Microsoft Edge (Now Built on Chromium)

MS is throwing in the towel on EdgeHTML. This new Edge will also be built for Windows 7 and 8, as well as macOS.

Well, this should make life a bit easier for web devs. And maybe make some people actually use Edge…
Of course, what makes or breaks browsers for pro use is the plugin infrastructure. And I don’t see how Edge could even get close to Chrome or Firefox here.

Man, I was just starting to like edge.

Windows Phone - not enough apps
Microsoft Edge - not enough plugins
Microsoft Windows - ???

Where are they going to go next?

Michael Tsai - Blog - Google Intentionally Favoring Chrome, Hurting Edge?

Some interesting snippets of people talking about Google and Edge.

First publicly-available preview build

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/

Anyone else using the Insider build? It’s gotten pretty good pretty fast. Extensions are now available, and I’m using it now as my daily browser. Just as fast as Chrome, but without the Google-be-Evil scariness.

I was under the impression (because of some reddit thread) that Chromium is still just as bad as Chrome for the most part. Is that not true? Sorry, I don’t remember why exactly, other than Google still has some control over it and tracking info.

I should probably try Brave, regardless.

Why would you even assume that Microsoft was any less “evil” than Google?

Because Microsoft’s business model isn’t built on selling your data.

Yeah, I’m sure they treat your data with full respect and won’t gain any advantage out of it… it’s not like they’d spy on all your activities while just using their OS or anything.

Joking aside, all large corporations will use your data in whatever way that earns them the most profit/advantage. If you really think one of them is any less profit orientied than another, you are fooling yourself.
Both companies collect as much data as possible, and both will use them in ways you probably don’t want to think about too long.

If you really want to be on the safe side, you kinda have to use one of the more “niche” browsers, as was suggested before.

Sure, but we’re talking about the least evil. They all sell your data, but I trust MS a lot more than Google. I mean MS sells software and hardware. Google makes thing just to harvest your data. About the only company I trust less is Facebook.

Google sells ads. MS sells a flaky operating system and some decent hardware.

Flaky is an odd choice considering how most of the most of the world’s computing seems to have Windows involved at some part of the process.

It’s hardly the greatest thing since sliced bread, but just considering the breath and width of Microsoft and Windows, it gives you pause.

So, no, I don’t think flaky is a good way to describe it. It might not fit your use case, but maybe you are the outlier on this issue.

That’s just flat out wrong.
Most computing is done on Linux-based operating systems, since most computing is done on servers and most servers run Linux. Hell, thanks to containerization (Docker), even the small Windows-part here is increasingly done on Linux…

But even when you take frontends, Windows has a much smaller share than 50% (falling).
Only when you take the pure desktop & laptop usage does Windows have an 85% share (falling).
And only when you look exlusively at games is that share over 90% (surprisingly stable… for now).

Windows isn’t shit, but it certainly isn’t great, either. Flaky seems fine.

Is it? When you look at any non tech business that uses computers for day to day work, what do they use? It’s almost always a Windows machine. I use a Windows machine for running calculations for 401(k) plans. I have friends that use Windows machines for running statistical and banking software. Financial advisors are all using Windows machines (and maybe a few Macs). Hell, even production companies that make videos have shifted at least some of their production to Windows Machines.

Sure, Linux is used on the back end for a lot of things (servers and the like which doesn’t actually require someone to actually use it), and programmers are drawn to for their special needs (as do artists) but for actual work, reports, emails or day to day emails, people are using Windows Machines.

I guess, if you consider an Android phone a computer (some might, but I feel that it’s a flawed definition, since the use case is different) you could see a lot of people turning to that instead, but I have my doubts.

Now, I know some people are a fan of Linux on desktop, but its still relatively niche to say the least. Heck not even Epic wastes their time providing services on Linuxs and developers have complained on this forum that Linux is an expansive platform to support, and no real return on investment.

So, I am going to say it again. Consider the breath and width of what a Windows Computer is asked to do, I think Flaky is an unfair term.

I like Windows 7. But Windows 10 has had serious issues compared to other Windows versions going back many years. Right now it’s flaky. I don’t see that improving any time soon.

The reason for Windows’ continued success are due to:

1. Windows benefits from massive amounts of inertia dating back decades (and is often distributed for free)
  2. Linux is an even bigger PITA even when it’s working properly
  3. Chrome OS is for dumb Internet terminals, basically
  4. Apple has priced itself out of the market and therefore doesn’t have to deal with all the unwashed rabble
  5. Operating systems are not based upon open standards like HTML or whatever, so you (or developers) cannot just switch easily and painlessly like you can with Web browsers

Again, you use the word flaky, but you don’t really expound upon it and I don’t have any personal experience with Windows 10 being anything but incredibly stable and solid.

Mainly I’m referencing all the broken and delayed updates to the OS that are fubar’ing people’s installations. I’m sure the kernel or whatever is fine.