Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Just something neat I stumbled upon

I hate that updates wonā€™t download in the background like EVERY OTHER STEAM GAME! Sitting here waiting to download 9.5 GB because I want to practice some touch n goes is NO FUN.

I canā€™t wait for there to be a nice Trimotor for MSFS. Do some real vintage flights then.

It annoys me as well. Having to boot into the game which is very resource heavy, then wait ā€¦ and wait ā€¦ etc.

Yeah, I really donā€™t understand why some of the patches are so big. If you do a binary diff against the updates, theyā€™re usually a good bit smaller than what you end up downloading. It probably could do with some improvement for the benefit of user experience.

Because patching takes forever on my PC I had a little look into it, and concluded that the patches are broken up into files that are, for christ knows what reason, downloaded into RAM first before being written to disk. And if that process is interrupted for whatever reason, the download has to start again.

And yes, the process is interrupted frequently, and I have no idea why. Steam can max out my bandwidth without issue, but the MSFS download not only uses no more than half of my bandwidth, but cuts out regularly.

The only solution I have found is to use a third party tool to throttle the already slow download. Thus a 9GB patch is going to take all day to download despite the fact that I have 80Mb/s for literally everything else.

I dread patch day.

Well look at that. Comparing your images to my experience I discovered I didnā€™t have the photogrammetry packs downloaded. Much better now :)

I am seeing announcements that the WorkingTitle team has gotten hired by Asobo as full time developers. Congrats @schurem ! Im using your G1000 mod and itā€™s a definite improvement.

Hopefully this will prompt them to make some actual improvements to the engine and Sim rather than FSX liveries and contrails. The most recent update seems to have made performance much worse, once I could get it working at all.

huh? wha? I never made no mod, mate.

I think thatā€™s props to @kaosfere , right?

Yep, congrats, @kaosfere! Can you share anything about the new relationship?

Thanks, yā€™all! Iā€™m so fricken excited, this has been a long time coming and itā€™s been hard keeping a lid on something youā€™re stoked about for so long. :D

The short version is that Working Title is now Working Title Simulations LLC. The core founders (5 of us) are leaving our jobs to work on this venture full time. We have a contract with Microsoft to do work on the sim that can benefit from our strengths. (I canā€™t talk roadmaps at this point, but I can say that we and MS are in agreement on the sorts of areas that can most benefit, and itā€™s the things weā€™ve already been doing.)

We expected a lot of questions about this, so we prepared an announcement document as well as a FAQ with what we figured would be the most useful information. Iā€™m happy to answer any questions not covered there that Iā€™m allowed to. :)

Awesome things are coming.

That is SO cool, @kaosfere! And what a smart move by the MSFS team. Congrats again.

Congrats, @kaosfere !

Great to see and sends a good message about the long term health of the sim.

Hope the job to job transition isnā€™t too stressful, good luck!

Hey, a HUGE CONGRATS to you and the rest of the WT team. Well deserved and Iā€™m sure we have some great stuff on the way based on everything youā€™ve done already. Seriously man, well deserved to all of you.

Wow thatā€™s incredible! So happy for you :)

Welcome to the big time, @kaosfere !

Now make me a sandwich!

Itā€™s sudo make me a sandwich.

sudo apt-get install sandwich

So does your stuff get officially integrated soon without the need for the mod?