Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

76925B4C-28E7-440A-A2AF-116EA9F82AF3

Fantastic, now we get to start parsing the endless possibilities of what exactly ‘keep Call of Duty on PlayStation’ means.

“Our desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation”

Not

“Our commitment to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation”

The former is “we’d like to”, but the latter is “we are keeping it on the platform”

“Hey Sony, we’d like to accommodate you on this, but…”

“Just allow Game Pass on Playstation, and we’re golden”.

Microsoft doesn’t own Call of Duty yet. It’s against the law for them to behave like they do until the deal actually closes.

This is the correct acknowledgement of the correct response to the correct answer.

I came in with QfG 3 and QfG 4, but I went back and played the updated version of 1, and the free upgraded version of 2.

And they haven’t.

It will probably end up being something like the dumb free to play battle royale version of Call of Duty stays on Playstation while the normal COD is an exclusive.

I think there’s a world where the free-to-play CoD stays multiplatform since the money comes from microtransactions and there’s no reason for it to be a part of Game Pass.

I’m sorry, but King’s Quest 6 was the only good one.

They should hire one guy to write a text parser King’s Quest game. Just think of all the clickbait news articles that would generate. Totally worth it.

I’m sure there are other IPs they could do something with too, I guess.

Last I saw, COD sold more on PS4 than on Xbox. They’d make a ton of money with combined sales for both consoles. You have to imagine there are a lot of gamers that are deeply entrenched in the PS ecosystem and more loyal to the platform than they are to COD so they won’t jump ship.

I get it, exclusives are a big deal. But COD has been multi-platform forever, it will probably piss off a lot of PS owners to the point that no matter how bad they want the next COD they will just say “screw you MS”.

Everyone already says this.

No skin off my back, but I think it’s perfectly plausible they release it on PlayStation and also say, “hey, it’s free on Game Pass day one.” If half your friends already subscribe to Game Pass for other reasons, you’re going to hear a lot of “lol sorry bro!” That’s an easy way to erode brand loyalty over time without pissing anyone off.

Once again, just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s a bad business decision.

We’ve covered this many, many times in this very thread.

Hopefully there’s some way for those Playstation CoD players to organize their boycott in a program that allows us to see how many of them are playing CoD on Xbox when it comes out in 2024. It’ll be all of them.

It’s also possible since COD is such a huge game that Sony had a multi year deal already setup for the COD franchise so MS has no choice but to keep it mult-plat for a number of years.

Sure. Anything is possible.

Once again? I think that was my first comment on the topic.

And it’s not that I don’t like it - last COD game I played was on the PSOne, when it was a single player game. Not really a fan of FPS games, much less competitive ones (I suck at them), so makes no difference to me either way. I’m just wondering why most don’t think that would be a viable course.