Michael Bay to direct Superman

Not quite official but looks likely. From the man’s official web page

http://www.michaelbay.com/040630.htm

well there goes any hope that’ll be good.

Barf-tron.

Are they still using that god-awful script where Krypton didn’t blow up, Jimmy Olsen is gay, and “FBI Special Agent Dr. Lex Luthor” has the same powers as Superman?

Whom all signs point toward being played by Vin Diesel.

Edit: Added in the Vin Diesel part.

Michael Bay is still making movies. There is no God.

I’ll take Michael Bay over that hack McG anyday.

It’s still taking the evil of two lessers, but at least Michael Bay can make a “movie”, as opposed to the two-hour long music video/MTV commercial that McG turns out.

Wake me up before you go, ho! (Wasn’t that a video?)

Who gives a shit about the Superman movie.

Just get that next Batman movie right.

Have they learned nothing from Spiderman? Or even LOTR? Get a proper film maker with a passion for the material, not a glorified marketing executive.

You guys lack vision. Imagine all the slow-motion shots where the camera rotates around Superman with his cape blowing in the wind. That’s Bay’s money shot, and perfect for Superman.

Bay gets a lot of crap, but The Rock was solidly entertaining. I’d say it was better than Spiderman 1.

Also, Sam Raimi is a proper filmmaker? Was it Evil Dead or Darkman that established him as that?

Peter Jackson had only made a handful of movies before LOTR, and none of them were great, and certainly none were anywhere near the scope of LOTR. That was the big story of the LOTR, Jackson gets $300 million despite being a nobody.

Evil Dead II, actually, which was one of the most visually arresting films of the decade, and a quantum leap beyond his first Dead film.

You seem to want to denigrate the craft of moviemaking based on a given person’s chosen subject matter. In other words, you seem to want to believe that a film-maker can’t be great unless he makes a non-genre, mainstream, or Ben-approved film. Luckily for us movie fans, you’re completely wrong.

Heavenly Creatures wasn’t great? It was the fantasy sequences in that movie alone that made me pleased he was taking on The Lord Of The Rings. But I’ve enjoyed all of his movies (with the notable exception of Meet The Feebles), although I’ll grant you that the early ones require a stronger constitution than most movie-goers are capable of.

Jackson has been getting progressively better as a director - look at his marvellous technique of shifting between reality/memory/past/present in the final act of the inexplicably-overlooked The Frighteners.

FIFTH-GENERATION TAURUS

Thanks for saving me the bother, madkevin.

And you guys want to denigrate Bay for the horrible crime of making movies that entertain people.

I like Sam Raimi’s films. I think A Simple Plan is one of the most underrated films ever.

I like Peter Jackson’s films. The Frighteners dramatically exceeded my expectations, and Heavenly Creatures was very good.

The point, and it’s pretty much unarguable, is that Jackson and Raimi were not exactly Scorcese or Spielberg class titans when given their franchises. They were talented/promising/whatever directors who succeeded admirably. The closest example to the studios deciding to “Get a proper film maker” is Batman with Nolan, which hasn’t even succeeded yet.

novacane doesn’t have the slightest clue about the level of passion Bay has for Superman, and it’s pretty tenuous to believe that Jackson and Raimi’s level of “passion” was the driving force behind their success. Of course they claim to have great passion for the project, but it’s unlikely they would say anything otherwise, given their personal and financial stake in the matter. For all we know, Raimi hates Spiderman and really wanted to make Quick and the Dead 2.

No, I want to denigrate Bay for making movies that I fucking hate.

No, for making movies like Pearl Harbour and Armageddon, both of which I hated, and neither of which are held in high regard by pretty much anybody.

the closest example to the studios deciding to “Get a proper film maker” is Batman with Nolan, which hasn’t even succeeded yet.

I should have clarified “proper film maker” earlier. I consider Rami and Jackson to be examples of ‘proper film makers’ because they started off scraping together what little money they could to make independent films that they wanted to see. Michael Bay started out making adverts and music videos, which are all about a quick buck. I haven’t seen anything in his feature length films to suggest this isn’t still his intention.

novacane doesn’t have the slightest clue about the level of passion Bay has for Superman, and it’s pretty tenuous to believe that Jackson and Raimi’s level of “passion” was the driving force behind their success

True, but I can guess.

I believe that having a “passion” for something drives you to produce something more than you otherwise would. Regardless of my film making skills, or lack there of, I’m sure any film I made about American Football would be not be as good as any film I made about ‘Soccer’ because of my personal passions.

Raimi’s love for comics, if not Spiderman specifically was pretty evident before he got the job. As you pointed out “Jackson gets $300 million despite being a nobody”, he must have impressed somebody somewhere with his grasp of the material.

Armageddon was a solidly entertaining popcorn flick.

Micheal Bay started doing what he could to get into the movie making industry. And whether he’s in it for the money or whatever is really irrelevant to how good of a movie Superman will be.

The point, and it’s pretty much unarguable, is that Jackson and Raimi were not exactly Scorcese or Spielberg class titans when given their franchises. They were talented/promising/whatever directors who succeeded admirably. The closest example to the studios deciding to “Get a proper film maker” is Batman with Nolan, which hasn’t even succeeded yet.

Bay had his chance- Pearl Harbor was his big opportunity to move beyond over-the-top action films to something with a bit more weight while still maintaining the spectacle and he blew it big time.

That’s a reasonable point, but I don’t think Superman requires weight to be good. Batman wouldn’t work as cheese, but I think Superman can.