Metroid: Samus Returns Ͼ⁞ @: Ͼ⁞ @: <--They're Metroids. That's why Samus is back.

Friday. Reviews are coming in rather high… Available for 3DS (or any flavor thereof…)

Eurogamer is less positive…

I believe this is relevant to many Qt3 interests. I decided to pre-order because I suspect this one will retain a high value through the holidays and Amazon only gives 20% off on pre-orders anymore.

Highly relevant to my interests - this and the new Layton game are my most anticipated releases over the next month or so.

I really only like the 2D Metroids and I thought they were dead and gone, so this is even more special to me. I’m just the slightest bit disappointed that this one sounds like it’s more heavily focused on combat, but I’ll take what I can get I suppose.

The USGamer review I linked notes that there’s lots of combat, but it still sounds like there is a ton of exploration. That they give you a visor to scan for secrets says a lot about how much hidden stuff there must be. I’m ok with it deviating though. It still sounds like Metroid to me.

What are your characters in the thread title supposed to be? The ARMS and Splatoon ones were easy to interpret, but I’m having some trouble with this one.

Metroids!

Sorry… I had to turn them on their sides. Apparently this game has a lot of them.

Maybe this would work better? @⁞

or…

@:

This one was tough. I thought I should try to keep up the style though. :)

thanks for asking that was killing me

LOL! The @ symbol one might be better.

Ah! I see it now. I thought they were maybe rockets or tiny gun-arms.

Back on topic – I remember there being some consternation that some gameplay was locked behind an Amiibo. Did that ever change?

Title fixed. :D

Here’s the Amiibo info…

Looked better before. I thought they were brilliant.

I kinda agree. I’m changing them back…

This is awesome! I loves me some 2D Metroid (though Metroid Prime was excellent) and Super Metroid is still probably my favorite game of all time.

Now I am tempted to go back and play Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission which I never finished (hell, I think I only played Mission for 20 minutes). Come to think of it, I never finished Metroid II and it was the first game I got for the GBC. Definitely getting this. Hope the music is good - all the games had great soundtracks.

So Metroids are the bad guys? And they look like little blobs?

You never played Metroid or Super Metroid?

I did, briefly. Maybe about 20 minutes each, in 2003. I was super-bored and don’t remember much. I suspect I waited too long to try it. Plus Braid wasn’t out yet, and that’s the game that finally got me to appreciate 2D platformers.

Oh, well, yeah, Metroids are the badguys and you hunt them. They are sort of like space jellyfish.

…and this particular game is a “remake” of Metroid II where hunting the metroids was the main goal. That’s how it works in this new one, too.

Metroid is actually the name of the player character. It’s just like Zelda in that respect.

Likes are required now for this thread. Can we turn them on please?

I lol’d. Like a lot. Seriously.