Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

Sony could release God of War: Ragnarok on Xbox too. They’re leaving money on the table!

This sentence is hilarious to me. On many different levels.

If only the United States government was willing to stand up for the cultural impact of licensed art like Pimp My Ride and Fast & Furious: Showdown. Haha!

I imagine everything currently on the platform stays. No sense removing it now.

Of course, but they will not continue making games for Playstation, other than those with preexisting contracts.

Sounds like MS will follow the same playbook as with the Beth purchase. Wishy washy vague rumors and non-committal statements until the deal is rubber stamped. Then everyone can be shocked to discover that MS didn’t cough up $70 billion to just keep things the way they are currently.

I’m sure MS will be happy for CoD to be on Playstation, as long as it’s through Gamepass. There’s no other way that this acquisition makes sense. They’re not gonna keep making the biggest franchise in the world for their direct competitor as soon as they can possibly stop it.

Dude, do you hear yourself? This is crazy pants.

There’s no such thing as having an antitrust Monopoly based on having exclusive rights to a game. Exclusive games have been a thing forever.

Trying to make an antitrust case on the basis of “they only let CoD be played on their console!” Will get you laughed out of court.

Audit, does Sony have to release all their games on the Xbox? No. If course they don’t. Stop being silly.

Says you. I shoved my Metroid Dread card into a PS5 and it worked!

It’ll be an especially poor argument when MS points out that the only thing Sony will need to do to allow their customers access to COD is allow XCloud on the built in browser.

Also. You know, the exclusive games than Sony has on the PS5.

People get mad about exclusive games when the exclusive games require them to do another thing than what they were already doing, like buy an Xbox or use a launcher. I was mad when Civilization V became a Steam exclusive! Everybody got mad when Epic copied Steam’s strategy of having exclusives! Fortunately, Civilization V sucks and Epic is good.

But it’s how business has been done in the video game industry since, well, video games existed.

Remember when there were 0 exclusives in the SNES vs. Genesis days? Those were the days, every game ever made was available on every console and PC.

Well, to be fair, you’re comparing always-exclusive titles on a platform to taking one of the biggest revenue series in the industry, that’s been on a platform since its inception, and making it exclusive to another platform. Two different things.

I think you are imagining it different, when it’s not.

The idea that if a game is not exclusive, it never could be, is being entirely invented from whole cloth.

The idea that if a game is popular, it cannot be exclusive, is likewise entirely unsupported.

There seems to be this really weird notion among some folks that Microsoft isn’t allowed to have high quality exclusive IP… Which is laughable, because they are generally the same people who previously criticized Microsoft for not having enough high quality exclusive IP.

PS5 doesn’t have a user accessible web browser.

It’s not a weird notion that Microsoft’s trying to buy large portions of the industry to make up for their failure to produce compelling exclusives themselves is being seen as unpopular and anticompetitive.

Competing is not anti competitive.

I know you you probably think that’s a clever retort, but really it’s just playing apologist on behalf of a corp working diligently to make the marketplace less competitive.

This is simply how things work.

Take, for instance, Returnal. Finnish game company Housemarque made it. They existed as an independent company, and then Sony bought them, to secure their IP moving forward.

That’s how it works, dude. That’s how it’s always worked.

If you want to play it, go buy a PS5. That’s why Sony bought them.

That is so not what happened with Housemarque man. Housemarque worked on a lot of Sony published titles, aka a 2nd party, though they did some multiplatform stuff. The studio was in an iffy state (see the Death of the Arcade thing they wrote) and contracted to do Returnal for Sony at which point Sony brought them on as an internal dev for their dev skills, it had almost nothing to do with past IP that Housemarque owned.

It’s seriously laughable you are bringing them up compared to Activision Blizzard, where the brands are arguably more important than the studios they are getting.