Microsoft buying EA?

This is not the dispute here. No one had said Sony doesn’t have its reasons for not agreeing to play together.

My issue is with @Razgon claiming MS purposefully asked Sony for cross-play knowing they would get a negative response. MS certainly has no issues with cross-play on Switch in Rocket League.

I would love Monster Hunter World to be cross-play. I don’t know what it would do for Sony, but I did buy the game on PS4.

Oh shit dudes, the buying spree has begun! Also, what’s a PlayFab?

PlayFab does backend stuff for games. I think their biggest client is Rovio with a couple of the latest Angry Birds. I know part of their deal is analytics for players’ activities and shopping patterns.

Yeah, that strikes me as a smart acquisition to make Azure more attractive for gaming servers.

Microsoft buying EA would be great news. They would bumble along for about 18 months and then Microsoft would declare that it’s just not working out, and EA isn’t producing to standards they’ve set out for Xbox consumers. Therefore, they’ll have to shut down EA.

Then there would be no more EA.

I like you.

This seems highly unlikely. The Valve thing seems more likely only from a standpoint of Microsoft controlling the storefront of the PC and whether or not Gabe is sick of gamers asking for Half-Life yet. I imagine that’s the cheaper of the two entities.

PUBG seems like a one game wonder for that company. Like Minecraft, they’d get one hopefully lucrative thing out of that transaction.

Sony made real investment in their internal studios. Nintendo did the same. SEGA before they ran out of funding too. If Microsoft really wants to turn things around, the capital needs to be spent on building staff internally over years. That’s how you get to that level. That seems prohibitive for them as a company because they’re just not that good at “fun” IMO. It’s a different culture than they have with everything else they do.

It makes more sense to buy Valve and control distribution and take a cut of purchases of PC games and rake in hat, knife skin and costume revenue while holding some tournaments yearly.

Half-life is a rounding error in the value of Valve.

That’s what I meant. You have to buy the publishing business, which is really expensive, to get Half-Life.

Although, I wonder if Gabe would sell the brand just to get everyone off his ass about Half-LIfe 3?

Hell with Half-Life, just sell Portal to somebody who could keep it going and I’ll be happy.

Why not just shove $100 bills into his ears and ignore the complainers?

Why in the world does anyone think Gabe Newell gives a shit about anyone complaining about Half-Life 3? The lack of development on it isn’t despite his wishes, it’s because of them.

And again, Gabe Newell hates Microsoft. With a passion. This is a non-starter.

If he hates Microsoft so much he should just make half-life three Mac only!

Somebody wants to sink the share price of MS and raise that of EA?

START A RUMOUR!

And the gaming news site will be happy to go along with this silliness. Talk about the very definition of fake news.

I’m betting on EA. A lot of the value of Valve is in the distribution to the consumer, and MS doesn’t need that. They do need an attractive stable of games and with EA’s latest screw up, its value probably went down.

We can only hope.

Microsoft buys EA. Forces EA to rename Origin, starts up Origin anew, and funds a new, true Ultima. Hires LB as a consultant to that project. Denis Loubet does the box and manual art.

Excuse me, I’ll be in my bunk…

EA has FIFA. Thats it really. And that license is gettable for Microsoft without buying them. Just wait till the renewal is up and outbid EA. Its cheaper.

Whatever the merits of EA I dont think an attractive stable of games is one. They have pretty much let the rest of their IP run fallow at this point. That comes across as more cutting than I intend it, I like my old colleagues at EA and wish them well but really EA from a profit perspective is the FIFA company. Thats where the vast majority of their money comes from and thus their value.

I play indie games now so I don’t follow them anymore. Don’t they have a popular game that starts with Battle?