Microsoft buys Zenimax/Bethesda

My feeling is Microsoft will push Zenimax to develop multiple franchises simultaneously. It’s insane that there hasn’t been an Elder Scrolls game since 2011. They’ll have a Fallout dev team, an Elder Scrolls team, a new franchises team, etc.

That’s a power move. DOOM, Elder Scrolls, Dishonored, Quake, and Fallout all Microsoft exclusives in the future. I can’t imagine many gamers wanting to skip those franchises.

The thought that InXile, Obsidian and Bethesda are now all MS studios means I’m going to haver a lot of RPGs to play on GamePass. Nice!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that’s boxy but sexy xXx

I suppose if somebody has to buy them better Microsoft than Sony because at least we still get PC versions. Still, I have a certain level of nervousness around how Microsoft handles their game studios.

I’m not sure my post was supposed to be sorted to the Zenimax thread?

That’s my reaction too. It would have been a disaster for PC gaming if Sony bought them.

Now this post is a Zenimax one - maybe I’ll actually play Fallout 4 or Doom at some point if they’re on Gamepass. Those sorts of games are out of my wheelhouse now.

Is there much work to do to put an existing title on Gamepass? Or could the back catlog just show up en bloc if they wanted it to?

What will it mean for Elder Scrolls mods?

It’s trivial, they could just show up one day.

Microsoft now owns all these companies - and their games will be on Game Pass going forward:

• id Software (developer of the Doom, Quake and Rage series)
  • Arkane Studios (developer of Dishonored and Prey)
  • MachineGames (developer of the Wolfenstein series)
  • Tango Gameworks (developer of The Evil Within)
  • Bethesda Game Studios (developer of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series)
  • ZeniMax Online Studios (developer of The Elder Scrolls Online)

It’s pretty much just a flag that makes the game free for GamePass users in the shop and lists it in the GP section.

Wolfenstein, Doom and Rage seem to be semi alive. Where’s Quake these days? I predict an announcement :)

I also predict a new version of Skyrim.

If the single player ES 5 comes out as PC / Xbox only…

The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games never clicked with me (due to shitty gameplay), but I recognize the appeal to their huge audiences. This is a great move by MS.

I hope their Elder Scrolls in Space game comes out soon! As an Xbox Exclusive!

ES5 was Skyrim, so that boat sailed, but yes, ES6 will certainly be PC / Xbox only.

So, what Phil said about focusing on PC games and games in general this time around, was NOT bullshit like it has been for quite a few years.

I must admit, I am kinda shocked! Thats a big move! And what about Todd Howard? Where is hE?!

Wow. Absolute boss move and statement of intent.

Seems to me Sony just lost a battle they didn’t even know they were fighting.

Wonder Woman is a very rich woman now.