my point and just emphasized theirs. Fair enough.

Nice comparison.