Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Sadly, from years and several beefy laptops my end experience is that, even though it’s a top-line GPU you use, your laptops power will always be a far cry from what you can get in a stationary and the GPU’s there. in 3DMark for instance, my 2070 RTX laptop is barely above 4000, where my new PC with a RTX2070SUPER is ca twice that, around 8000.

This is a pretty good overview of how to get from what’s shown on the traditional instruments to the equivalent on the G1000.

Another good one I think may have been linked before. This one is in game using the C172.

A sim is most popular title released for Gamepass on PC.

Today has been a good day. Armed with 3 different videos on the Garmin, I decided I would train on some newfangled GPS navigation and use of hands free flying. Up until this point I have been all manual control (though with some slight time scaling on longer flights.) This is a real pain, especially so as I’m increasing the length of my flights I need the basics of autopilot at a minimum.

I started today with clear skies in the Baron. One nice thing about autopilot is it allows more use of the camera views to sight see along the way.

Extreme rivet counter mode:

Just me and the copilot talking about the view. Wait … there’s a copilot? Maybe it’s a hispanic man named Jesus and this is where he takes the wheel:

Look, ma! No hands!!

Afternoon clear skies slowly morph to early evening and scattered low clouds:

And a creepy shot from some drone looking in the windows. If you look real close you can see me not paying attention and overshooting the airport, below.

I took this timelapse today flying across Quebec at 26,000’

Forgot about the mouse cursor, I see

The 3rd party Carenado (Cessna) CT182T Skylane on its maiden flight. It’s a bump up from the 172 Skyhawk, giving another 550lb weight capacity, more range, a higher ceiling and more horsepower. A bit better in every single way over the 172 and more akin to a, “true 4-seater,” for the heavier modern American flyers. Carenado seems to have modeled it quite well, it has a somewhat modified glass cockpit from the 172, a bit more modern and a few extra features. Advantages: this thing can take off very quickly and zip along quite a bit faster than the more sluggish 172. It climbs well and seemed to handle very well, too. Disadvantages: It seems LOUDER both inside and outside than the 172 in-game model. I think this may have to do with Cerenado providing sounds as part of the add-on? Not sure though. It may be configurable. Overall, the model is so close to the 172 in a lot of ways, unless you want it for the factor of matching something you fly in RL or love, or your looking at using it for an add-on use, you could probably wait this out until it’s a bit cheaper. It’s the first on the market, thus it can command a premium price.

Ready for takeoff:

Slightly newer Avionics:

Cramped but nicer inside:

Nice color scheme and detail:

Good visibility in cockpit on approach:

Lol. True. I’m such an amateur :P

Yeah, I bought the Carenado C182 first day. You can adjust the various volumes in the sim separately – I killed the music. :)

Nice plane, but the view bug (POV View Right shows the left view) is really annoying. They said it’ll be fixed in the update, but no update yet on the in-game store.

Here’s the very northern tip of Chesapeake Bay

Holy cow. Glad you told me that. I didn’t happen to use that within flight. I did notice so initial yo-yo pathing when I was first lining up the AP to a GPS signal in flight. That may just have been how I was position and the very light bumpy flight I was having.

To be honest I picked it up for a couple of reasons. I have a buddy that owns one and I kind of wanted to mimic the experience with it in-game. I also noticed on the meta FSEconomy game that a decked out 182 is going for the same price as a 172, so with true capability for 3 passengers and a little more cargo, it’s dollar for dollar a better deal. (edit: check that, it looks like some entepreneurs are selling the decked out 172 versions (IFR/AP/GPS) for lower rates now, around 195k and up.)

Do you buy these directly in game?

9/3 developer update

tldr: there is a second patch which is in final testing. They will provide additional information including patch notes and release date in next week’s developer update.

Here’s their top priorities and wishlist. More detailed list of problems they are working on is in the developer update.

Here’s a nice municipal runway in Carolina Beach, NC. Imagine having planes landing in your backyard.

I flew an approach entirely by autopilot in the Cayman Islands. 15 kt crosswind (which is impossible in most of North America given the 225/3 bug.) The AP put the plane down precisely in the middle of the runway, using the wind to push it onto centerline just at touchdown. But when I say the middle of the runway, I also mean the middle of the length of the runway too. Luckily the TBM has a short stopping distance.

We have a place like that right by here in Chandler called Stellar Airpark. A few of the houses over there have hangars.

Yes sir. Under the Marketplace tab on the main screen, then if you don’t see it on the highlighted specials content, select, “Official Content,” tab.

I’ve yet to do this. I tired a few times this afternoon and just fell back into standard landings, which I need more practice at anyway. It just never, “kicked in,” when I chose it.

That airstrip is quite cool. Carolina Beach is so small it makes me wonder where it’s at there? I’ve been flying nearby there in Wilmington, KILM. There are some awesome views up and down the Eastern coastline. I should fly down into the Caribbean

Also a beautiful praise video:

4/5 from the Daily Star, the last bastion of games journalism.

We can laugh at a few of the ratings. They deserve the praise though. This is an amazing experience of a game. The number of, “wow,” moments is pretty high.

I’m thinking about taking the plunge – debating about GamePass, too. A few questions for you guys:

1. I don’t expect the entire world to be in wonderful detail. But are there parts of the world that have gotten more attention? I used to fly on “PilotEdge,” a network in which you have to talk to human air traffic controllers, and it was confined to the US southwest. It would be nice to have just that area in higher detail. But I’d settle for a highly-detailed Seattle area, say.
  1. Are the iPhone head-tracking apps better than TrackIR? I have TrackIR but I get annoyed having to wear a hit with the sensor, and sometimes the tracking is wonky. Do the iPhone apps work if the room is a bit dark? My screen still illuminates my face, so I would hope it works.

2. I have a ProFlight Yoke system that I haven’t used for a couple years. I used to fly with it using XPlane. Any idea whether it will work well with MSFS? I imagine there are much better yokes by now?

Thanks in advance!