Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Not to downplay that great news, I have to say the thing I was most excited about from the Q&A was the acknowledgement of the lack of time acceleration display. Hopefully it will find its way into the next sim update.

Very nice, Kaosfere!

Edit: Iā€™ve fallen back into my old ways very quickly in FSEconomy. I went and bought three 2-lotters in the foothills of the Himalayas todayā€¦and borrowed 150K from the group fund to do it - will pay that back asap guys.

At the moment they all point to Delhi, which is fine. There was a Citation parked up at one of them, but Iā€™d say itā€™s in demand for rental so I canā€™t rely on that. I guess another people carrier will be called for.

It was a pleasant surprise flying the CJ4; very different instruments. I havenā€™t remapped the screenshot camera controls yet :P

If this forum had Likes I wouldnā€™t have to post just to say ā€œFor the love of Tom, me too!ā€

PS I also stocked up the S.A. network on FSE so there are supplies for 2+ months

Iā€™m popping back in after a break as well and want to congratulate @IkeVandergraaf on his solo. Thatā€™s a defining moment! I put in about 20 hours after my solo before I faded out. I was in high school though and the challenges of being dedicated to something at that age were harder on me. Keep at it. If you donā€™t mind me asking, how much tech are you using in your rentals? Do any have the full Garmin suites we see in game or are you standard gauges with not much in the way of GPS, etc?

@Pedro I have the same throttle and flight stick combo and love it. Things I did were disable the trottle on the flight stick, as I bumped it a lot and itā€™s not really needed with a separate throttle. To get over the accidental trim knob bumping, I pushed the throttle further left of me on my table, far enough that when I move my hand to it, my pinky doesnā€™t normally touch the knob. Still, having the gear up/down switch nearby means you occasionally run your finger close to the knob. It is very twitchy, but I do still use it in game, especially after using the master on/off for autopilot, which tends to leave trim setting as they were when on autopilot.

Also glad to see you keeping up the group supplies. As my time with Subnautica winds down Iā€™ll be dipping back in to MSFS. I really need to uninstall all my mods and switch over to a mod manager at this point.

The stick and throttle have really given me a new lease of life - well, that and two weeks away from the sim. Iā€™m really enjoying the effect they are having - you have so much extra control itā€™s unreal.

Thatā€™s an idea about the trim wheel :P I havenā€™t missed it so far, as you say, autopilot cures a lot of ills, but when I start back in the vfr planes, it would be nice to have it. Good idea on the stick throttle; it hasnā€™t caused me any issues so far but Iā€™m not using it so disabling is good.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll come back refreshed in time!

I bought the Beech 99 in a sale a while back for 8.99 and just got to try it out. It is a bit basic! But you get on to it, same as everything :)

I noticed there was a major update to the Salty 747 a few weeks ago so Iā€™m trying it out now. Not bad so far! There are a few little issues, like no lights on the fuel pumps, little things like that. But the main problem with the 747 was it was always unflyable, largely due to autopilot issues, even with the mod. Itā€™s working fine right now though. Iā€™m approaching Charles de Gaulles now so will report back when Iā€™ve landed. :)

Edit: Nose went slightly crazy on touchdown, hard to tell if itā€™s because I havenā€™t flown a Boeing in nearly a year or just the game, but Iā€™ll take it in the circumstances. Nice to be back in my beloved 747!

Picked up the JustFlight Turbo Arrow III/IV, as I had the FSX/P3D version and they offered a nice discount. I have the Carenado Arrow, and itā€™s interesting contrasting them. Carenadoā€™s looks better (way better inside), but JFā€™s flight model and systems are definitely better.

Turbo Arrow III:

Turbo Arrow IV:

Very nice, Denny! That monitor of yours is a monster.

I also bought the Turbo Arrow - it was only 11 bucks for me having bought the previous version + points. God help me, I think I might buy Air Hauler 2 today, so I should have held off for more discount points.

I played this right at the start for a couple of hours, donated, and never went back to it. I should check it out to see what has changed, but the missions werenā€™t really doing it for me.

Hah, this seems like fun. You start Career Mode in a C172 and for each aircraft you have to get a cert. to fly that plane. Instructions pop up on screenā€¦

Squeaky bum time:

Youā€™re graded on the following:

Now to start my career. A minor inconvenience is that you have to manually set up your fuel load and cargo weight in MSFS:

Yeah, for some reason you have to do manual cargo load in NeoFly too, though it does do the fuel for you.

Any more specific Xbox date other than Q2/Q3 2021? Iā€™ve been waiting oh so patiently for this to finally come to the console so I can play it on my XSX. I tried it on my (cough seven year old) PC when it released last September since it was free through Game Pass and, well, yeah, it was beautiful but ran at about 60 seconds a frame. Not ideal to say the least!

I donā€™t think cargo management is currently handled by SimConnect.

Itā€™s probably unhelpful to just say ā€œsoonā€, butā€¦ itā€™s getting close. :)

Just Flightā€™s Turbo Arrow came out yesterday, and it was 66% off for folks who had the vanilla one. That plus some JF discount points got it for me for about $13. Broke her in over Morocco today.

Ooooh ā€œgetting closeā€ is great news, thanks! I know it wonā€™t be as glorious as a top-end PC but Iā€™m hoping the XSX version is decent and playable and has real-time weather and hopefully the marketplace.

It will have real time weather and the marketplace ā€“ features should be pretty much on par with the PC version. Performancewise, the PC is also going to benefit from a lot of the work theyā€™ve been putting into optimization for the XBox. So itā€™s win-win there.

Thatā€™s awesome, really looking forward to it. Thanks for the information.

FSEconomy manages to do it, at least for FSE purposes. I think it does it in sim too though Iā€™d have to check

Interesting. Let me know either way when you verify it, Iā€™m interested in the results. :)

@IkeVandergraaf Major grats on your solo! Your posts about it were among the coolest things Iā€™ve ever read here at Qt3. I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

Iā€™ve never flown a real aircraft, but I have experienced mic fright, because I flew on PilotEdge for a few months a while back. Even in a flight sim, my hands would get sweaty as I rehearsed talking to the controller, and Iā€™d write nervously trying to copy down my instructions to read back correctly. I canā€™t imagine doing that while piloting a real plane. Simulating is as close as Iā€™ll ever get.