Microsoft announces a jump forward in time

Title Microsoft announces a jump forward in time
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When September 30, 2014

Microsoft has announced Windows 10. That's not a misprint. Your next PC operating system will not be Windows 9, the logical follow-up to Windows 8. It's Windows 10, because according to Microsoft, there were too many changes for a measly one number jump..

Read the full article

The beast is bleeding but still lumbers forward! Hurry, load the Google OS cannon and finish it off now!

Predicting Xbox One and tablets will be one platform, and desktop PCs will be 3/4ths of a platform, just like they have been for Microsoft for the last several years.

If Microsoft had learned anything from Windows 8, they would be releasing Windows 9, which would be Windows 7 with a slightly different interface and enough minor, pointless changes to the OS to qualify it as an "upgrade" (i.e. their SOP).

Instead, they're just skipping straight to the next disaster. Progress!

Microsoft is on thin ice. I know I'm not the only one that's considering Linux for my next computer after the years of mistreating PC gaming and then suddenly bludgeoning everyone with their moronic tablet interface.

Meh. Ideally Nick woulda embedded and not just linked the video that showed multiple desktops and live tiles in the redesigned start menu. The general feeling on the tech blogs I read is that they are finally tailoring the interface to the device. I'm okay with Windows 8.1 when I'm USING it, but when I have to change any configuration or install something new it goes Jekyll and Hyde swapping from one interface style to the next. If all I'm doing is browsing or launching XBMC/Steam then I never need to ever see the Metro interface.

That said, if there's a seismic shift towards SteamOS/Linux gaming then I'll be all over it. Of course I've been saying that for a decade or more.

"...which would be Windows 7 with a slightly different interface and enough
minor, pointless changes to the OS to qualify it as an "upgrade""

That's what Windows 8 is. Turn off Metro and use the desktop and it's just like Windows 7.