Metroid Prime 4 rolls into development trouble

Title Metroid Prime 4 rolls into development trouble
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When January 25, 2019

Citing development issues, Nintendo is starting over on Metroid Prime 4…

Read the full article

THIS IS NOT THE NEWS I WANTED TO WAKE UP TO TODAY.

I do like the pun though, with the whole Samus rolling into trouble aspect.

Retro taking over development is a nice surprise at least.

“A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.” --Shigeru Miyamoto

Indeed. It’s a positive sign at least. If anyone can capture the magic, I believe Retro can.

I think most of the Metroid Prime guys are long gone from Retro. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Yup; a couple of the folks from there went on to form Armature Games. Lead Designer and Art Director at the very least.

Which Metroid would be best for a Metroid-noob to start with? Are there any for handhelds?

Dammit I want a 2D one.

Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission are great to start with.

Yeah, if it’s not a 2D Metroid I’m not interested.

IGN has a decent breakdown of who’s still there from the original Prime trilogy. Obviously it’s not surprisingly that in the decade since Metroid Prime 3 shipped, a lot of people have moved on. What I’m wondering about is what this means for the studio’s rumored Star Fox racing game.

There’s 2017’s Metroid: Samus Returns for handhelds (3DS). I’m a fan of the series (i’ve been casually playing them since I got the original back in my NES days), but I am by no means any sort of expert on it. So while I might suggest starting here if you’re new to the series, someone more in the know might have their own opinion on the subject.

It’s a little harder than past entries, but it’s made with more modern sensibilities when it comes to UI, pacing, and exploration.

I’ve just been on a Metroid binge in the last four months, playing through Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission and now Prime 3 on the Wii (u). I have to say, I know I’m ten years late to the party, but I’m not enjoying Prime3 at all… the formula doesn’t feel like it works as a shooter.

Samia Returns looks pretty awesome though.

Meant to post this when I saw it yesterday, happy start-over-versary!