Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Dear lord.

I have two premature concerns for this one:

• It will make you stream terrain data as you fly like Google Earth VR, which will make it unusable for me unfortunately (broadband not fast enough for the eye candy).
  • It will not feature VR.

They have 2 freaking petabytes of world data!!!

Iā€™m going to need a few more hard drivesā€¦

Has that been stated? Because that would be a decision about as stupid as killing off the franchise to begin with.

Iā€™ve gottaā€™ imagine it is probably going to be streaming. I canā€™t see how theyā€™ll deliver that level of detail otherwise. Perhaps itā€™ll have an option to download and cache regions? But, even then, folks with bandwith limits or paid bandwidth are out of luck.

Itā€™s hasnā€™t been stated either way. I think @Tim_N was expressing it as a concern. And, yeah, no VR would make it a tough sell for me no matter how beautiful it looks. but I also have concerns with delivering that level of detail at 90+fps and high res. Hereā€™s hoping!

I think this be the perfect application for vr. People might not want to tool around in DCS, but relaxing in a a cessna or something in MSFS could be a lot more appealing. So I hope they provide vr support. It would be a tough sell for me, but Iā€™d probably cave in the end and break out the track ir if I have to.

OMG OMG OMG. I am so damn geeked! So big question, which VR set are they going to design the game around?

Whatever one we donā€™t buy. Judging by my track record.

Sorry no it hasnā€™t, as @BiggerBoat said Iā€™m just being pessimistic that this might not happen.

Isnā€™t MS working on their own VR project?

What hardware do you need for VR in a flight sim? Iā€™m just sort of curious.

I mean, is that the thing where you have to put a dot on your forehead or something? You can tell I havenā€™t done much in the flight sim VR space, but I remember seeing pictures of something to help you use your head naturally in a flight sim.

Youā€™re thinking of head tracking or eye tracking. VR is the whole helmet over the head and eyes thing.

Okay, so a helmet? So you need a joystick and pedals. Some guys get a throttle thing too. So now you need all of that stuff, plus a helmet? Wow, thatā€™s a lot of stuff.

To clarify, the helmet isnā€™t any different than what you use to play any Windows VR game and you could get by with just a joystick. Many joysticks offer twist for rudder instead of pedals and a little slider that can be used for throttle.

Beauty of the genre is that it does offer all sorts of hardware expansion to increase immersion, but I wouldnā€™t consider all that required for the casual simmer.

Maybe goggles is a better word than helmet when describing a vr headset.

I imagine a masochist could fly with just keyboard and mouse, but at the very least Iā€™d say a joystick is needed. From there head tracking with something like track ir is another leap, and then the best experience would be with vr. Since track ir would already be setting someone back $100 or so (not sure what it costs these days) I would just sink that money into a vr headset, because the jump from head tracking with track ir to the immersion with vr is even greater than the jump to having head tracking was.

Yeah, thatā€™s kind of where I was going with it, so thank you (and everyone, really) for this analysis. Itā€™s not so much the number of widgets available, but itā€™s the most bang for your buck. Iā€™ve had the whole HOSAT set up, but it was kind of a PIA to program all that shit for different games, so I mostly had certain things mapped, and just used pause a lot. I donā€™t mind that so much, but I have always had the most difficulty just keeping my situational awareness up. I think a VR set might be just the ticket. Of course, I would rather spend my time doing carrier landings or air to ground type attacks than just flying around, but to each his own I guess.

I can wholeheartedly recommend VR for flight sims. It is a wonderful experience and practically redefines the genre. There are many of us who pretty much wrote sims off until the Oculus came out, and now are head over heals. Count me in that group. I freaking love screaming down for a rocket attack in DCS. The sense of height and speed and distance is just so realistic, and yes, being able to see around you is natural.

Just flying around doing acrobatics or practicing crazy stunts like staying 10 feet off the ground at hundreds of MPH and flying under bridges or between high-rises is a blast. This sim looks to scratch that itch nicely.

I am definitely more into the combat aspect, but certainly a place for this game. Also, perhaps we see a MSCFS announcement if this does well?

Yup.

Sometimes I donā€™t fire rockets, drop bombs or loose missiles, sometimes I just look at those weird mountains in southwest Iran and think ā€œwhat an interesting landscapeā€ for an hour or so. This sim looks perfect for that.

Other times I just want to operate a complicated machine to itā€™s maximum murderous potential and thatā€™s what DCS is for. (and carrier landings!)

And sometimes I wish to whirl around in something with a (more or less) powerful piston engine driving a beautifully crafted piece of wood and machine gun naziā€™s until the wings come off their planes and thatā€™s what Il-2 BoX is for.

There are people decrying the lack of game in the above experiences. Well.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrouchyConsciousBlackbird-size_restricted.gif

I really hope they have decent helecopters like bell 429 xtrident 412 and best off all the Huey uh-1 and the chinook
Also I have spent thousands of dollars on add ons and extras like all the Saitek controls and panels for my home cockpit I hope they will work with flightsim 2020
Can someone confirm wether they will work or not
I need to know before I commit to buy
Otherwise I will stick to xplane 11
And also will flightsim 2020 use Vulcan???
And can I use oculus rift or samsung vr
.?

I wouldnā€™t worry about committing to buy, this isnā€™t coming out for a while.And thereā€™s bugger all info on any of that at this point.