MGM is on sale! Get your piping hot MGM now!

Variety’s take on the sale:

However, companies that kicked the tires on MGM when it was being quietly shopped in recent months had expressed shock over the price that Amazon was willing to pay for the studio. They believed the studio was worth more on the order of $5 billion to $6 billion with the assumption of some debt. That was due in part to the fact that MGM shares the rights to the Bond franchise with Eon Productions. That company, which is run by half-siblings Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, has an unusual amount of control over the spy series — the approve everything from marketing to casting to distribution. That means that Amazon will struggle to get their sign off on any move to, say, debut the next Bond film on its streaming service, Amazon Prime.

Part of the value of MGM that I presume also exists: a whole lot of music publishing rights for original songs/scores from MGM musicals.

True, but it doesn’t on the face of it seem like one that will face steep regulatory hurdles, at least in the US.

This sentence in the Variety story jumped out, as I’m a latecomer to Handmaid’s Tale:

On the TV front, the Amazon exec cited “Fargo,” “The Handmaid’s Tale” and “Vikings.”

So it would move from Hulu to Prime, right?

Depends on existing contracts, I assume. But they’d end up on Amazon eventually.

Ah, yes, contracts, like how Disney+ and HBO Max were missing shows/movies they would normally own due to how the contracts were signed back in the Before Times.

Thank fuck we don’t tax or regulate corporations or the oligarchs who control them in any meaningful way, or we’d endanger the Shadowrun Prophecies and endanger causality itself.

Hmmm…

I wonder if we will get SGA and SG1 on Prime now.

SG1 came to Netflix recently so there is probably some contractual blocking of that.

Does it though? I thought at the time it was said that that producer guy (Burnett?) had control of the off-screen footage.

Yeah, that’s my impression as well. MGM may have broadcast rights, but Rob Burnett has control of and possession of any non-broadcast footage, outtakes not packaged for broadcast and such.

Now, if someone from the show has their own copy of the former President saying untoward things in outtakes, that might be an interesting contractual conundrum…though it seems at least fairly likely that Rob Burnett has contractual control over any of that stuff.

I would be shocked if Burnett hadn’t shredded those drives years ago.

I would imagine so…though he’s also as cynical and businesslike as anyone out there, so if he kept a couple of very secret recordings on hand just in case DJT had cause to throw him under the bus at some future point that wouldn’t surprise me either.

But the rumor is that it’s others associated with the show who aren’t Burnett who may have their own recordings that could be out there. At this point though, that seems as much urban legend as reality.

And still no Bond on Prime. Ok, Goldeneye, but that’s it. Who owns the rights to the best Bond movie?

They’re all on Virgin here.