Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

You keep saying this, but that doesn’t necessarily make it so.

Right, so as @stusser notes, this is ultimately a bad deal for those of us who play traditional games on consoles and PCs.

Yes I’m aware of that and am convinced they’re lying or more likely obfuscating the truth in some way.

I doubt they’re lying, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if they’re obfuscating. That still leaves a lot of daylight between “profitability” and “immolating piles of cash.”

What is a traditional game?

Right, I assume he has a fiduciary duty to not outright lie. But is game pass profitable in the traditional sense of making more than they strictly invested in it? No way.

It’s strategically important, and they sure as hell plan to make money hand over fist with it once they completely flatten the competition. That hasn’t happened yet, so Microsoft is everybody’s friend, the gamer’s trusted companion, with our best interests at heart. But anyone believing any of that is hopelessly naive.

Just like the free games on epic, enjoy it while it lasts.

I imagine that, when it all comes down to it, we don’t really see this all that differently. I just think we define the phrase “immolating piles of cash” a little differently.

And it’s done.

Womp, womp.

Man, I really thought they could stretch it out to a round 3!

Still not sure what to think of that. I’m a fan of Game Pass and what Microsoft is trying to do to stay competitive, but I’m still not sure if buying Activision is a good move for them. Hopefully it gets them the foothold they want in mobile gaming, I guess?

As a gaming fan, I hope it means all 3 companies stay healthy in the gaming space and we keep getting lots of great games. I don’t think this huge purchase will change much in that regard, but maybe I’m wrong.

Next up…

Layoffs and Union Breaking. Have fun Activision/Blizzard employees.

I don’t think that Activision or Blizzard was very keen on unions.

Eh… I’ll concede. We’ll see what happens.

Either way, there will be layoffs.

Unions actually supported this deal.

Central to the union’s support is the landmark, legally enforceable labor neutrality agreement that Microsoft entered into with CWA in June 2022 which, if the merger is approved, would allow workers at Activision-Blizzard to freely make a choice about union representation. The agreement, CWA argues, provides an effective remedy against the increased labor market power Microsoft stands to gain – an issue FTC Chair Lina Khan has identified as important in the agency’s antitrust review of mergers and acquisitions.

“The Labor Neutrality Agreement represents a groundbreaking and speedy path for employees at Activision to choose whether to form a union without fear of intimidation or retaliation,” the amicus brief states, and reiterates the agreement’s basic provisions that will solidify countervailing power for workers.

Bobby Kotick, famous friend of the salary-man.

Not saying Microsoft is any nicer than any mega-corp, but to imply that this move is worse for unionization efforts is a bit much. All these giant corporations hate unions. If anything Microsoft has a better track record than Acti/Blizz

Layoffs will happen for sure though.

Is CoD on Gamepass yet?

MS regarding cross platform games now

Well, they talked a big talk to get this deal done. If they don’t walk the walk, there will be plenty of people to hold their feet to the fire.

Not to mention the FTC being very keen on breaking up big tech companies, they might decide to start looking into Microsoft as a whole then.