Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

I’ve also still got the occasional VS level change runaway knob, as it just happened a bit ago.

It’s certainly better, but not quite there just yet.

Giant Bomb took the release version to the Grand Canyon

Is there a mod to make planes break apart or explode on impact?

And a new Alaskan bush trip, sweet!

Glad to see the south west getting an update; the Glen Canyon Dam was just a wall of water when I was there last week, and the whole area was pretty subpar.

Less with the questions and more, what have you been doing in the game since you installed it? ;)

They put St Martin in :D

And the US tour has replaced the Japan tour; I guess the idea is to do them before they roll off again :(

Pretty much since the time of 9/11, a lot of civvy sims have slowly removed this as a feature. Combat sims still emulate things like that. The responses you get will be along the lines of, “this is a flight simulator, not a crash simulator.”

Further, a lot of aircraft manufacturers don’t want that as an image within a game, like an A320 blowing up in a huge fireball … you get the gist, right?

Into Bolivia and Peru today.

Andes are higher this far north, 23,000 ft here and barely clearing them. Also, dry as a bone on the rain shadow side.

The worlds largest salt flat, at 12,000 feet

La Paz is a crazy city, very disorienting to try and land at the airport which is visible on the plateau above the city, which is in a canyon…

This place, on the shores of Lake Poopo, 12,000ft above sea level, has been identified as the site of Atlantis by one of those crank 70s writers:

Back across the Andes and some of the tributaries of the Amazon.

Great pics man, love the livery too. This pic though, wow, look at how the city expanded around that mountain. Crazy stuff.

Yeah, I can confirm from my game journalism days, the reason you don’t get a big boom when the planes crash is that the airplane manufacturers don’t want sophisticated simulations of their products turning into twisted, burning metal.

This was even an issue for racing sims early on, once PCs and consoles got powerful enough to simulate visual card damage and big wrecks.

If you want to experience the sheer joy of crashing a broken plane in such a way that you might limp away from the ordeal, Il-2 Battle of XXX are what you’re looking for. This (series of) game has not only about the finest, slickest VR of any of the flight games, it also has superb damage and crash modelling, far beyond any of the others.

La Paz looks wicked. Man I am going to enjoy zipping around places like that once VR is patched into this sim.

Does VR allow you to switch to external view, and is that not absolutely terrifying?

It does in in Il-2 and DCS and yes it is the first few times you do it. Vertigo baby!

That’s one if my greatest hopes with VR. That it causes me massive vertigo.

If you go flying, either terrestrial or in space, vertigo is to be expected. But you’ll get used to it. Getting your sealegs so to speak. But it still is a roller coaster thrill ride zipping along a ridgeline in an F-16 with it’s clear bubble canopy. That plane ends just a little above your waist, visually. So good!

The canopy is why I will be getting this for MSFS as soon as I buy that sim:
https://youtu.be/kCoh_RZgX9w

Darn was finally going to play as I’d set aside time tonight and have a bunch more to download.

I have a question. Is there some kind of super package deal for landmarks and scenery that include EVERYTHING that’s official so you don’t get gauged on price having to buy each thing individually? I had no idea so much was not included, especially since I bought the most expensive version of the game. Gah.

Wait… are those all 3rd party sellers? I’m confused (obviously lol)

How do I add all of you as friends? Any auto-add feature? Maybe it would be easier if you added me?
Here I am LOL

So far, apart from the deluxe and super deluxe editions, or whatever they’re called, all the official stuff is free.

Yeah, the stuff that costs money is third-party. The first-party add-ons (Japan and USA, so far) are free. There’s also an Aerosoft airport that’s free.

Check out flightsim.to for a ton of free add-on stuff of varying quality. (It pays to read the descriptions and comments before downloading/installing.) My favorites so far are some really detailed Alaska airports.

You could check out this rural Washington state airport a couple of miles from my house that some Denny guy built and uploaded. :) It’s a short, challenging runway for STOL planes.

Can any scenery add-ons from there mess up the game?

…and hey! I still don’t have any friends! :(

booooo!

Yeah, lazily done scenery (such as ripped Google scenery) can hurt frame rates or cause problems. I mostly stick with either custom airports or stuff where the description indicates the author knows what they’re doing.

In worst-case scenarios, everything is in its own individual folder that you copy to the Community folder, so if you find something with bad performance or other issues, just delete the folder. Just add things one-by-one instead of dropping in 20 new add-ones at once. :)

Sorry for a host of stupid questions…

My old Thrustmaster PC/PS3 T.Flight isn’t showing any default settings at all? Am I going to have to program every single thing myself? Am I missing something?

Also the mission and career thing many of you are doing? How do I get into that?