Michael "Kramer" Richards breaks down on stage, hurls racial epithets (N.W.S.)

Actually, comics interviewed in the wake of this have unanimously said that this happened because Richards is obviously a very inexperienced comic who lost control of his audience in a manner that professionals would have known how to handle, and subsequently lost control in general.

He’s not a standup comic, he’s an actor who was moonlighting as a standup comic so he could pay the rent.

Really? Well, I’d say many black people get to say racist stuff all the time and are NEVER called on it. What Richards did was terrible. No one should get away with it. But if there is a discrepency here, it is against white people, not black people. A white person can’t say anything about race, even in comedy. A minority (not just black) can say whatever he/she wants and it’s considered edgy but not racist. Or maybe it’s just let go because minorities are owed some payback on that front. I don’t know, but the double standard is annoying at the very least and hypocritical at its worst.

That column belongs on QT3.

Yes, watching Chris Rock wander around stage screaming “Cracker” is a wonderful example of this.

I know, it’s a direct insult to white people, but it’s not as deeply insulting as other words said against black people, or white people can’t be insulted because they have power and blacks don’t, or something, and that makes it okay.

I agree. If a caucasian tried to pull Carlos Mencia’s act, it’d be the frront story on CNN for a week.

Especially since Mencia isn’t funny.

He was before he “made it”.

And he says nigger quite a bit in his show. The black people are visibly unimpressed, but then Mencia makes it funny and it’s all good.

One time he even made fun of crippled people and there was a guy sitting in a wheelchair right in the front. But, Mencia made it funny, so it’s all right.

He makes fun of “little people” too. Then he put one in his show. Why? Because they’re funny.

I wonder how well it would be received if people knew his real name was Ned Holness.

I don’t follow stand up much, but I had heard the stuff mentioned on that wikipedia page – that he stole most of his material.

I don’t really care one way or the other, but I do know his show is the place were humor goes to die.

Poorly, at least until they found out that Mr. Holness’s mother is from Mexico and his father is from Honduras. Perhaps then they’d then examine more closely the double standards for racism, but they’d more likely go back to giving him a free pass.

He was before he “made it”.

Yeah, he did some HBO specials that were funny as hell. His show, not so much.

My Mexican friends from Northern States have names like Pablo, Paco, and the like. The Mexican people I know from Texas are all named stuff like Fred and Chris.

Yeah my uncle (by marriage) is named Nicholas, and his father is named Nick, and so his his son, my cousin, who is blond haired and blue eyed, but still hispanic.

There’s actually parts of Mexico with very fair haired people and anglicised names as well.

That’s the key. Hispanics are white. If you come from Mexico and you’re either blond or blue eyed or both, then you probably have predominately European blood. The indigenous people of Mexico look far different.

Hispanic is not a real racial label anyway. It’s made up. It means something like Latino-American, but it has no real ethnic background per se and was developed as part of a census (79 maybe?).

Mencia was never funny. Never, not once.

Everybody has a slightly different funny bone. I love racial jokes.

Hispanics are from Spain. Not Latin America. Though I’ve heard Spaniards refer to themselves as Latin American so I guess it’s become quite fluid.

I actually just looked this up for an unrelated reason. It’s linguistically based; it means that you are a native Spanish speaker or come from a Spanish-speaking culture.

EDIT:

Though it did originally mean this.

EDIT:

Though it did originally mean this.

Why do the people from Spain have so many names: spanish, spaniards, hispanics. It’s not fair to the rest of the ethniciities.