Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

According to the article, he convinced investors to put in $700k so I suspect the goal was to have Pepsi provide a cash equivalent to a Harrier.

The problem is that the dude spent 700k buying Pepsi points. A porche isn’t worth 700k.

Well, not unless it’s one of those one-offs that will never be made again, no.

No. He sent them a check for $700,000, which was the cash value of 7,000,000 Pepsi points. Pepsi just returned his check.

I thought he got some investor folks to front him the money.

Either way, I’m not arguing that Pepsi should have actually given him the harrier.

Yeah, I think that’s right. I was responding to the word “spent”, which implies that they were out the $700k. The check they sent to Pepsi was never accepted nor cashed.

Anyway, the guy was never after a jet. He thought he found a loophole and he and his investors were trying to lever a fat settlement out of Pepsi. Sadly for them, the judge and the 2nd Circuit disagreed.

All I can think of is Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball. “Mere puff” (i.e. BS/marketing hype) isn’t considered part of the contract. 7 million points for a Harrier jet is a highly improbable deal at face value. The judge is merely explaining the improbability.

After that, well, I guess we’ll just see how much Microsoft desires to keep CoD on PlayStation.

For the record, there are a number of Microsoft Game Studio releases on the Nintendo Switch, for a potential preview of how things might adjust. Things like Ori and the Blind Forest.

Granted CoD is a different beast, one I don’t give a rats ass about, but I don’t think the naiive assumption that all Activision games would now be Xbox exclusive holds true inherently.

PlayStation owners are going to be pissed if they don’t get the 3rd and 4th Call of Duty games slated to come out in 2023.

That pretty much lines up with what I predicted. 2022 CoD on PS is a given since the deal doesn’t even finalize until 2023. And 2023’s game going on PS was inevitable since they started development of that well around now.

I like that the “third game” in that list is Warzone. Lol.

Why do you assume this? Bethesda acquisition was announced in September 2020 and closed March 2021. Why would Activision take more than a year?

If the PR said “next fiscal year” then be aware that Microsoft’s fiscal year ends in June, so July is next fiscal year.

If it happens next fiscal year, but before the end of the calendar year, it’ll probably be late in the calendar year. This is 10 times larger than Bethesda, and will probably invite a lot more scrutiny from the regulators just from a sheer size perspective. No American company has ever slapped down that much cash before to buy another company.

Yep. Ultimately I don’t think they’ll have much trouble with regulation. This isn’t Nvidia buying ARM, which powers every cellphone and is increasingly powering laptops too.

I think they said it was to be done by July 2023, but I don’t have the quote on hand. I might be mistaken.

This is the quote from their PR:

The deal is expected to close in fiscal year 2023 and will be accretive to non-GAAP earnings per share upon close.

Did PlayStation ever get cross-play with Xbox COD? If not, I betcha you’ll see it in COD 2024! :)

Hey, AOL spent more than double that for Time Warner in 2000. $186 Billion in Y2K money. And look how well that worked out!

Definitely false.

Dow Chemical and DuPont was $130 billion in 2015
United Technologies and Raytheon was $121 billion in 2019
Energy Transfer Equity and Energy Transfer Partners was $90 billion in 2018
Heinz and Kraft was $100 billion in 2016
Pfizer and Warner-Lambert was $90 billion in 2000
AT&T and Time Warner was $85 billion in 2016
Exxon and Mobil was $80 billion in 1998
and Verizon bought out Vodafone’s stake in Verizon Wireless for $130 billion in 2014.

Yeah, That’s July 2022 since June is Microsofts 2023 fiscal year.

Edit: I was slightly off, the Fiscal year runs from July 1st to June 30th but July 2022 is still in the 2023 fiscal year for Microsoft.

Were any of those deals all cash? The two I looked up were stock (Dow and DuPont) and a stock + cash deal (ATT Time Warner).