Microsoft E3 rumors

Because “Stinkles” is an authority?

NeoGAF links: the new Godwin?

He works for Bungie so he certainly knows if at least one of those rumors is correct.

That’s quite the forum moniker…
So, yeah he can debunk the Bungie stuff then, but the rest? Also, it’s not always safe to assume that the grunts at a gaming company know everything. Hell, we didn’t find out about new projects until they were already chosen quite often.

I’ll take that bet! Ed Fries is working on it. When the announcement is made I’ll PM you with my PayPal account so you can go ahead and send me your life savings.

The bungie thing is legit too, for reasons I can’t get into.

Never, ever bet your life savings.

We’re talking about microsoft rumors here ;) Ed hasn’t been involved with Microsoft for a while as far as I know.

• New Crimson Skies game to be announced.

Nope. MS’ first-party strategy is to publish only what they consider sure-fire smashes (this clearly doesn’t include it’s "we’re just putting these out in the US games like Fusion Frenzy, N3, KUF, etc.). Hence, no more Crimson Skies or MechAssault games. MS WILL, however, license these franchises out, so if someone else wants to do a Crimson Skies game…

• Bungie working on new title/series not related to anything in the Halo/Marathon Universe.

Nope.

• Epic Games to show some gorm of Gears of War 2 Trailer.

Yup. I bet they open with Halo 3, close with Gears 2. MS has stated that they want to have the two franchises alternate years, meaning Gears 2 in 2008.

• Microsoft have bought the Star Wars Battlefront 3 rights. Trailer/Demo to be shown.

Maybe.

• Rare to show off Banjo Kazooie 3 (Banjo-Theerie).

Probably.

• Rare to announce 2 new games.

Could happen, but doubt it.

• Rare to announce Kameo 2.

I could see it.

• Lionhead Studios show more of Fable 2.

Definitely.

• Microsoft to fund a new game based on Jason Bourne. It’ll be based on the books and not the film with Matt Damon.

Incorrect, as has been stated earlier in the thread. Unless MS bought the license away from Vivendi…

• Team Ninja to show off Ninja Gaiden 2. Labeled 360 Exclusive.

Likely.

• Apparently there’s news of a MGS Game for the 360. May or may not be the 4th Installment.

Actually, I do think we’ll see an announcement regarding a Kojima game for the 360, but I think it’ll be a new IP, not an MGS game. Although I am convinced MGS4 IS coming to the 360 eventually.

• Dead Rising 2 to be shown. May not be ready.

I bet we’ll get at least a teaser.

Oni 2!

I suspect that Bungie’s next game will not be Halo-related. They have to be pretty tired of making Halo games at this point, and they’ve made it pretty clear that Halo 3 is the last game in the series, at least as far as the Master Chief storyline is concerned. So I’d be surprised if their next project is a new Halo title. I’d also be pretty surprised if they announced their next project this early, though.

You are one of the great grammar hero’s!

One of the great grammar hero’s what?

QFT. Also: yes, please.

please

Okay, I don’t think I’m violating any NDAs* by stating that so much of that post is total shite that reaching in to find the one or two tidbits that even slightly, vaguely resemble anything factual will result in your arm being completely covered in the stinky stuff.

• Because, you-know-who-you-are, I am not supposed to speak for MS on message boards. And I’m not officially debunkin’ nothing. Just telling some friends that post is some fanboy’s idea of what he wants to see at E3.

Extremely likely

• Rare to show off Banjo Kazooie 3 (have to follow-up the brief trailer)
  • Lionhead Studios show more of Fable 2. (yes)

Likely

• Bungie working on new title/series not related to anything in the Halo/Marathon Universe. (they’ve wanted to do something besides Halo for a while now)
  • Epic Games to show some gorm of Gears of War 2 Trailer (brief trailer clearly labeled for 2008 to avoid stealing Halo’s thunder)
  • Team Ninja to show off Ninja Gaiden 2. Labeled 360 Exclusive. (Team Ninja is really into the PS3, but they have jumped ship before)
  • Dead Rising 2 to be shown. May not be ready. (previous game sold very well, Capcom is sequel friendly)

Unlikely

• New Crimson Skies game to be announced. (first game flopped)
  • Microsoft have bought the Star Wars Battlefront 3 rights. Trailer/Demo to be shown. (LucasArts)
  • Rare to announce 2 new games (I think Microsoft has learned that it’s best to let Rare take its time developing one game)
  • Rare to announce Kameo 2 (see above, also I don’t think sales were very high)
  • Microsoft to fund a new game based on Jason Bourne. It’ll be based on the books and not the film with Matt Damon. (come on)
  • Apparently there’s news of a MGS Game for the 360. May or may not be the 4th Installment (not yet, although this would be HUGE news)

I really think Gears of War for 2008 is a longshot. It seems most AAA game devs are on a 3+ year cycle.

I hope I’m wrong!

As an aside, Take 2 owns the Myth and Oni properties now, not Bungie/Microsoft.

Why did Bungie divest them?

Take Two owned an equity interest in Bungie when they became part of Microsoft. As part of the deal, Take 2 sold that interest to Microsoft, and in exchange retained the rights to Myth and Oni (and also got a deal on licensing the Halo tech, I think).

Of course, none of that means that a Bungie Myth game is totally out of the picture. They’d just have to pay Take 2 for the license (or offer them some sort of royalties deal). Which Take 2 might very well do, since they A) aren’t using it, and B) could use the money.

That would be why they released Viva Pinata under Rare, and are gonna make a Banjo-Kazooie game? Yea fits right into that ‘sure-fire’ only logic…